Humboldt Broncos

Smarch

I'm sure many of you have heard of the tragedy that feel upon the junior hockey world from my home province. 

I've been told it will be a very staggering number in fatalities. Terrible day here 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4609554

RIP. 

I've been folllowing the Reddit thread since it happened. Terrible news. Doesn't make sense to me how a huge intersection like that can have an accident, but it's not the first time one has happened there.

Although I don't personally know anyone on the team, I have friends who do, and I can only imagine what friends and family are going through at this time. What a horrible tragedy. It must be, or have been heartbreaking to be waiting to hear if your own child was one of the one's to go. :( What a shitty, shitty night.

This is so awful. My best friend used to work for the radio station in Humboldt, and his morning show co host/play by play guy for the Broncos is among the people that died. I used to play hockey with another kid's brother. Just an awful awful thing to happen.

As for the intersection, it sounds like the semi completely blew the intersection. Dunno if he was asleep or didn't notice the stop sign or what. I'd also speculate he was coming from the east, where there's a yard with trees on that corner of the intersection. I'm guessing those trees prevented the drivers from seeing each other, in addition to the semi not stopping. The Google Map street view of that intersection is pretty chilling, you can see 5 crosses in the ditch for people who have died in that intersection previously. Just a terrible stupid accident.

3 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

This is so awful. My best friend used to work for the radio station in Humboldt, and his morning show co host/play by play guy for the Broncos is among the people that died. I used to play hockey with another kid's brother. Just an awful awful thing to happen.

As for the intersection, it sounds like the semi completely blew the intersection. Dunno if he was asleep or didn't notice the stop sign or what. I'd also speculate he was coming from the east, where there's a yard with trees on that corner of the intersection. I'm guessing those trees prevented the drivers from seeing each other, in addition to the semi not stopping. The Google Map street view of that intersection is pretty chilling, you can see 5 crosses in the ditch for people who have died in that intersection previously. Just a terrible stupid accident.

Was it Highway 35 and 335?

While I grew up playing hockey and rode those buses and my son will also. I am not broken by this. Now before you say I am trolling or just a heartless fuck let me explain. What happened is horrible. Those lives were cut down and their families, friends and community will forever mourn them. This is the true tragedy that happened. It was not a gunman, not terror but something that can happen any day, to anyone. What I have a problem with is the media (not news) the sports media. They are making it about the team. Not the players but the team. NHL teams wore Broncos on their name plates. They should have put the players names on not the team. Yes I get the symbolism. You play for the team not yourself. But the team will be around. It did not die. It will come back, hell even profit off this. But the players that died and have life crippling injuries that will never play ever again they should have gotten the spotlight. I am sure the parents would have loved to see their last names on NHL jersies. That would have been a true way to honor them. 

Just for clarification for the people asking about the intersection, it's no different from any other two highways crossing in the province. The truck driver would have clearly blown a marked stop sign with a flashing light and the bus who have had no chance to react.