Game of Thrones

Victor

53 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Seriously, though. People were saying that what happened was brutal, but I expected worse.

I thought the method of death was bad enough, but I was expecting them to be really graphic about it, so in that regard I agree with you.

5 hours ago, Victor said:

I read a while before this season that there might be a prequel season (series?) around Robert's Rebellion after the show's done. Judging by the fact there will be a Bran flashback to that tower with Lyanna tomorrow, I'm hoping they get some continuity and retain whichever actors they picked for the flashbacks here.

I wouldn't count on it, they can barely retain actors from season to season. Although I honestly wouldn't be surprised if such a series simply ended right before the ToJ.

Also I think the Dunk and Egg stories would make a bitchin' series of movies.

5 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

I wouldn't count on it, they can barely retain actors from season to season. Although I honestly wouldn't be surprised if such a series simply ended right before the ToJ.

You would think that actors would love to stay on Game of Thrones.

I could read the series a third time.

In other news, HOW ABOUT TONIGHT'S EPISODE!?

Thoughts:

- wtf, so GreatJon is just dead? He just kinda died? Why couldn't they get that actor back? That's so disappointing.

- More on that plot line, I was crushed by Shaggydog's apparent death, and Rickon getting sold out is a major bummer. However, the ASOIAF community seems convinced it's all a fake out and the SmallJon is a double agent. It has merit, and I hope it's true, but I'm not entirely convinced. From the trailers it looks like The Boltons, Karstarks, and Umbers (perhaps the Manderlys too now?) are going to battle against Jon Snow and the wildlings. If the Umbers turncloak right then, that would be a short and anticlimatic battle. Unless Umber's plan is to eliminate the wildlings AND the Boltons, in which case I still find it hard to believe he'd face off against Jon Snow.

- The Three Eyed Raven claimed to be over a thousand years old. Kind of a weird random change to make from the book, not that it really matters. It would have been fun though to specify that he was a Targaryen bastard, and possibly introduce Dark Sister later, even if neither of those things mean anything to viewers.

- Varys' scene with that Harpy bitch was so great. What a scary dude.

- Speaking of both scary dudes and slight and insignificant book changes, The Motherfucking Mountain. He keeps his identity as Gregor Clegane. Weird. ALSO SO MUCH CLEGANEBOWL HYPE WITH THIS SCENE AND ALSO

- Arya's scene referencing The Hound. I've never been so convinced of #CLEGANEBOWL as much as I am now. Also I really like the pacing with her storyline. Glad they didn't drag out her blind training all season, although in the books

her being blind helps awaken her warging abilities

, so I hope they find another way to include that.

- Speaking of which, back to Jon and also random changes from the novels. When Mel asks Jon what being dead was like, he says he saw nothing. But dead skinchanger's consciousness go to their animals. JON SHOULD HAVE REMEMBERED HIS TIME AS GHOST! So either the show is skipping this, or something else is going on. Probably the former, which is disappointing.

- Tormund making dick jokes. All in the world is right.

All in all, a very good episode. This season is going to be bananas. I cannot get enough of this shit.

• Admin

To be fair they forgot about Greatjon after season 1. He was top adviser man then before they went nah, actually Robb spends most of his time talking to Roose. I'm not sure he was even shown at the red wedding.

I am not too pleased with the north storyline but I suppose they've made too many changes from Davos staying at Castle Black, the total lack of Manderlys, Stannis' accelerated demise (if that even happens), to Sansa at Winterfell. And Brienne in the north. I'm glad they've at least expanded it to include other families since S4 and S5 was basically just Boltons left here.

I'm trying to remember if Qyburn ever referred to zombie mountain as Robert Strong in S5E10. I assume not since that would be a terrible continuity error within the show but there's been bad ones anyway. In any case, I don't know why they wouldn't incorporate that. It's not like the casual audience would have remembered his name, he's just the Mountain. What does it matter what the huge bloke is called? Eh whatever.

RIP Ser Alliser the cunt. That said I won't miss him spending all his screen time saying Jon let wildlings through the Wall.

Shame Janos got the honourable death of beheading but Alliser hanged though.

In the end, Jon's random turn is what many expected but they did a really shitty job explaining it. As in, not at all. Hoping for more clarity soon.

Also, WHERE THE FUCK IS BAELISH

• Admin

On another note, is anyone else irked like me by Davos constantly dropping F bombs these days? I realise he's a commoner at the end of the day but he never did it before.

You could argue he used to speak to a king and princess all the time and now hangs out with bastards and depressed red women priests but I wouldn't give the show the credit. Dothraki bros case in point.

14 hours ago, Victor said:

I'm trying to remember if Qyburn ever referred to zombie mountain as Robert Strong in S5E10.

Shame Janos got the honourable death of beheading but Alliser hanged though.

In the end, Jon's random turn is what many expected but they did a really shitty job explaining it. As in, not at all. Hoping for more clarity soon.

Also, WHERE THE FUCK IS BAELISH

He didn't, he's just like, "Cersei, check this shit out!"

Well, he had to be practical. There was four dudes at once. Plus he still looked them in the eyes, got the last words, and swung the sword.

I'm sure they will. To me he appears depressed/disillusioned by the NW. He does all he can do to save the GRRTH from a White Walker invasion, sees some crazy shit, and he just gets stabbed in the heart for it. It's pretty much exactly how I felt when I finished the Telltale Game of Thrones game on Steam.

Probably waiting to show up with a Dues Ex Vale Army Machina. Or stalking Sansa and wanking in the bushes.

12 hours ago, gorlab said:

So was the episode called Oathbreaker because Jon Snow broke his oath to the Night's Watch?

The Umbers turning on the Starks, arguably as well. The four who got hanged broked oath of not murdering their bros. Maybe you could argue that Ghiscari prostitute selling out Harpy information to Varys. Perhaps Daenerys not returning to Vaes Dothrak after Drogo died. I dunno, lots of those are a bit tenuous, but still probably more thematically broad than E01's "The Red Woman."

11 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

He didn't, he's just like, "Cersei, check this shit out!"

Well, he had to be practical. There was four dudes at once. Plus he still looked them in the eyes, got the last words, and swung the sword.

I'm sure they will. To me he appears depressed/disillusioned by the NW. He does all he can do to save the GRRTH from a White Walker invasion, sees some crazy shit, and he just gets stabbed in the heart for it. It's pretty much exactly how I felt when I finished the Telltale Game of Thrones game on Steam.

Probably waiting to show up with a Dues Ex Vale Army Machina. Or stalking Sansa and wanking in the bushes.

The Umbers turning on the Starks, arguably as well. The four who got hanged broked oath of not murdering their bros. Maybe you could argue that Ghiscari prostitute selling out Harpy information to Varys. Perhaps Daenerys not returning to Vaes Dothrak after Drogo died. I dunno, lots of those are a bit tenuous, but still probably more thematically broad than E01's "The Red Woman."

Pretty much my thoughts. The first bit anyway. Bran, Sansa, Arya, Jon, and Danny are all alive and are pretty much the "life blood" of the good characters in the show. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole series ends with some deus ex good guys finally get the last laugh in a world of evil. 

Also Jon and his story better just turn into Shepard from Mass Effect 3. Go and recruit people to stop in fighting and you know, join him in fighting a giant ice army of zombies. He has litters of evidence to support him that magic is back, including the sheer fact that he is you know alive again. 

Bran, Sansa, Arya, Jon, and Danny

Bet you one of them dies by the end of the show. It would be kind of funny if Jon died a second time right after being revived because the Boltons kill him and then he never comes back

• Admin
15 hours ago, boom said:

Those massive horse statues bother me for some reason. Would the Dothraki be capable of erecting those?

You just said that so you could use the word "erecting".

Best Episode of the season so far. So much happened. So much to discuss.

Great to see Jon and Sansa reunited, finally a Stark reunion. Ramsay made an awful mistake with his letter though, because the Wildlings probably wouldn't have cared to fight for Jon before, but now that Ramsay has said he wants to murder all the wildlings they will join the fight with Jon. 

Finally got to see the game's biggest player in Littlefinger. He still hasn't done anything yet, as he said he was going to take the Bolton's out last season, and all he did was still remind us he was going to do that. Also showed his power with that old loyal guy who I have no idea what his name is.

The end of the Lannisters is near. Inviting the Tyrell army into King's Landing is a death sentence. So many times in real life history, or even game of Thrones history inviting an opposing army into your city does not end well (like the mad king inviting the lannisters in). Ironically, it will be the Lannisters inviting the Tyrells in, and with Olenna and Littlefinger in cahoots the Lannisters will be taken down soon.

Iron born stuff blah blah blah. They will probably provide Dany ships.

Dany's takeover of the Dothraki was pretty swag. So now she has Dothraki army and Unsullied. That is a very interesting mix, as the Unsullied are very disciplined and will not rape, pillage, and plunder, while that is the Dothraki way, so it will be interesting to see is Dany can keep the Dothraki reeled in.

Great episode with lots of moving parts, I am looking forward to the next one

That was indeed a pretty pimp episode. Although I don't think the Tyrells will necessarily be the end of the Lannisters. If anything, I'd say Cersei and Jamie's plan will somehow backfire and result in Tommen's death/deposit. The Tyrells might receive some kind of peasant backlash if they go to arms with the faith, so I don't know how powerful they are right now exactly.

I'm also not sure if Dany will even take (all) the Dothraki with her overseas, due to their sheer numbers. I'm guessing she's going to re-fuck up Astapor and Meereen, grab 20 score good men, and take her dragons west. One or two might die/get stolen before this happens. 

Also that's Bronze Yohn Royce mofo!

• Admin

I really fell for the Tyrion thing too. I thought the quote about making peace with enemies was a neat little tribute to Tywin - Tyrion acknowledging his father was wise and carrying on his legacy.

But a quick YouTube search reveals that quote is from a scene between Baelish and Ned. FFS.

Also was one of the "gifts" to the masters the woman Varys promised could sail away after giving him info? FFS!

22 hours ago, Victor said:

Also was one of the "gifts" to the masters the woman Varys promised could sail away after giving him info? FFS!

No you're just racist.

So do episode five leaked early on torrents. I've seen it. Listen I love this show, and I'm perfectly fine with the overall direction it has taken. But it has finally crossed that line of light fantasy in a medi-evil setting to straight up Dungeons and Dragons\Lord of the Rings levels of high fantasy.

I'm fine with it because it means all the seasons of teasing this stuff has pay offs. But I can see some people disliking the hard lean in.