What If...

Beketov

• Commissioner

I'm just going to put this in the thunderdome in case it gets messy, plus i don't feel like making the on topic forums and don't think it's really an announcement.

I want to preface this with the fact that I'm not giving up on getting our data back, I don't think anyone is.

However, hypothetically speaking, what course of action should we take assuming we can't get our topics / sim files back? The way I look at it we'd have a few major options if this were the case:

1) Keep the same teams / GM's and run a fantasy draft with everyone updated based on stats in the sim plus maybe like 25-30 to cover on average what was lost during the off-season. Everyone would, essentially, keep their same player but the whole league would be re-worked as a form of fresh start.

2) Slightly less radical approach, we keep everything the same, update players to what the sim had them at, and restart the off-season so that people have a chance to get back on track. Then we just go from there. Our records will essentially be gone but we could keep going without them.

3) Clean slate. It's radical but we would basically clean everything out (Keep the teams to avoid re-doing logos, maybe keep the GM's) and everyone re-creates a new player. Give carry-over based on what they last had in the sim (maybe just a set percentage rather than a per season thing) and effectively start the VHL from ground zero.

Honestly, I don't like any of the options and this is hopefully going to remain hypothetical but what are peoples thoughts / opinions on what we should do if the worst case happens and we in fact lose everything from the new site?

• Commissioner

2. maybe even with some amendments and an honour system. no reason to restart.

For the record I agree with 2 as well, it's the least radical, I was just bringing up the other two to see if anyone had some positive discussions about a fresh or semi fresh start out of this mishap. Personally I do believe that we're best off just getting things as close as they were.

Is there a none option?

For the second option you have to remember Players that didn't get into the playoffs would be at a huge disadvantage. It's honestly got to be on the honor system, cause I know personally I wouldn't be happy losing over 100TPE over this, which over 60% was media spots I wrote but wasn't VHL updated as the North American VHLM conference wasn't updated for over a month. 

I think everyone just wants the league back to normal.. Everyone worked hard on their players and nobody wants to lose TPE. This might be a wake up call as to how we manage our league moving forwards. Maybe the VHL should have a master excel sheet where only updates are allowed to edit..

Hell people could even use separate sheets for their own player updates that is connected to the master sheet, reducing the tedious work of updates to only having to review and approve (rather than copy and pasting everything)..

Regardless, I can't see a reboot happening. I don't even want to see it happen...

We arent going to reboot or you wont lose TPE. If anything you will gain some. At this point, people should start making the best estimate possible of what their player was at to start the season. Use the honour system.

For the second option you have to remember Players that didn't get into the playoffs would be at a huge disadvantage.

Actually, on the contrary, I updated non-playoff teams for World Cup.

Oh, shit no.  Just what was off the player pages.  I assumed the updaters update everyone at the same time.  Lazy fucks.

well i assume because I was on Saskatoon, and no one gives any fucks about Saskatoon that's why.