All time GM lists

diamond_ace

So @Victor, Mr. History himself, recently did a spreadsheet on the all time GMs of each VHL franchise. It appears as though I still hold the record for the longest single tenure as a GM of one team, with 17 seasons with Calgary, although Higgins had two tenures with Helsinki that add up to 19 and beat mine combined. The three guys on 22 total seasons of GMing (across multiple franchises) strike me as a rather eclectic mix - Chris, or @ADV as one of the best to ever do the job, Greg @gregreg who is never going to win any career plaudits for his time but certainly did a consistent and admirable job over the years nonetheless, and Mike, one of the old timers who mostly racked up his seasons before even I was in the league. Ultimately I think I'm definitely outside the top 5 but comfortably in the top 10 all time, as the list currently stands. There are of course opportunities for newer guys to come and pass me, and that is fine, my tenure was what it was and I don't anticipate going back to VHL GMing barring an inactive GM forcing my hand.

However, I doubt any of the GMs ahead of me on the all time VHL GMing list also had a superior VHLM GMing tenure. Of course I missed a lot of seasons in the late 40s and early 50s, but the last I knew, there was a clear top 4. I was part of this top 4, along with @eaglesfan036 and @STZ, but none of us could crest the unassailable mountain that was @CoachReilly. This man was a legend of VHLM GMing when the VHLM sorely needed him, going from direct affiliations with VHL teams to independent entities for the first time, including a dispersal draft of all assets in the league. 3 cups in 5 seasons, including a back to back in S24 and S25 (capping it off with S28).

All records must fall. That's what they're designed to do. Coach has stood the test of time atop the VHLM GMing pantheon for over half the league's existence, so the target has been acquired. This unbreakable record must be broken. Given that both eaglesfan and STZ are mostly inactive, it falls to me to try my hand at it. If I fail, one of the new guys can hopefully make a name for himself among the greats - there's one I think might, although I'm not going to reveal that. Hopefully I don't fail. The mountain must come tumbling down.

Probably would have been easy and less time consuming to go off the overall gm stats lol

i did it all - wins, GP.. blah blah for regular season and playoffs.. so that’s a pretty easy indicator of who made playoffs etc 

1 hour ago, Banackock said:

Probably would have been easy and less time consuming to go off the overall gm stats lol

i did it all - wins, GP.. blah blah for regular season and playoffs.. so that’s a pretty easy indicator of who made playoffs etc 

It wasn't time consuming at all, I did 0 research for this (as a general rule, if I'm not getting a hefty boatload of TPE, I'm not researching shit). I'd already looked at Victor's chart and followed along with that thread just as part of browsing the forums, then came down here and wrote this, and the VHLM part was from memory (hence not really saying a whole lot in that section in terms of numbers).

• Admin
12 hours ago, Banackock said:

Not sure if this is aimed at me or Jason but the most time consuming part of my spreadsheet was the trade count which is entirely unique - albeit not hugely useful, but it came from the trade tracker thread which needed an update anyway.

I did mention your work on the actual stats on my podcast on Tuesday, hence didn't do anything over those. Mine I think makes more sense visually and also shows the situation by franchise quite well.

I do think GM records as a whole now are finally, 60 seasons later, up to speed as I don't think enough recognition was ever given to them.