2017 NHL Off-Season

Advantage

7 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

We have a winner for worst FA contract. It goes to a team i thought, was heading in the right direction. 

Marleau 3 years at 38, coming off continued offense decline. 6.25mill a year

The length is alarming but the actual signing shouldn't be questioned. Marleau can still get you 50 points a year as a second line player. His leadership will help that squad big time.

However, Maple Leafs will have to shop him or cut salary to afford the young guys coming off their ELC's.

Just now, Kendrick said:

The length is alarming but the actual signing shouldn't be questioned. Marleau can still get you 50 points a year as a second line player. His leadership will help that squad big time.

However, Maple Leafs will have to shop him or cut salary to afford the young guys coming off their ELC's.

One year, maybe 2 i wouldnt even question it. But 3 is just so headscratching.

4 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

One year, maybe 2 i wouldnt even question it. But 3 is just so headscratching.

Yeah the length is what is concerning because this is a young team that needed veterans, but needed veterans with short expiring contracts. It's the same with the Oilers. Don't go all in on one player with length

:( Marleau

Good thing I'm also a Leafs fan and he did not go to the Ducks so thats's mighty good.

Would have been typing FIRE DOUG WILSON if he had signed Marleau to that 3 year deal tho so it's all good. Hope he rips it up with Matthews this season.

I'm going to disagree with you here @Kendrick. I think the Marleau signing is legit awful. I just don't see it. I earnestly am of the opinion that dude will struggle to score 15 goals next year, much less 20. He just doesn't seem like Jagr to me. Third liner at best now with his production rate, and they are paying him like a veteran top liner. He has earned it, but it just doesn't fit with their team at all. If I'm proven wrong so be it, and good for that team, but I wouldn't take a chance on him. 

Oh good god are you kidding me? Caps send NJD MoJo for a 2nd and a 3rd. Really? We have holes everywhere in the line up and we take a player that valuable and just gift him to a team that he fits in with perfectly, and helps fill a serious team need for them?

What a bloody joke. After the midly high term on Orlov, and the mind baffling Kuzy term....I'm so not happy. Caps management has lost their mind. What a bloody awful off-season. What was the point at getting Oshie to sign at such good term if we were going to bunk all this up like this? Pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Devise said:

I'm going to disagree with you here @Kendrick. I think the Marleau signing is legit awful. I just don't see it. I earnestly am of the opinion that dude will struggle to score 15 goals next year, much less 20. He just doesn't seem like Jagr to me. Third liner at best now with his production rate, and they are paying him like a veteran top liner. He has earned it, but it just doesn't fit with their team at all. If I'm proven wrong so be it, and good for that team, but I wouldn't take a chance on him. 

I just don't like the term. I understand the value and if it was 1 year it would be a legit good hockey move

1 hour ago, Devise said:

Oh good god are you kidding me? Caps send NJD MoJo for a 2nd and a 3rd. Really? We have holes everywhere in the line up and we take a player that valuable and just gift him to a team that he fits in with perfectly, and helps fill a serious team need for them?

What a bloody joke. After the midly high term on Orlov, and the mind baffling Kuzy term....I'm so not happy. Caps management has lost their mind. What a bloody awful off-season. What was the point at getting Oshie to sign at such good term if we were going to bunk all this up like this? Pathetic. 

YES!!!! We got ourselves an actual player with some upside. I like MoJo and he might be my 3rd favourite player in our lineup now! (behind Henrique and Zajac ftr)

Sucks for the Caps, they seemed to lose a lot. Shattenkirk (even though he wasn't goof for them), MoJo, Alzner, Williams and more. TSN has them acquiring Brett Connolly twice haha

1 hour ago, Devise said:

We are still over the cap which means more moves 

33 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

YES!!!! We got ourselves an actual player with some upside. I like MoJo and he might be my 3rd favourite player in our lineup now! (behind Henrique and Zajac ftr)

Sucks for the Caps, they seemed to lose a lot. Shattenkirk (even though he wasn't goof for them), MoJo, Alzner, Williams and more. TSN has them acquiring Brett Connolly twice haha

Honestly he has no more upside. Hes what he is a solid second/3rd line scorer. Streaky as hell

3 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

Honestly he has no more upside. Hes what he is a solid second/3rd line scorer. Streaky as hell

I disagree. He was on a team where he was never the sole focus. You realize he slots in with Taylor Hall on the first line right? He'll have a better shot at 65 points

Just now, Kendrick said:

I disagree. He was on a team where he was never the sole focus. You realize he slots in with Taylor Hall on the first line right? He'll have a better shot at 65 points

You might be right, but ive watched his entire career as a caps fan. If he can gain consitency maybe he breaks out. But i think hes stuck as where he is

6 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

You might be right, but ive watched his entire career as a caps fan. If he can gain consitency maybe he breaks out. But i think hes stuck as where he is

Honestly I think this deal will really look awful in a few seasons. Not that I was game to keep MoJo, but we should of got far better value for him. 

But like Kendrick I think he does well in NJ. I've also seen most of his caps games and part of his streaky nature is that he has to help out defensively more on a deep offensive caps roster. Considering his new found scoring touch, and that he's a natural passer. He probably Backstrom style runs the top NJ pp and gets the opportunity to put up lots more points. He's pretty much exactly what NJ needed, the fit is just great imo.

3 minutes ago, Devise said:

Honestly I think this deal will really look awful in a few seasons. Not that I was game to keep MoJo, but we should of got far better value for him. 

But like Kendrick I think he does well in NJ. I've also seen most of his caps games and part of his streaky nature is that he has to help out defensively more on a deep offensive caps roster. Considering his new found scoring touch, and that he's a natural passer. He probably Backstrom style runs the top NJ pp and gets the opportunity to put up lots more points. He's pretty much exactly what NJ needed, the fit is just great imo.

The deal doesnt really look good now, but its one of those get something for a cap hit kinda deal like the Hawks, Pens, all the top teams in the cap era. 

1 minute ago, Gooningitup said:

The deal doesnt really look good now, but its one of those get something for a cap hit kinda deal like the Hawks, Pens, all the top teams in the cap era. 

Yeah and if we had 3 recent Cup wins like both of those franchises to lean back I'd accept that. All we have done this off season is get worse and handcuff ourselves more. This GM needs to make the big move and trade Ovechkin already I'm. Shake it up for real build around Oshie Backy Kuzie Nisky Orlov and Holts.

23 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

Thats exactly what Sens fans said about mike Fisher when he topped out at 38 points with the Pens. Sure enough he goes elsewhere where his role increases and he has better stats.

The thing is you can watch a player all you want, but until you see them in an increased role, you can't assume they've hit their peak.

3 hours ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

what do you think about the canucks signings 

Im curious if the Canucks feel they HAVE to try to compete or something. Because of the Sedins because once again you guys pick up pieces that will force young players out. And wont be any better than last year. 

9 hours ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

what do you think about the canucks signings 

I like them. It makes the roster competitive, rather than handing the youth free spaces in the lineup.

Sam Gagner will fill in some offense and be able to help on the PP, and be a good character guy as well. Pending Brandon Sutter's inevitable injuries during the year, Gagner also adds depth. The Canucks lack at C, after Henrik and Horvat there isn't much outside of Sutter, who's not getting any younger either. Brendan Gaunce won't be handed a roster spot, and Markus Granlund will have to keep playing well to stay in the lineup. Then they signed Alex Burmistrov, who is an offensive guy that has showed can play 200ft. He'll probably get a crack at the 4th line C at first, but really he's a young Russian offensive guy with potential, and the Canucks can always use one of those. Him and Goldobin know each other, so that's a good thing as well. Maybe they can both go to Russia next off-season and lure Tryamkin back to North America?

Michael Del Zotto is a puck mover, and good passer, so that can only help the Canucks. After losing Sbisa to Las Vegas, that's good to get a guy like MDZ in the lineup. Guys like Jordan Subban or Andrey Pedan will really have to earn their spot. Not that MDZ won't have to play well to stay in it either. Then there's Weircioch or however you spell it, who's a big hulking dude from BC. Maybe he can somewhat replace what the Canucks lost in Tryamkin? I don't know, I haven't seen much of him, but the Canucks have lacked defensive depth the past couple of seasons so that's only a plus.

Anders Nilsson, obviously a solid pickup to play 1/2 with Markstrom in net, with the loss of Ryan Miller. They'll probably just roll with whoever is on a streak.

The good thing about all of those deals as well, is if things don't pan out, they're all contracts that can be flipped at the deadline. Nothing crazy or any over-payments.

Obviously the youth are being put into the lineup now, but adding a couple of guys like Del Zotto and Gagner is good. The young guys will have to play well and continue to if they want to stay in the lineup, and it helps to have that depth as well. I don't want to see guys step in and be forced to stay in the NHL with no depth, like what Edmonton did with a lot of their youth in the past. Or like when the Canucks just threw Virtanen into the NHL.

• 3 weeks later...