Ranking Teams Based on How Well They've Kept Track Of Their Own History

Tagger

It's getting close to that time of the VHL Season where I'll look to update the New York Americans Career Stats and Awards, and even though it can be a long task (obviously determinant on how successful the team is) it's something that I've enjoyed doing since I took over the GM role from @Advantage. I've always liked looking back at stats and I definitely think it's cool when you can tell someone that they've set a franchise record for a franchise that's been around for nearly 50 seasons! So I decided to have a look around the league and see how everyone else is doing in embracing their team's history, and here's the ranking that I've come up with

Note: This isn't intended to knock GM's who haven't necessarily kept track of their team's history as well as some of the others and really more to do with praising those who have done a good job at keeping stuff up to date. Any kind of stuff like this should be considered a bonus. Additional note should be that this only includes stuff posted in the team forum. There's a chance that extra data may be kept in private forums (e.g. Locker Rooms), but if that's the case, let's get this kind of stuff on the forums, let's showcase our team's history rather than keep it hidden!

T-8th: Calgary/Seattle

Currently, there are no historical details in either of these two North American team's forum. If stats have not been tracked to this point, then unfortunately they may be lost (Due to the loss of every index prior to Season 18 I believe), but it would be cool to see some extra history in here, like their award winners and Hall of Famers for example. 

7th: Cologne

They've got a good base to work off of as they're in a position to track all statistics the team has accrued as one of the two expansion teams (props to Kendrick for that), however the spreadsheet hasn't been updated since Season 37, so is a bit behind atm.

6th: Stockholm

Unfortunately, Boubabi was not left with much statistical data to work with upon his appointment as Stockholm GM, but he did a good job of tracking team statistical data from his appointment onward. Unfortunately, there is no data from their time as Vasteras available, but he did well with what he had to work with. Last Updated Season 47

5th: Quebec

Special props to Brovy for doing work on his own in getting some extra historical threads on his team forum upon his appointment as GM. Unlike Cologne they are missing career statistics, but at least all are traceable from the retrievable indexes and they do have a season by season breakdown of leaders in statistical categories. Last updated Season 42

4th: Toronto

Credit should go to Molholt for producing historical threads for the team, such as award winners and Hall of Famers, but unfortunately there's no statistical data for the team to track franchise records. Somewhat surprisingly hasn't been updated since Season 47 given Toronto's recent success, but I'm sure that'll change soon.

3rd: Riga

May seem high considering they only have all-time statistics that were last updated at the conclusion of Season 43 but team statistics is something that isn't going to be tracked by league authority, so to have an all-time statistics tracker kept up to a point where anyone could update it themselves (All indexes from S44 are easily accessible) is good stuff.

2nd: Davos

Credit to Coach for keeping track of his team's Hall of Famers and updating a career spreadsheet that has stats tracked up until Season 45. Like Riga, it's in a position where it's very easy to bring up to date

1st: Helsinki

Helsinki are currently in possession of the most up-to-date career spreadsheet in the VHL, as it has been updated every season up to Season 48 for skaters, so only needs last season's data to be fully up to date. Props to Higgins, STZ and Draper for their recent efforts in this department!

Edited by YEAH!stlemania

2 minutes ago, Molholt said:

Too much work to do team stats. 

For Toronto, I was more implying it may not be possible anyway due to lack of information available pre S18

Edited by YEAH!stlemania

19 minutes ago, brovy said:

It took forever to do the first 12 seasons and there really is no point in updating it every season. Maybe one day ill update it aha.

Hmm, I actually think the exact opposite tbh, I mean if you update it every season, it's only about 5-10 mins max per season to update. If you leave it longer though, like you mentioned with when you got your original figures, it takes forever and the amount of work you give yourself leaves you more likely to put it off longer, meaning it's going to take even longer when you do eventually get round to it. That's basically why I do it every season, because I know if I don't, it's eventually going to pile up to be a shitload of work that I won't want to do.

Edited by YEAH!stlemania

• Senior Admin

really if you keep career stats up-to-date at least every few seasons...it's not a very big job. You're going to have what, like, 8 players at most to update. Takes a couple mins per season if you stay on top of it and it's pretty cool to be able to tell people their getting close to franchise records or what have you. 

• Senior Admin

Also im not sure if other LR's have anything similar but Helsinki also has a few things inside of the LR.. every Titan who's ever won a VHL award is listed (broken down by each award) and a little bit of info on each Continental Cup that the franchise has won.

12 minutes ago, Draper said:

Also im not sure if other LR's have anything similar but Helsinki also has a few things inside of the LR.. every Titan who's ever won a VHL award is listed (broken down by each award) and a little bit of info on each Continental Cup that the franchise has won.

We have a similar area, but since all of the topics we've covered in there are in our team forum, it's kinda irrelevant especially since I update the current team forum ones every season anyway. I also don't get why people would hide their history, when if they didn't, people could maybe use that information to generate interesting new stuff

4 hours ago, Draper said:

Cologne has had that since they came in S31