2016-2017 NHL Discussion

Kendrick

6 hours ago, ADwyer87 said:

Slightly bragging after your team wins the championship makes you hate that teams fans? And weren't you just saying a similar thing about the Caps?

He's not even a Caps fan...

Also, any other fanbase is allowed to support their team vocally and at the expense of other teams, especially those teams who've developed somewhat of a rivalry. Pens fans, on the other hand, are expected to sit there quietly and knit scarves, or everyone will hate us. It makes no sense, but it's the way of the league apparently. Complete double standard, but if we call them out on it, it's just confirming the hate even more...

1 hour ago, diamond_ace said:

He's not even a Caps fan...

Also, any other fanbase is allowed to support their team vocally and at the expense of other teams, especially those teams who've developed somewhat of a rivalry. Pens fans, on the other hand, are expected to sit there quietly and knit scarves, or everyone will hate us. It makes no sense, but it's the way of the league apparently. Complete double standard, but if we call them out on it, it's just confirming the hate even more...

@diamond_ace @ADwyer87 I think you guys need to put your reading glasses on. When was I saying anything about my myself bragging about the Caps or Pens?

I mentioned that the Caps won't succeed if they think their entire offence can flow through one player (i.e. Ovechkin) because I figure Jason was talking about Ovechkin when he eluded to the "Russian Machine", then again he provided no context so if you want to get your panties in a notch, go see @diamond_ace.

The reason I said I dislike the Pens fans after a comment you made was more because even after winning you trash another team. It goes back to the whole yzerman effect. Growing up watching him and Niedermayer when they won cups, they won them and shutup about it to others. It's called winning with grace haha.

Love the whole "double standard" thing you claim though, boo hoo. It's not a double standard, it's the same gripe I had about Bruins fans, Hawks fans and any other bandwagoner that though "his" team was the greatest of all time. Congrats you won, now you had little to do with that so do it with grace haha. Thanks for twisting my entire words around, bodes well for future convos.

Maybe you have had the same gripe when other teams win. If so, you're in the minority. Much of the hockey fan community hates when the Pens fans say anything, but are perfectly content to see Bruins/Hawks fans or any other fans say the exact same things.

Also: good to know that sitting through the Rico Fata years gets me labeled the same way as the people who didn't know there was a hockey before Crosby...

34 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Maybe you have had the same gripe when other teams win. If so, you're in the minority. Much of the hockey fan community hates when the Pens fans say anything, but are perfectly content to see Bruins/Hawks fans or any other fans say the exact same things.

Also: good to know that sitting through the Rico Fata years gets me labeled the same way as the people who didn't know there was a hockey before Crosby...

Same gripe? There are still a select amount of people out there who hate boasting when the person boasting has no effect haha. I think you saying "are perfect content.." just screams "poor us", and quite frankly that's not the case. Maybe you need to hang out in a different circle if thats what you hear.

I never labelled you a bandwagoner for the record, I mentioned that bandwagoners are the reason I hate when people trash other teams when they just won. You won! Great, don't go boasting to people that actually respect you otherwise they'll lose it. Go boast to people who trashed your team. As far as I see it no one on this board trashes the Pens (except for Flyers/Eagles) and they do it in a pretty respectable manner. I'm a Devils fan, I could trash the Pens easily if I wanted but I choose not too.

Flyers/Eagles pretty much have to. It's part of being from Philly. Otherwise, this board is generally one of the better places toward being fine with whoever you want to be a fan of. You know I enjoy most of the people on here (even Flyers/Eagles when they're not talking hockey, actually they're two of my favorites, especially Eagles I mean I did give him my team...)

The groups I have the complaints about are big national facebook sports groups - it seems like the hockey contingents of said groups are strictly anti-Pens even when they'll allow the same thing from other teams. It's not you guys, but it's definitely a thing that exists

13 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Flyers/Eagles pretty much have to. It's part of being from Philly. Otherwise, this board is generally one of the better places toward being fine with whoever you want to be a fan of. You know I enjoy most of the people on here (even Flyers/Eagles when they're not talking hockey, actually they're two of my favorites, especially Eagles I mean I did give him my team...)

The groups I have the complaints about are big national facebook sports groups - it seems like the hockey contingents of said groups are strictly anti-Pens even when they'll allow the same thing from other teams. It's not you guys, but it's definitely a thing that exists

Of course, but that's what I'm saying is you have to separate those from this board. Because on this board I have come to realize members are of higher intelligence in regards to hockey at least. Which is why the "Context" thing really sucks when you don't give any.

@Kendrick no one is twisting your words around here. @diamond_ace saw a post about the Caps talking about how the "Russian machine" never stops, and he made a joke about it since the Pens beat them this year. On top of that he specifically mentioned he's enjoying the moment because he knows it won't be that way all the time. That's not acting like we are the best team ever, that's acting like we are this year's winner, nothing more. It was also him responding to a boastful comment, albeit with one of his own, but still not him just showing off right away.

as far as your "winning with grace" argument, I mean, you're asking fans and players to suppress basic human emotions, like being really fucking happy when you or your team win the highest honor in your sport. I mean you're a Devil fan, you've had 3 Stanley cups in recent memory, were you not excited for those at all? Did you "shut up about it to others" the offseason after you guys won like you are telling us to do? I mean dang, you're mad about people celebrating the cup a little over 2 weeks after it happened. Even then I have barely said anything on here because I KNEW if I mentioned being excited about the Pens winning I would get ripped like I have before, so I would say I've done a lot of what you have been asking. I mean I HATE the Cavs, but who am I to deny them the right to celebrate winning their first NBA championship??? If I was in their place I would be ecstatic.

also, as for your comment about "no one on this board trashes the Pens", that's just not true at all

1 hour ago, ADwyer87 said:

@Kendrick no one is twisting your words around here. @diamond_ace saw a post about the Caps talking about how the "Russian machine" never stops, and he made a joke about it since the Pens beat them this year. On top of that he specifically mentioned he's enjoying the moment because he knows it won't be that way all the time. That's not acting like we are the best team ever, that's acting like we are this year's winner, nothing more. It was also him responding to a boastful comment, albeit with one of his own, but still not him just showing off right away.

as far as your "winning with grace" argument, I mean, you're asking fans and players to suppress basic human emotions, like being really fucking happy when you or your team win the highest honor in your sport. I mean you're a Devil fan, you've had 3 Stanley cups in recent memory, were you not excited for those at all? Did you "shut up about it to others" the offseason after you guys won like you are telling us to do? I mean dang, you're mad about people celebrating the cup a little over 2 weeks after it happened. Even then I have barely said anything on here because I KNEW if I mentioned being excited about the Pens winning I would get ripped like I have before, so I would say I've done a lot of what you have been asking. I mean I HATE the Cavs, but who am I to deny them the right to celebrate winning their first NBA championship??? If I was in their place I would be ecstatic.

also, as for your comment about "no one on this board trashes the Pens", that's just not true at all

Was I excited? You damn well know i was excited. Did I boast to other fans? Not a chance. Because I knew full well they didn't want to hear that shit.

Jason posted something without context, if he doesn't want it to reach disgusted ears, post some context haha, its really that simple man. Who bashes the Pens that you know of? If you don't real my previous comment before answering then I know full well who I'm talking too. Devise is a Caps fan, so naming him is rather stupid also considering the Crosby/Ovie rivalry spurred hate form both fanbases.

Also @ADwyer87 I never trashed the Pens. I took issue with the media, and unacknowledged hockey fans love for Crosby over shadowing how good he actually was, making him appear better, and ultimately not giving the proper credit to reasons why you guys won. Kessel was robbed of the Conn Smythe by a country mile imo. But that debate is here nor there.

Nobody said anything like that in the context of Jason, @diamond_ace post. He literally just posted some stuff about the blog site Russian Machine never breaks with any context and I had literally no idea what he was saying. So I simply posted "context". In what way was anything boastful talking shit about anything or anyone associated with him there? 

It's not like someone said "hey the Caps are winning the Cup through Ovechkin and running the offense through him." It felt as if Jason saw the name of the Russian blog and laughed at it's pun or something and felt the need to essentially trash that, what is probably a joke name, on our forum and somehow loosely relate it to something that wasn't even going on in the thread at the time. I mean most Caps fans I know don't think Ovechkin as our only offensive producer is somehow a strategy for success. And I'd argue he isn't or only offensive producer as well, considering you know Kuzy, Oshie, Backstrom. I mean in the straight up series this year it was the fact that your guys offense ran through that third line, and Murray, that was the huge difference maker that series. Crosby/Malkin were not dominating that series offensively. Meanwhile the Caps sacrificed bottom six depth heading into the season by losing players like Ward, Fehr, and Brouwer and ultimately it was the better bottom six depth by the Pens that decided the series. REGARDLESS, there was no debates of any sort happening at the time. 

I also think it's hilarious that taking shots at rivaled teams when you win a Championship is somehow considered to you "enjoying the moment of being champion." It'd be fine if someone supporting a rival team called him out in some way. But nobody did. I mean perhaps he's reacting to what seems to be a larger just "fuck the Pens" consensus. But that is happening with the Cavs too. You guys seem to forget that a large reason a lot of fans dislike it when teams with those type of stars on them win is because in real life, or online, people hear and see never ending arguments supporting those players claims to the greatest of the greatest. It gets tiring to hear about one player over and over and over. Pittsburgh wasn't just Crosby in the same way that players like Irving and Love etc made a difference in that NBA series. Like for me, even as a rival, was nice to see some quality guys like Fehr, Bonnino, Bennet, get a cup. Same for some of your younger D, they had a lot of pressure on them in the playoffs and while they didn't play perfect by any means the coming together of a team to work through some of the issues was fine. And how about Kessel? What a great revenge story. Traded, thought he'd be this huge big deal playing with Crosby and Malkin, and as that chemistry really didn't work and several things caused the Pens to struggle early in the season it was a good irony to see Kessel, removed from Crosby/Malkin all together playing on a third line be one of the key determining factors in brining Pitt back to the Cup. 

But considering Crosby didn't deserve the Conne, yeah there is going to be some hate for people leveraging this shit to use an excuse to simply talk about how great he is over and over and over. It'll happen if the Caps ever magically win the Cup. It'll happen if McDavid ever wins etc. 

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Caps may never win a cup but we have the best fan run blog by a mile in RMNB 

Never read anything from them but Oilersnation used to be good. Now it seems like a big circle jerk and quality has gone down a little with each last place finish.

8 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

Also @ADwyer87 I never trashed the Pens. I took issue with the media, and unacknowledged hockey fans love for Crosby over shadowing how good he actually was, making him appear better, and ultimately not giving the proper credit to reasons why you guys won. Kessel was robbed of the Conn Smythe by a country mile imo. But that debate is here nor there.

Nobody said anything like that in the context of Jason, @diamond_ace post. He literally just posted some stuff about the blog site Russian Machine never breaks with any context and I had literally no idea what he was saying. So I simply posted "context". In what way was anything boastful talking shit about anything or anyone associated with him there? 

It's not like someone said "hey the Caps are winning the Cup through Ovechkin and running the offense through him." It felt as if Jason saw the name of the Russian blog and laughed at it's pun or something and felt the need to essentially trash that, what is probably a joke name, on our forum and somehow loosely relate it to something that wasn't even going on in the thread at the time. I mean most Caps fans I know don't think Ovechkin as our only offensive producer is somehow a strategy for success. And I'd argue he isn't or only offensive producer as well, considering you know Kuzy, Oshie, Backstrom. I mean in the straight up series this year it was the fact that your guys offense ran through that third line, and Murray, that was the huge difference maker that series. Crosby/Malkin were not dominating that series offensively. Meanwhile the Caps sacrificed bottom six depth heading into the season by losing players like Ward, Fehr, and Brouwer and ultimately it was the better bottom six depth by the Pens that decided the series. REGARDLESS, there was no debates of any sort happening at the time. 

I also think it's hilarious that taking shots at rivaled teams when you win a Championship is somehow considered to you "enjoying the moment of being champion." It'd be fine if someone supporting a rival team called him out in some way. But nobody did. I mean perhaps he's reacting to what seems to be a larger just "fuck the Pens" consensus. But that is happening with the Cavs too. You guys seem to forget that a large reason a lot of fans dislike it when teams with those type of stars on them win is because in real life, or online, people hear and see never ending arguments supporting those players claims to the greatest of the greatest. It gets tiring to hear about one player over and over and over. Pittsburgh wasn't just Crosby in the same way that players like Irving and Love etc made a difference in that NBA series. Like for me, even as a rival, was nice to see some quality guys like Fehr, Bonnino, Bennet, get a cup. Same for some of your younger D, they had a lot of pressure on them in the playoffs and while they didn't play perfect by any means the coming together of a team to work through some of the issues was fine. And how about Kessel? What a great revenge story. Traded, thought he'd be this huge big deal playing with Crosby and Malkin, and as that chemistry really didn't work and several things caused the Pens to struggle early in the season it was a good irony to see Kessel, removed from Crosby/Malkin all together playing on a third line be one of the key determining factors in brining Pitt back to the Cup. 

But considering Crosby didn't deserve the Conne, yeah there is going to be some hate for people leveraging this shit to use an excuse to simply talk about how great he is over and over and over. It'll happen if the Caps ever magically win the Cup. It'll happen if McDavid ever wins etc. 

Agreed what won us the cup was 3 lines of depth, the chemistry between HBK, and some of the younger guys. Also Murray getting hot. Crosby had quite a small role in it actually!

3 hours ago, Knight said:

Crosby deserved the Conn Smythe. Don't be so ludicrous. 

Disagree completely. 

Crosby has 19 points in 24 games. 11 of those 19 games Crosby had 0 points. Which means he actually had 19 points in 8 games. His effectiveness wasn't also clutch in any department save for in that first series. Against the Caps he had 2 assists in six games. He was literally a non factor in determining anything in that series. Meanwhile, the ACTUAL MVP

Phil Kessel 22 points in 24 games. Kessel was only held off the scoresheet 8 times, he contributed offense on a more consistent basis that Crosby did, and was more involved in ever series. 

Crosby - 8 Points Against the Rangers (thats right, almost half his entire point total was gained in the first series.) 2 Points Against the Capitals, 5 Points Against TBL and 4 Against SJ. Despite the fact that the TBL and Caps series both went longer than 5 games, he really was only doing Conn Smyth level damage in that first round. The Capitals shut him down masterfully. TBL and SJ struggled a bit to shut him down, but kept him off the scoresheet a bunch. Crosby only had 1 game without a point after the first round, and had 10 more games without a point in the next 3 rounds. 

Kessel - 4 Points Against the Rangers in 5 games. 6 Points Against the Capitals in 6 games. 6 Points Against the Ligthning in 7 games. 4 Points Against the Sharks in 5 games. You see the consistency? 

Arguments can be made for other players too, like Murray who as a rookie had a .923 save percentage and a 2.08 goals against average. He stole games in critical series, and I know it may be "biased" but he certainly stole games against the Caps. Which is hilariously the series in which the "supposed" playoff MVP was essentially irrelevant. 2 assists in 6 games of a series is not what I'd call contributing. That doesn't even factor in other players, like from San Jose for example. I'm fine with it going to a Pitt player though, but Crosby had no business in any sense of the word winning that award. One good series, in the first round no less, shouldn't justify a MVP when the big factor why his team got passed Washington and got past Tampa had nothing to do with him. I mean how can you justify an argument for him as MVP when he had 8 points in 5 games against the Rangers, and then didn't compile another 8 points at all in the entire playoffs until he got to the finals. So he went from being able to pot 8 points in 5 games, to potting 8 points in like 12 more games. He was shut down so much in the playoffs, and other players on his own team were more consistent, and even had more total points. Where is the argument? It's called media bias, plain and simple. And this isn't a "I hate Crosby so fuck him." If he was deserving of the damn award I'd gladly see him raise it. He's simply not. 

Edited by Mr. Power

It was a mistake bumping the old thread @Kendrick Maybe this one should be pinned? :P

Also yeah I am calling a sign and trade on Stamkos. With how long he held out, his issues with some of the team stuff I highly doubt he signed that term with those dollars with TB to stay there. 

Montreal is insane. What were they thinking? Man is Subban ever going to be a BIG DEAL in Nashville. Nashville looks way better now imo. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

It was a mistake bumping the old thread @Kendrick Maybe this one should be pinned? :P

Also yeah I am calling a sign and trade on Stamkos. With how long he held out, his issues with some of the team stuff I highly doubt he signed that term with those dollars with TB to stay there. 

Montreal is insane. What were they thinking? Man is Subban ever going to be a BIG DEAL in Nashville. Nashville looks way better now imo. 

1. @Draper @JardyB10 @Higgins Pin this.

2. Uh....Montreal got a hell of a player. A player who is better in their own end.