Game of Thrones

Victor

I've liked the whole season of Game of Thrones so far. There wasn't a lot of action in the beginning half, but there was lots of great talking scenes as well.

Last night's episode puts a good perspective on all of the things happening south of the wall, and how little it means with this huge undead army coming.

They're really going to need Daenerys' Dragons if they want to beat the White Walkers. White Walkers are pretty OP in how everything they kill becomes part of their army, but all of that would be easily taken care of with dragon breath.

One of my favorite scenes ever from Game of Thrones is when Cat talks about her horrid treatment of Jon Snow.  

Jaime - you said it.  It takes action for a lot of people.  I like paying attention to the dialogue.  Awesome things so far that I've loved:

- Bronn & Jaime discussing death.  "I've had an exciting life; I want a boring death."

- The differing fatherly approaches between Stannis & Roose.  "You are my daughter" vs. "I raped your mother and hung her husband" respectively

- Ramsay is truly an evil, creepy villain. Good actor though.

- I think Theon has played his role incredibly well. He's truly mindfucked.

- Stannis grammatical corrections

- I hope Stannis doesn't kill his daughter after one of the feel-good moments of the season

- Cersei insanity

- We all hate the Sand Snakes. I knew from the moment the first spear was thrown that they would suck.

I've liked the whole season of Game of Thrones so far. There wasn't a lot of action in the beginning half, but there was lots of great talking scenes as well.

Last night's episode puts a good perspective on all of the things happening south of the wall, and how little it means with this huge undead army coming.

They're really going to need Daenerys' Dragons if they want to beat the White Walkers. White Walkers are pretty OP in how everything they kill becomes part of their army, but all of that would be easily taken care of with dragon breath.

Or Jardy's morning breath.

I also hold Game of Thrones to a high standard because I believe it is literally the greatest TV show ever (and no, I haven't seen The Wire or The Sopranos yet, but I'm not here to have this debate!). There was lots of things in the first six episodes that could have been much better. The Sand Snakes sucked and there was various other plot hole-ish things and things that didn't make sense. Hell, even in this last episode, which was mind-blowingly awesome, the wights kinds of bothered me. Mainly in how inconsistent they are through the seasons.

In S1 we saw two wights. One was a creepy dead girl with bright blue eyes. All she does is look at Will. The next was Othor or whatever his name is, who also has blue eyes, and he takes a decent number of blows with a sword unbothered until he finally gets set on fire. There's nothing specifically to suggest that he CAN'T use weapons or is particularly slow or clumsy, but he doesn't and he really only speed walks.

The next time we see zombies is in the last episode of S2. Sam pees himself as an army of slow clumsy-looking zombies trot by. A white walker looks at him and doesn't give a fuck.

I believe the next time we see "zombies" is when Bran and co finally reach the giant weirwood north of the wall. Suddenly a bunch of speedy skeletons pop out of the snow with weapons and shit. And the children of the forest can shoot fireballs. It's weird and out of place.

Then finally we had last night's episode, which had both speedy skeletons and speedy zombies, all of whom carried weapons, but all of whom were surprisingly killable considering the S1 encounter. So it's all weird. But it was so awesome I didn't give a shit.

But yeah, it's easy to nitpick such a wonderful show. But just because it's nitpicked doesn't mean it's not still awesome.

See the thing is, they weren't dying. The whole point was to show how unstoppable their army was. Those wights were missing half their heads, limbs, etc and were still fighting. But when you cut one of em in half or shoot em with an arrow, they're gonna fall off that fence they're climbing or not be able to come back at you. The fact is, I would agree with your sentiments- if Jon/Tormund and the others WON that battle. But they didn't- they lost, and in spectacular fashion. They were also mainly fighting and "killing" the skeletal wights and less so the new, full body wights- those were the ones that were lasting and killing all the wildlings/black brothers.

I'm willing to personally "overlook" it all (and by overlook I mean I don't think there's inconsistency, I think it's purposeful). The little girl in S1 not attacking Will is easily explained by the fact that (iirc) there was a walker there as well- the walkers seem to generally control the wights. With Othor, yeah Jon was hitting him with the sword and all, but wasn't doing much damage- like I said, we saw the "full body wights" in the new episode able to take some hits and keep going, even missing limbs and shit just like Othor. There's also the fact that Othor was fighting Jon in close quarters- why would he need to be speedy/run fast? As for Sam seeing the wights and being noticed by the White Walker, there was no reason to kill him there. North of the wall, he likely would have died anyway, and he's just one man. There's a huge difference between the Walkers attacking Hardhome (to gain massive forced for their army) and killing one man just for the hell of it. That said though, I do agree that one is a LITTLE odd, but not a huge deal to me. I will agree with the Children of the Forest scene being weird anyway, but it was more because it came out of nowhere/why the fuck were the CotF throwing fireballs and less because of the wights. We know they have a presence everywhere beyond the wall, and they know that the 3 eyed raven dude is in that cave- it would make sense for them to have some sentries lying in wait there to trap anyone who might go to assist him in any way.

I wasn't saying that it's dumb that people nitpick. I nitpick at stuff in the show all the time (that is of course assuming that post was directed at me, if not carry on). I was saying that I don't like people who complain when the show has "lulls" when the lulls are really just character development. We're living in the age of instant gratification, and people just want entertainment non-stop. I'll admit that I'm fairly easily entertained, but I also think that nothing this season character development wise other than Dorne has been THAT poorly done. People just want action and interesting meetings more and more is what it boils down to. It's no surprise that this episode has been the best (it's ranked at an average of 9.9 on IMDB by roughly 15k people [i know, take that with a grain of salt cuz small sample size but still, next closest rating is 9.7 for the Red Wedding episode, followed by Joffrey/Margaery's wedding, Tyrion's trial, and Mountain vs The Viper]) received episodes in the history of the show when you consider it had Dany getting to know Tyrion, Jorah briefly reuniting with her, Cersei interacting with people from her cell, Sansa finding out about Bran and Rickon, Arya receiving her first assignment from the Faceless Men, and of course the Hardhome massacre. Look at those other ratings, and you'll see the trend, look at the more poorly rated episodes and you'll see the trend there as well. People don't like character development, but they love when things start coming together.

I say this btw, as someone who has been very on the fence about this entire season so far. It's been VERY hit or miss for me. Some of the episodes were pretty awful seeming to me, though it's not because of the "lulls", it's because of (imo) bad writing. When I don't like something, it's generally because as much as I try to view the show/books as 2 separate entities, I still have trouble and it makes me not like certain things in the show.

Edited by Caillean

It was a very well thought out wall of text to be honest. The "lulls" weren't my issue either Jamie. I felt the pacing/structure of the show in earlier episodes was off. Generally I am a fan of the character development in episodes. The strong scenes with Tyrion/Daneyris where a big contributor to this episodes excellence. As was Jon finally embracing the leader role a lot harder than he has in seasons past. Amazing how the writing for his speech on why he wanted to go get the Wildlings to the Nights Watch felt just all over the place, poor, and really not inspiring at all and his speech to the Wildlings felt perfect. Writing is a big key part of that imo. 

For me, with so many storylines going on I think it is key for a show like this especially as it continues to go more and more off book to pace the stories so that there is a good mix of character development, action, intrigue throughout each episode. There were parts earlier this season where almost nothing was happening, which was the problem. Stannis was stuck at the wall talking with John, John was deciding on what to do, Tyrion was deciding if he wanted to meet the Queen Mother, Bran and Jamie were travelling, Cersei was plotting but hadn't done much yet, Arya was stuck in a the room trying to even begin to understand the faceless man, and Littlefinger was travelling with Sansa.

I should clarify that it isn't that there weren't strong scenes in some of this. As Coach said Stannis conversation with Sam and his daughter (both fantastic). Jamie and Bron bonding etc. It just felt to me like there is too much in a clump of episodes there of every single story going through similar motions of pacing, waiting, discovering. It makes an entire episode feel completely out of pace. I'm not saying that is easy to do either, because honestly trying to grapple with multiple story arcs all over the place at one time must be a nightmare. In traditional shows they can pace so much easier because they are dealing with more limited characters, in a lot of cases following only their specific actions. But this is something the show needs to be aware of. In my opinion trying to pace the development of each story so that you were getting answers from some as it develops, and questions from others in earlier stages would of felt better from an audience perspective. It isn't necessarily that the end result of each story is bad, or the story in general, but when for episodes it feels like your watching the entire show all around build the intrigue it can fall a bit flat. 

Also in regards to my comment on finally having a hero character again, something this show consistently has created and then killed off...I'm glad to have one. But it wasn't just because Jon was all "hey look I'm fighting." His speech contributed huge to me, but so did his resistance as he was falling and dying...where there is zero combat happening to him and he struggles to get himself to the boat. Spitting up blood, having just killed the crazy Walker with the sword and exploded into ice. It all combined to feel like Jon had real purpose here again, he wasn't just doing things for the sake of it. That is something regardless of if the hero characters in the past were killed, Ned, Rob, they all felt like their actions were leading to something...bigger. Sure they ended up dying in Thrones fashion, and maybe that happens with Jon now...but having characters that you want to see win in the end was crucial to me. Something this season early I felt the show struggled with. Sure I love Tyrion, but it's kinda hard to root for somebody when for most of the season it wasn't entirely clear what exactly he'd be doing. 

Edited by Mr. Power

One of my favorite scenes ever from Game of Thrones is when Cat talks about her horrid treatment of Jon Snow.  

Jaime - you said it.  It takes action for a lot of people.  I like paying attention to the dialogue.  Awesome things so far that I've loved:

- Bronn & Jaime discussing death.  "I've had an exciting life; I want a boring death."

- The differing fatherly approaches between Stannis & Roose.  "You are my daughter" vs. "I raped your mother and hung her husband" respectively

- Ramsay is truly an evil, creepy villain. Good actor though.

- I think Theon has played his role incredibly well. He's truly mindfucked.

- Stannis grammatical corrections

- I hope Stannis doesn't kill his daughter after one of the feel-good moments of the season

- Cersei insanity

- We all hate the Sand Snakes. I knew from the moment the first spear was thrown that they would suck.

He was great in misfits

2gtb72c.jpg

He was great in misfits

2gtb72c.jpg

I used to be able to do a perfect impression of Simon. I probably still could, I can still nail a line or two from time to time, but I would have to rewatch the first couple seasons.

ffs guys that's CAILLEAN not JAMIE

Great episode, and I have a feeling the last two episodes are going to be great as well, but I don't think they'll be overcome the less than stellar rest of the season. 

You know nothing, Jon Snow

He's half right, even if half of what I speculated in the other thread comes true. I feel like this season will be one of the most memorably based on the last 3-4 episodes alone. Really, S03 wasn't that much different in that regard.

He's half right, even if half of what I speculated in the other thread comes true. I feel like this season will be one of the most memorably based on the last 3-4 episodes alone. Really, S03 wasn't that much different in that regard.

well i meant about me :D