Claimed: Stepping down from my shitty job (and my other job) [1/2]

scoop

29 minutes ago, Devise said:

An old buddy of mine tried to get me into Bleach right when I was kind of digging into tons of anime. But there is something like 13+ seasons of that thing, I think I ended up getting 3 seasons in. It was enjoyable don't get me wrong, but man you can really go down some content holes if you invest a lot of time into these things. What are the 3 that you could name? 

I'm partway through Ouran High School Host Club. The 3 I can name: Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka [Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? :lol:], and No Game No Life. Honestly, though, I'd drop everything for a 4th season of High School DxD. I love that show. 

Oh. And Gate. 

Edited by der meister

5 minutes ago, Devise said:

I wonder if a big reason your ashamed of sim league stuff is just related to your own history in it? As in, if it was a side hobby you did here and there would you be as ashamed? Or is it because your such a big part of a leagues history, and pretty much can't escape that if someone knows your username they can find that? But again that does come from a place of insecurity. Because it's an assumption that someone would hold it against you. Anybody who would hold being in a sim league or investing time in it against you isn't someone you should be too concerned with imo. At least not if you've explained what it is, and the community aspect of it. It's something that is prevalent all over the internet, as people from all over the world engage in various communities simply for community sake. Not to assume that is why you are here, as I don't know that for certain. it seems you don't either fully. But it's still healthy to discuss it tbh. 

I don't know exactly why it is. I do think it has something to do with the amount of time and effort I have put into into sim leagues. It's been nearly ten years of my life. With very little down time.

As far as someone holding it against me, I don't think that would bother me a whole lot. There are a few people who knew: two kids who were like 5 grades below me who I knew through a school activity (not sure how they found out; probably found a football sim through some message board and saw my name) and a college roommate who, I think I actually mentioned it to him, though he may have seen me on it and asked me about it. Can't remember for sure. But I don't really remember being super ashamed of it when I was talking to them about it.

14 minutes ago, Street x Lite said:

I don't know exactly why it is. I do think it has something to do with the amount of time and effort I have put into into sim leagues. It's been nearly ten years of my life. With very little down time.

As far as someone holding it against me, I don't think that would bother me a whole lot. There are a few people who knew: two kids who were like 5 grades below me who I knew through a school activity (not sure how they found out; probably found a football sim through some message board and saw my name) and a college roommate who, I think I actually mentioned it to him, though he may have seen me on it and asked me about it. Can't remember for sure. But I don't really remember being super ashamed of it when I was talking to them about it.

Hmm that is very strange. I recall you telling me a few times privately about obviously, and you've even stated here, it's the return on investment. Perhaps it is just that. Maybe you feel like there is something more you could/want to be doing with all that time, and while sim leagues as a whole aren't the issue it's just you'd like to spend more time doing Street life than doing VHL life. 

13 minutes ago, Devise said:

Hmm that is very strange. I recall you telling me a few times privately about obviously, and you've even stated here, it's the return on investment. Perhaps it is just that. Maybe you feel like there is something more you could/want to be doing with all that time, and while sim leagues as a whole aren't the issue it's just you'd like to spend more time doing Street life than doing VHL life. 

As to that, I can definitely relate. That's why I took to recording podcasts while driving instead of hammering out written media every week, because I should be working on a short story or novel instead. And like I said in my status update last week, I was able to use a small media thing I wrote for a sim league in my novel. 

Barring that, though, the biggest return on investment is the community and whether or not you're enjoying it. 

Having spent a little time away from the site for similar (but not this level of seriousness :(), all I can say is that I hope you are OK and things get sorted. I haven't got amazing advice, but you seem like a good guy, and are a valuable member here, well respected etc. If you need a break and it helps you to be in a better place, please do so. Would love to have you back and kicking some VHL ass.

Hey man I hope everything ends up okay. By the way I don't think the right thing of looking at things is that if you leave here you'll just pick up another hobby that you won't enjoy. You should try new things and hopefully you'll find a hobby that you truly enjoy and maybe it will help you break out of that depression.

I know me stepping away from the site was something I needed and I've been battling with depression. Let me know if you ever need anything, I'd be glad to help you even though I wouldn't say we have the same interests.

• Head Moderator

subtle-art-3d-340px.png

I'm actually reading this now and I think you'd really enjoy it.  Surprisingly informative and easy to read, which I cannot say about other books of the psychological variety.  I went through a serious life event about 10 years ago and while I'm still not 100% over it, this definitely has put a lot of sense and logic into my thought process on a day-to-day basis.

Edited by frescoelmo

2 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

subtle-art-3d-340px.png

I'm actually reading this now and I think you'd really enjoy it.  Surprisingly informative and easy to read, which I cannot say about other books of the psychological variety.  I went through a serious life event about 10 years ago and while I'm still not 100% over it, this definitely has put a lot of sense and logic into my thought process on a day-to-day basis.

Hey thanks man :) I might have to give this a read as well.

IMO you've always been cool and I'm the coolest person on sim leagues. The strength of that co-sign trumps any weird weeaboo/tswift shit you are into. I'm into sack torture ffs, who gives a shit.

Your legacy is cemented here, so whatever you decide to do, people in this community are going to support you. You've clearly positively impacted a bunch of people through your time and effort on VHL/sim leagues. I know without a doubt there are numerous people who admire what you've contributed and brought to their enjoyment/memories/lives, me being among them. So do you, and keep working on finding what makes you happy.

Plus anytime your sim player puts in that work, I'll be there to post "THAT'S LITE!!!"

So first things first @Street x Lite, I love anime and I'm willing to bet I injest more anime (good and bad) than the lot of you combined as I watch all the seasonal stuff as well. If you care to contest me on that, please come to chat and we can talk about it :D

Second - Take a step back and figure out the things you enjoy. For me I like hanging around here for the most part. I'm slightly motivated right now to do a few MS cuz i got to play with Will but otherwise im really just planning to coast a long and kill time. I quit all the VHL jobs long ago cuz the work involved takes alot of fun out of the time I spent here despite it needing to be done.

Third - Never be afriad to share feelings and what not especially things that could harm you. I shouldn't have to say that but often times I almost feel like I do because people are scared of letting it out. But let me tell you that it is far better to bring it out and talk it over than let it brew inside you alone and building into despair.

I've been in that dark corner not 6 years back. Yes I was still in the VHL, yes i contemplated hurting myself because lets face it, I was stuck at a call center job and wondering if my gf (now wife) would leave me for better pastures. What I do know is that I talked it out with some people and just kept fighting it. Now I'm in a better place because I refused to surrender to despair. So thats where I invite you to come talk about things. Lets figure out together and focus on good stuff and fight it.

(I'm waiting in chat:D )

Edited by tfong

1 hour ago, tfong said:

So first things first @Street x Lite, I love anime and I'm willing to bet I injest more anime (good and bad) than the lot of you combined as I watch all the seasonal stuff as well. If you care to contest me on that, please come to chat and we can talk about it :D

Second - Take a step back and figure out the things you enjoy. For me I like hanging around here for the most part. I'm slightly motivated right now to do a few MS cuz i got to play with Will but otherwise im really just planning to coast a long and kill time. I quit all the VHL jobs long ago cuz the work involved takes alot of fun out of the time I spent here despite it needing to be done.

Third - Never be afriad to share feelings and what not especially things that could harm you. I shouldn't have to say that but often times I almost feel like I do because people are scared of letting it out. But let me tell you that it is far better to bring it out and talk it over than let it brew inside you alone and building into despair.

I've been in that dark corner not 6 years back. Yes I was still in the VHL, yes i contemplated hurting myself because lets face it, I was stuck at a call center job and wondering if my gf (now wife) would leave me for better pastures. What I do know is that I talked it out with some people and just kept fighting it. Now I'm in a better place because I refused to surrender to despair. So thats where I invite you to come talk about things. Lets figure out together and focus on good stuff and fight it.

(I'm waiting in chat:D )

Congrats on the new job and... Where's my red pocket?!

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Stepping down from my shitty job (and my other job) [1/2]