2016-2017 NHL Discussion

Kendrick

55 minutes ago, BeanSobie said:

He's right handed.  Devils had a ton of right handed D though, so he played on the left.  Oilers most likely targeted him in large part because of his handedness and wanting a Top Four right handed blueliner.  I think this year some study came out about the effectiveness of handiness between defensive pairings and I guess Edmonton really bought into it.

Edit: If you are into that kind of thing here's some hockey graphs

I have read that before, personally I don't think there are enough quality righty defenders to worry about it but it is preferred. I just thought Larsson played right when he played with Greene.

dat click bait title

funny how getting the top canadian right handed D is still considered as a bad trade. Subban reached his max potentiel and weber is a superior player. The window for the habs is now open and weber will give us more in the next 3 years than subban, plain simple

15 minutes ago, boubabi said:

dat click bait title

funny how getting the top canadian right handed D is still considered as a bad trade. Subban reached his max potentiel and weber is a superior player. The window for the habs is now open and weber will give us more in the next 3 years than subban, plain simple

agree with this completely

Weber is a G. In a short-term situation, I would definitely take him on a contending team over Pernell Karl.

5 hours ago, Dangles13 said:

By pussy you mean what exactly?

I also thought Adam was right side?

I mean he is as soft as butter. That skate to the forehead is something he couldn't avoid, but he is actually the biggest pussy. Even in his interviews you can tell he is soft.

6 hours ago, Kendrick said:

I mean he is as soft as butter. That skate to the forehead is something he couldn't avoid, but he is actually the biggest pussy. Even in his interviews you can tell he is soft.

I was looking for something more substantial then "he is actually the biggest pussy" but whatever lol. He likes to whine to refs which is one of my top 3 biggest pet peeves ever but he plays with his heart on his sleeve and isn't afraid of going to dirty areas. He pops back up after plenty of big hits and doesn't fake injuries but he's not overtly physical.

Also I don't think you can tell someone is soft from an interview, that is like people calling each other soft on the internet. 

6 hours ago, Frank said:

Weber's a tank and Subban is a loose canon. I understand the term and age concern though, but clearly Molson wanted Subban off the team. 

His drop in play was also a concern for me.  Hoping there isnt much wear and tear from the tough West.

If I was a Montreal fan I'd be seething right now. Weber is a stud, no doubt, but that contract is scary. Also, not that it really says too much, but PK was the 2nd highest +/- on MON, while Weber was the 3rd lowest +/- on NAS. PK was the highest D in +/- on MON, Weber was the lowest D in +/- on NAS.

Hmmmm....

14 minutes ago, Knight said:

If I was a Montreal fan I'd be seething right now. Weber is a stud, no doubt, but that contract is scary. Also, not that it really says too much, but PK was the 2nd highest +/- on MON, while Weber was the 3rd lowest +/- on NAS. PK was the highest D in +/- on MON, Weber was the lowest D in +/- on NAS.

Hmmmm....

I'm an analytics guy so I know I'm not always gonna share opinions with someone, but PK trumps Weber, especially defensively, when it comes to analytics.  Mainly due to his puck movement and shot suppression.

My big worry with Montreal, is their defense is incredibly slow now and they don't really have any great puck movers.  Beaulieu and Markov can both move the puck, but Markov isn't really what he used to be in that department.  Shea Weber adds a more physical element and a better shot, but I'm worried that without PK and with a slower less dynamic defender, the defense might struggle against the fast Eastern Conference.

I know some people bring up the 2 year window because of Price but I'm not really that worried about him signing and all that..especially given how young Galchenyuk and Gallagher are.  I think there was room for PK in that.  Obviously management doesn't agree and that's fine.  I was just hoping we'd go in a bit of a different direction than Weber, who frankly was rather abysmal towards the end of the year.  Excellent player still and he might not have as much wear and tear put on him, playing in the Eastern Conference.  But as someone who as been watching PK since he was 16 (was season ticket holder for Belleville)...this admittedly has been pretty tough because I did have an emotional attachment to him.  As much as I am a diehard Habs fan, I will cheer for PK wherever he goes as well.  Just too many positive memories with him on the ice and off the ice.

With the above being said, it seems clear PK and some of his teammates/coaching staff didn't mesh.  He's a good dude but with a very strong personality that many took the wrong way, and it appears that given his NMC would kick in July 1, that Bergevin and company were worried it may get worse.

For me, some of that team needs to grow a set, along with a back bone and learn that boring cardboard boxes are not the only personality you can have.

However, with all that being said, I think this will be good for PK and perhaps good for Montreal too (if indeed, some players didn't like his brash personality).  PK will most definitely benefit from not playing in Therrien's more defensive system so I actually think that could be pretty fun to watch. 

There are no excuses now though.  If they don't show up...it will be a wake up call that PK wasn't the issue.  And by show up, I do not mean Carey carrying them to 2-1 victories where they get ridiculously outplayed.  The whole team needs to step up now.

Edited by Advantage

19 hours ago, Knight said:

Any EDM or MON fans here? How absolutely seemingly brutal are those deals?

Quite brutal, even Edmonton does sign Lucic, and I like Lucic. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking.

I think the two teams got confused in trade offers. If Edmonton traded Hall (or literally anyone) for Weber, I'd be a lot more okay with that. :D

Also I think Montreal won that trade because Weber is the tits fuck all the haters.

6 hours ago, Dangles13 said:

I was looking for something more substantial then "he is actually the biggest pussy" but whatever lol. He likes to whine to refs which is one of my top 3 biggest pet peeves ever but he plays with his heart on his sleeve and isn't afraid of going to dirty areas. He pops back up after plenty of big hits and doesn't fake injuries but he's not overtly physical.

Also I don't think you can tell someone is soft from an interview, that is like people calling each other soft on the internet. 

No he is soft haha. I'm a Devils fan so I should like the trade, and I do. I'm just saying he reminds me of the kid who thinks he is entitled to good things just because his parents are rich, but he is just a big wuss. I don't know I always found him to be kind of a little kid.

31 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Now the only thing Montreal needs is a game breaker up front. Not a single one of their forwards scares defences. MP67 doesn't at all, he is just a solid forward.

Would agree.  A Ladd, Okposo, Backes or Eriksson would be very good for that top 6.  To me AG27 is scarier than Paciorettt.

35 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

No he is soft haha. I'm a Devils fan so I should like the trade, and I do. I'm just saying he reminds me of the kid who thinks he is entitled to good things just because his parents are rich, but he is just a big wuss. I don't know I always found him to be kind of a little kid.

I think it's his face tbh.

7 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Would agree.  A Ladd, Okposo, Backes or Eriksson would be very good for that top 6.  To me AG27 is scarier than Paciorettt.

Which says a lot about their offence, he doesn't even scare me. It's hard to pick out a guy that worries defences. I feel like none of the four scare anyone, but they would add to the top 6 for sure.