2016-2017 NHL Discussion

Kendrick

It's actually the REDBLACKS, supposed to be like soccer teams apparently.

Also the NFL use to award one point as well on kickoffs that went through the uprights

Edited by Smarch

Also that 1 point doesn't automatically get awarded unless the team on defense downs in in the end zone or the kick goes through the back of the end zone. You can return a missed field goal and the kicking team won't get a point. 

1 hour ago, diamond_ace said:

Russian Machine might never break, but it's not a machine designed to build cups. Not unless the President's Trophy somehow gains importance anyway

Context?

13 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

Context?

I figured Ovechkin as well. I used to think Ovechkin won't win a cup because he isn't a team player, but now I realize that its because that team moves through him and thats not good.

10 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

I figured Ovechkin as well. I used to think Ovechkin won't win a cup because he isn't a team player, but now I realize that its because that team moves through him and thats not good.

I do not understand the mentality that people that so and so cannot win a Cup. If Shawn Thornton can win multiple Cups than anybody can win in the right environment.

10 minutes ago, Dangles13 said:

I do not understand the mentality that people that so and so cannot win a Cup. If Shawn Thornton can win multiple Cups than anybody can win in the right environment.

Yeah I don't get it either, it's silly to think that X player 'isn't clutch' when it's such a small sample size, just like how David Price and Clayton Kershaw 'aren't clutch' because of 5-6 bad starts when they have 30+ every season. But I do think the Caps have had a large enough sample size that it's worth wondering if they need to change something

15 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

Yeah I don't get it either, it's silly to think that X player 'isn't clutch' when it's such a small sample size, just like how David Price and Clayton Kershaw 'aren't clutch' because of 5-6 bad starts when they have 30+ every season. But I do think the Caps have had a large enough sample size that it's worth wondering if they need to change something

I have no problem with people wondering that or if San Jose needs to do something different but if you tell me that Ovechkin wouldn't have a cup even if he had been on Chicago the past 5 seasons then I'm going to call you crazy.

1 hour ago, Dangles13 said:

My thinking was about the teams mentality and structure, not the player.

It's like if I said the Vikings go solely through Adrian Peterson they will never win, because you need a balance.

Also it's easier for a 4th liner to be a champ because he can literally sign a contract every 2nd season and not be tied down like a franchise player.

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

Well how does Latta work into the whole Russian machine? Latta isn't all that good.

The link the guy posted on fb was to the blog Russian Machine Never Breaks, which is Caps in general (although with more frequent content toward the Russian players) and the guy was all upset about losing Latta for some reason. Then I thought about what a non-breaking machine could do, and my mind went on a tangent leading to the concept of a machine that designs and produces cups, as opposed to a machine that does anything else, which would be the Caps. Decided even though it didn't have a direct tie to a thing here (which honestly, if I'm posting something, it's not always going to have a context) that I would take the opportunity to jab at the Caps while the Pens were the champs. That's not always going to be the case, so I'll take the opportunity while I can.

1 hour ago, Kendrick said:

That just makes me hate the Pens and their fans more haha

Hey at least I'm acknowledging we're not always going to be the top team (I would know, I've experienced the times we weren't even in the playoffs)

3 hours ago, Kendrick said:

That just makes me hate the Pens and their fans more haha

Slightly bragging after your team wins the championship makes you hate that teams fans? And weren't you just saying a similar thing about the Caps?

Edited by ADwyer87