New York Americans PC [W/E Feb25]

STZ

:nya::nya: Press Conference Questions for NYA :nya::nya:

Week Ending Feb. 25th

1. What is the most surprising stat of the opening start of the season?

2. What do you think has contributed the most to the success of the Americans in the opening few games of the season?

3. How was Training Camp and pre-season? Do you feel ready for another long 72 game grind?

4. Who do you expect to break-out for the Americans the most this season?

5. How do you like the lines? Are there any players you wish the coach matched you with?

6. Are there any games you have circled on the schedule?

7. What are your thoughts on Gary our Team Bus Driver? Any good stories?

8. Who did you train with in the off-season? Any VHLers current or former? Any special coaches?

9. What was the highlight of your summer vacation?

10. How about them Yankees? Any cross-promotion with Stanton and Keller?

Edited by STZ

Ike Arkander Press Conference Answers

1. What do you think has contributed the most to the success of the Americans in the opening few games of the season?

I think that we've all recognized that this isn't a learning experience anymore - it's our time to really be successful. We lost some big names and a lot of experience due to retirement after last season, and we all knew we needed to get together and improve as a group. We feel more responsible and more in charge of our game. We are more of a team due to the losses we've taken and it's been a long road. We only have one new addition from last season, and we all feel like we bonded over the course of the last couple seasons, and most importantly last season. Bringing back the same group is a big reason we are playing well.

2. How was Training Camp and pre-season? Do you feel ready for another long 72 game grind?

I feel like I had the best off-season of my career. I'm ready to take on more starts and prove that I can take the reigns after this year. I've been mentored by DeGrath the past season and a bit and it has been important be to soak up everything I can during that time. With the World Cup, the Training Camp was pretty abbreviated, but I feel like we are coming out ready to play.

3. Who do you expect to break-out for the Americans the most this season?

With the loss of Fuji, I think it's clear we need Keller to be our go-to guy. He has proven in Cologne that he can score, and last season he proved that he is more than just an offensive player. This season we need him to be complete and carry us down the middle. I have no doubts that he will take that final step in becoming that elite superstar talent that he was projected to be!

4. Are there any games you have circled on the schedule?

Basically the 10ish games I have as a starter. Those are games that I need to be on-point for. DeGrath is going to be taking the bulk of the starts, so that means when it is time to go, it's time to shine. Unfortunately I haven't been told the exact games I will be playing, so I'll need to take it game-by-game. I know as a team we all are circling games against Riga. Not only did they beat us out last season, but after winning back-to-back they are the benchmark for every team.

5. Who did you train with in the off-season? Any VHLers current or former? Any special coaches?

I trained with a few of the STZ Player Agency players. DeGrath and the new signing Bryce Zhields. DeGrath and I both train with Ben Glover as he's still very prominent in the hockey world for New York. The VHL has a lot of alumni that sticks around and helps the current and budding athletes.

6. What was the highlight of your summer vacation?

Just relaxation. Went on a couple trips but nothing too extreme. It was a great time to reset and focus on my development and the next season. Went out to Fuji's cottage for one week, he had an enormous retirement party.

Edited by STZ

• Commissioner
7 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

I actually can't. I don't have the ability to do anything to the Press Conference section. :lol:

@Beketov

I did this one, I’ll try to remember to fix your permissions up tomorrow morning 

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

@STZ Are you going to create a new thread for NY PC Questions every week and have it pinned? Why don't you just keep 1 big one?

This counts as a PC answer (jk)

I didn't know what the protocol was tbh.. I'll do whatever.

On 2/23/2018 at 4:32 PM, STZ said:

:nya:

1. What is the most surprising stat of the opening start of the season?

That the Americans have righted some of the ship and are a competing franchise in this years standings race. Last year we were grooming and this year we are moving up.

2. What do you think has contributed the most to the success of the Americans in the opening few games of the season?

An all-round improvement on team defence. We've all bought into the system and it seems like everyone is playing great in both ends, but even more that our goalies aren't left high and dry.

3. How was Training Camp and pre-season? Do you feel ready for another long 72 game grind?

I'm ready for everything. Did some great training during the off-season and got to a place where I think I'll be able to raise my game in year three.

4. Who do you expect to break-out for the Americans the most this season?

I expect Luka Volkov to be front and centre in the success of the Americans. He will be one of the most explosive defensemen in the league and lead from the backend.

5. How do you like the lines? Are there any players you wish the coach matched you with?

I think we've rotated lines all year last season and we'll find a mix that helps us 100%, but in the meantime I just take what I'm given and go out and perform for the boys and fans.

6. Are there any games you have circled on the schedule?

Yes, Seattle. Seattle likes to talk a lot of shit for a team that has won nothing. We haven't won much either but we don't run our mouths. Being active is one thing but being a mouthpiece just comes back to bite you.

7. What are your thoughts on Gary our Team Bus Driver? Any good stories?

Gary is a classic. When I got to New York I got a great experience with Gary. Gary told me my back wasn't in the side carry slots of the bus. So I went back out to go check and he pulled the bus away. He only went about 50 feet but he scared the shit out of me. Oh and theres his huge love for pins, so I went out and bought a cowboy hat and every city we travel through; I grab him a pin to place on the cowboy hat.

8. Who did you train with in the off-season? Any VHLers current or former? Any special coaches?

I trained with a few friends of mine. Markus King is a friend of mine and getting to shoot on a two time cup champion is a huge advantage for me. I brought along some former players in Tyson Kohler and Unassisted as well (apparently those two go fishing together).

9. What was the highlight of your summer vacation?

I took a trip down to Uganda to build homes for the people of the country. Luckily it was very fulfilling and helped me have some peace of mind after a stressful season.

10. How about them Yankees? Any cross-promotion with Stanton and Keller?

Giancarlo Stanton reached out to me, but my true allegiance runs with the Rockies as they drafted my cousin. I can't do a cross-promotion unless the Americans tell me the Yankees are calling about one.

• Quik unpinned this topic