GM 81: Stockholm vs. Helsinki

JardyB10

36 minutes ago, BMax said:

Oh but it was

I mean, most of the free world would disagree, also most of your country!

OH SNAP!

But for real, even you guys have to agree the making up facts that are super easy to disprove is kind of silly right?

People kind of tend to disprove them a lot.

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

OH SNAP!

But for real, even you guys have to agree the making up facts that are super easy to disprove is kind of silly right?

I don't know, the CBC still does it constantly and nobody seems to mind

13 minutes ago, Jericho said:

OH SNAP!

You are fake news

20 minutes ago, Jericho said:

OH SNAP!

Well luckily we are the largest country in the world. Also all those idiots who oppose Trump are whiny little insignificant moronic libtards. All they do is cry that the best candidate won even when the election was rigged in Killary's favor.

55 minutes ago, BMax said:

Well luckily we are the largest country in the world. Also all those idiots who oppose Trump are whiny little insignificant moronic libtards. All they do is cry that the best candidate won even when the election was rigged in Killary's favor.

I mean, geographically that isn't true.

Best candidate is debatable, but it wasn't as if he was going up against someone good anyway. Your country had to pick between two morons, so winning the race is like winning the special olympics.

His travel ban has gone over great so far though hasn't it? That's why the supreme court overturned it.

16 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I mean, geographically that isn't true.

Best candidate is debatable, but it wasn't as if he was going up against someone good anyway. Your country had to pick between two morons, so winning the race is like winning the special olympics.

His travel ban has gone over great so far though hasn't it? That's why the supreme court overturned it.

LMAO the supreme court is a fucking joke.

1 minute ago, BMax said:

LMAO the supreme court is a fucking joke.

I would argue that your president is more of a joke.

The rest of the free world feels that way, and even most of your country disagrees with you (granted not by much).

Edited by Jericho

Obama, Bush and Carter all had similar travel bans in place. The only reason why Trumps received such public outcry was a combination of Left run media outlets crying that you would have to be racist to support it and that is was announced right after a divided election which gave his opposition something to jump on. I am Canadian and going through his policies I agree with most of what he has done thus far. As a person I think he needs to grow the fuck up and stop acting like a child on his Twitter account. As far as the travel ban, Obama made that list of seven countries as the next seven he'd do after Cuba, Trump implemented it.

5 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Obama, Bush and Carter all had similar travel bans in place. The only reason why Trumps received such public outcry was a combination of Left run media outlets crying that you would have to be racist to support it and that is was announced right after a divided election which gave his opposition something to jump on. I am Canadian and going through his policies I agree with most of what he has done thus far. As a person I think he needs to grow the fuck up and stop acting like a child on his Twitter account. As far as the travel ban, Obama made that list of seven countries as the next seven he'd do after Cuba, Trump implemented it.

Few differences though, Trump made his as an executive order. Obama's wasn't. Trump's was for 7 countries, Obama's was for 1. Obama made his after finding two terrorist sympathizers entered the country. Trump didn't. I'm not familiar with Bush or Carters (and you could argue that the world was a little different in Carter's day [as well as Bush depending on which Bush you're talking about]).

The twitter thing I think we can all agree on. I'm Canadian as well, but I can't support almost any of what he's done so far.

Just now, BMax said:

I would argue Canada is a joke

I would argue that you haven't actually said anything in this whole thread. Blanket statements don't really mean anything, you're just spouting opinions. I'm making points to back up my opinions. We can start into using data if you want, but I don't think you're prepared to go down that road.

9 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Few differences though, Trump made his as an executive order. Obama's wasn't. Trump's was for 7 countries, Obama's was for 1. Obama made his after finding two terrorist sympathizers entered the country. Trump didn't. I'm not familiar with Bush or Carters (and you could argue that the world was a little different in Carter's day [as well as Bush depending on which Bush you're talking about]).

The twitter thing I think we can all agree on. I'm Canadian as well, but I can't support almost any of what he's done so far.

Trumps executive orders thus far

Three orders establishing three Department of Justice task forces to fight drug cartels, reduce violent crime and reduce attacks against police. 

I agree with this

An order directing the Treasury secretary to review the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial regulatory law.

I'm torn on this one, the law has it's positives and his draw backs

A memorandum instructing the Labor Department to delay implementing an Obama rule requiring financial professionals who are giving advice on retirement, and who charge commissions, to put their client's interests first.

I agree, it sounds like a good idea but the wording allows for people to be taken advantage of in other ways.

An order instructing agencies that whenever they introduce a regulation, they must first abolish two others.

I don't care, it's pointless imo

A memorandum to restructure the National Security Council and the Homeland Security Council.

I agree, it's needed

A memorandum directing the Secretary of Defense to draw up a plan within 30 days to defeat ISIS.

Nothing wrong with that besides the fact Obama and Hillary created the damn organization

An order to lengthen the ban on administration officials working as lobbyists. There is now a 5 year-ban on officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government, and a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

One of my favourite things he's done

An executive order imposing a 120-day suspension of the refugee program and a 90-day ban on travel to the U.S. from citizens of seven terror hot spots: Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Sudan.

I don't have a problem with it, it's a temporary ban while they figure some things out

Two multi-pronged orders on border security and immigration enforcement including: the authorization of a U.S.-Mexico border wall; the stripping of federal grant money to sanctuary cities; hiring 5,000 more Border Patrol agents; ending “catch-and-release” policies for illegal immigrants; and reinstating local and state immigration enforcement partnerships.

This wall was proposed by Bill Clinton originally and nobody said anything besides positive statements when he proposed it. There are approximately 3.7 million unlawful immigrant households in the U.S. These households impose a net fiscal burden of around $54.5 billion per year. It's about time someone got this shit under control.

A memorandum calling for a 30-day review of military readiness.

Support it

Two orders reviving the Keystone XL pipeline and Dakota Access pipelines. He also signed three other related orders that would: expedite the environmental permitting process for infrastructure projects related to the pipelines; direct the Commerce Department to streamline the manufacturing permitting process; and give the Commerce Department 180 days to maximize the use of U.S. steel in the pipeline.

My favourite thing he's done thus far. Pipelines are the safest way to transport oil by far. Warren Buffett owns the vast majority of rail cars transporting oil in the USA and he has payed hundreds of millions of dollars to protesters and groups to try and stop these two pipelines. Also this greatly helps my home province of Alberta when the Canadian Government is purposely trying to destroy western Canada.

An order to reinstate the so-called "Mexico City Policy" – a ban on federal funds to international groups that perform abortions or lobby to legalize or promote abortion. The policy was instituted in 1984 by President Reagan, but has gone into and out of effect depending on the party in power in the White House.

The one and only thing he has done I strongly disagree on. Abortions should be a woman right as it is her body.

A notice that the U.S. will begin withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal. Trump called the order "a great thing for the American worker."

I agree

An order imposing a hiring freeze for some federal government workers as a way to shrink the size of government. This excludes the military, as Trump noted at the signing.

Fuck yes

An order that directs federal agencies to ease the “regulatory burdens” of ObamaCare. It orders agencies to “waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement” of ObamaCare that imposes a “fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers, patients, recipients of healthcare services, purchasers of health insurance, or makers of medical devices, products, or medications.”

Agree with this, Obamacare has been ill-received by my US family members and friends that I have talked to, so I base it off of that for the most part

2 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Trumps executive orders thus far

Three orders establishing three Department of Justice task forces to fight drug cartels, reduce violent crime and reduce attacks against police. 

I agree with this

An order directing the Treasury secretary to review the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial regulatory law.

I'm torn on this one, the law has it's positives and his draw backs

A memorandum instructing the Labor Department to delay implementing an Obama rule requiring financial professionals who are giving advice on retirement, and who charge commissions, to put their client's interests first.

I agree, it sounds like a good idea but the wording allows for people to be taken advantage of in other ways.

An order instructing agencies that whenever they introduce a regulation, they must first abolish two others.

I don't care, it's pointless imo

A memorandum to restructure the National Security Council and the Homeland Security Council.

I agree, it's needed

A memorandum directing the Secretary of Defense to draw up a plan within 30 days to defeat ISIS.

Nothing wrong with that besides the fact Obama and Hillary created the damn organization

An order to lengthen the ban on administration officials working as lobbyists. There is now a 5 year-ban on officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government, and a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

One of my favourite things he's done

An executive order imposing a 120-day suspension of the refugee program and a 90-day ban on travel to the U.S. from citizens of seven terror hot spots: Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Sudan.

I don't have a problem with it, it's a temporary ban while they figure some things out

Two multi-pronged orders on border security and immigration enforcement including: the authorization of a U.S.-Mexico border wall; the stripping of federal grant money to sanctuary cities; hiring 5,000 more Border Patrol agents; ending “catch-and-release” policies for illegal immigrants; and reinstating local and state immigration enforcement partnerships.

This wall was proposed by Bill Clinton originally and nobody said anything besides positive statements when he proposed it. There are approximately 3.7 million unlawful immigrant households in the U.S. These households impose a net fiscal burden of around $54.5 billion per year. It's about time someone got this shit under control.

A memorandum calling for a 30-day review of military readiness.

Support it

Two orders reviving the Keystone XL pipeline and Dakota Access pipelines. He also signed three other related orders that would: expedite the environmental permitting process for infrastructure projects related to the pipelines; direct the Commerce Department to streamline the manufacturing permitting process; and give the Commerce Department 180 days to maximize the use of U.S. steel in the pipeline.

My favourite thing he's done thus far. Pipelines are the safest way to transport oil by far. Warren Buffett owns the vast majority of rail cars transporting oil in the USA and he has payed hundreds of millions of dollars to protesters and groups to try and stop these two pipelines. Also this greatly helps my home province of Alberta when the Canadian Government is purposely trying to destroy western Canada.

An order to reinstate the so-called "Mexico City Policy" – a ban on federal funds to international groups that perform abortions or lobby to legalize or promote abortion. The policy was instituted in 1984 by President Reagan, but has gone into and out of effect depending on the party in power in the White House.

The one and only thing he has done I strongly disagree on. Abortions should be a woman right as it is her body.

A notice that the U.S. will begin withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal. Trump called the order "a great thing for the American worker."

I agree

An order imposing a hiring freeze for some federal government workers as a way to shrink the size of government. This excludes the military, as Trump noted at the signing.

Fuck yes

An order that directs federal agencies to ease the “regulatory burdens” of ObamaCare. It orders agencies to “waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement” of ObamaCare that imposes a “fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers, patients, recipients of healthcare services, purchasers of health insurance, or makers of medical devices, products, or medications.”

Agree with this, Obamacare has been ill-received by my US family members and friends that I have talked to, so I base it off of that for the most part

I respect your opinion, but I fundamentally disagree with you on a lot of these points. I do have to say you seem a little more intelligence than most of the Trumples I've had the pleasure of talking to. My main issues with the man have more to do with me thinking he doesn't actually know what he's doing, which we've seen countless examples of. I'm scared of him for the same reason I'm afraid of a 10 year old holding a gun for the first time, you can't know what's going to happen or when it'll happen.

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

I would argue that your president is more of a joke.

The rest of the free world feels that way, and even most of your country disagrees with you (granted not by much).

I would argue that as much as their President is a joke our Prime Minister is just as much so.

6 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I respect your opinion, but I fundamentally disagree with you on a lot of these points. I do have to say you seem a little more intelligence than most of the Trumples I've had the pleasure of talking to. My main issues with the man have more to do with me thinking he doesn't actually know what he's doing, which we've seen countless examples of. I'm scared of him for the same reason I'm afraid of a 10 year old holding a gun for the first time, you can't know what's going to happen or when it'll happen.

I guess that's the difference, my daughter first shot a gun at six years old and I had no fear what so ever because she was properly informed,  trained and supervised. In the same way I think someone trained in real world issues and economics is a good thing over a trust fund baby drama teacher.

11 minutes ago, Scooter said:

I guess that's the difference, my daughter first shot a gun at six years old and I had no fear what so ever because she was properly informed,  trained and supervised. In the same way I think someone trained in real world issues and economics is a good thing over a trust fund baby drama teacher.

I would have more faith in someone who's been properly trained as well in the gun metaphor. A better metaphor would have been that I'd trust the 6 year old who knows to respect the gun over the 20 year old who has none. But I'd call Trump the 6 year old in this case. I grew up with them in the house too, and had the same level of respect at a similar age (though I never fired one before 14).

Just to be clear, I'm not really a fan of Hillary, I just think she's less of a wildcard. She'd do terrible too, but you can probably track where the country will be after the next four years with relative accuracy, where you could tell me you came from the future and that Trump has declared World War 3 and I couldn't tell you with 100% certainty that you're wrong. Literally nothing would surprise me.

It's kind of like that old saying, the greatest swordsman in the world is more afraid of fighting the man who's never held a sword than the second greatest swordsman. When someone has a high range it's hard to gauge their actions. That's fine in a competitive sports setting but it's fucking terrifying in politics.

4 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I would have more faith in someone who's been properly trained as well in the gun metaphor. A better metaphor would have been that I'd trust the 6 year old who knows to respect the gun over the 20 year old who has none. But I'd call Trump the 6 year old in this case. I grew up with them in the house too, and had the same level of respect at a similar age (though I never fired one before 14).

Just to be clear, I'm not really a fan of Hillary, I just think she's less of a wildcard. She'd do terrible too, but you can probably track where the country will be after the next four years with relative accuracy, where you could tell me you came from the future and that Trump has declared World War 3 and I couldn't tell you with 100% certainty that you're wrong. Literally nothing would surprise me.

It's kind of like that old saying, the greatest swordsman in the world is more afraid of fighting the man who's never held a sword than the second greatest swordsman. When someone has a high range it's hard to gauge their actions. That's fine in a competitive sports setting but it's fucking terrifying in politics.

I completely see your point of view, my wife would 100% agree with you. I personally think world war 3 was already started by Bush Jr. during his administration, it's just being fought differently than the past. I also think Hillary vs. Russia would have been a lot worse probability of a major war. I see both sides of the argument, my friends and family constructively debate it on a regular basis. As of right now the things Trump has done impresses me on some level and I will watch him carefully. I'm not a one party, argue until I'm blue in the face supporter. I would rather debate the facts and make educated decisions based on that. I can agree with you on the fact Trump is a wild card and that he acts like a complete moron more often than not, policy however I'd say give him a year or two to see what he comes up with as I did with Trudeau.

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

I completely see your point of view, my wife would 100% agree with you. I personally think world war 3 was already started by Bush Jr. during his administration, it's just being fought differently than the past. I also think Hillary vs. Russia would have been a lot worse probability of a major war. I see both sides of the argument, my friends and family constructively debate it on a regular basis. As of right now the things Trump has done impresses me on some level and I will watch him carefully. I'm not a one party, argue until I'm blue in the face supporter. I would rather debate the facts and make educated decisions based on that. I can agree with you on the fact Trump is a wild card and that he acts like a complete moron more often than not, policy however I'd say give him a year or two to see what he comes up with as I did with Trudeau.

I'd have to say I'm much in the same boat. Definitely more left leaning than right, but I am more into the facts than Left vs Right. Like I said, he could turn out to be great, but his range is too high to be certain of anything. I wish that 'Merca had given us better candidates tbh, because both were terribad. But this is the world we live in.