Rethinking the WJC Process

As a fairly new member of the site I have done my best to stay out of complex conversations because well, I don't know the ropes. However, something that caught my attention was the process involving the GM selection process at the WJC. Lots of ideas have popped into my head and I would like to ask the general population what they would like to do. This article is meant to spur conversation into making changes to how we run this site and future development of communication to the new generations.

I've been on this site for a couple of months and it almost feels like a caste system. I know my GM and my team. I feel like an untouchable, the people who have been here longer seemed annoyed with anything said by players who have less experience. I didn't even know about the WJC GM selection until days later when I checked my discord. Something that big should be informed to the masses. I'm glad one of my teammates was selected but I would have also appreciated a chance to throw my hat in the ring (despite the lack of experience).

So I'd like to address some ideas:

The Implementation of Committees:

In real life, every country has a committee that selects the country's GM and then the GM picks the Coach. While I would like the idea of implementing a coaching system, that's a topic for another day. So my overall proposal is that every team is granted a committee as opposed to one committee selecting all GM's. These committees will be three people who have played out at least three full seasons in the VHL. It will be a job that is a capped 2 TPE towards their players. To select these committees, I believe there should be an election. A separate topic can be created where a neutral party can hold a press conference for candidates to campaign (would count as Press Conference for the week). Then a Google Doc poll can be created, just like the ones @Josh. has been making for the VHLM Predictions (10/10). Everyone will be tagged in this thread and will be rewarded 1 Uncapped TPE for participation in the election. Candidates can run for multiple countries but can not be hired for more than one. Every Four WJC the Committees can be voted upon once again unless ran unopposed.

GM Selection:

Once committees have been set up they are then free to select a GM. Here's where things get extra spicey. So for the WJC I propose it to be a complete amateur showcase. That means all GM's being people who have not completed more than one season in the VHL and have zero managerial experience except possibly being an AGM. I think this brings some more fun to the competition rather than having seasoned vets who understand the simming principles. The World Cup these restrictions would be lifted but I would also like to see the use of committees at the Pro level. To entice people to take the GM role seriously I propose the job pay 6 Capped TPE. If the committee decides to move on from the current GM he can be bought out at a price of 3 capped TPE. If the entire committee believes that the GM was negligent in his role, the player must forfeit their next week's TPE. I believe the introduction of a high risk- high reward system would put more of competitiveness into the competition.

No Dual Citizenship:

I believe players should not have the ability to switch nations until their removal from WJC eligibility. And they must make a one-time selection once they're introduced to the WC. Basically, in simplest terms, I declared as Swiss even though I was born in the U.S. I can not switch my nationality representation until I have been entered into the pro world cup. I believe this prevents stacking and cliques trying to stay together. Have some fun, losing is part of the experience. Forsberg faced Sakic many of times. I like my teammates and my GM but there's some fun to be had going against them as well.

The Decrease in TPE Limit:

As a VHLM player, my TPE sits at about 145. Not good overall, but decent, considering the amount of time I've been on this site. I've maxed out every week except my first week because I claimed Welfare not understanding the system. However, I will be facing players that are near 350 TPE. Which is completely ridiculous. I believe it should be brought down to 275TPE at least. This will create a more equal playing field for players. A lot of players who are new but have been getting their full weekly TPE are being left out while people on their 3rd or 4th character are hopped up onto the first line. Let other people have some fun. If you're trying to entice new people to stick around, putting them on the back burner doesn't exactly make a great business model.

Final Thoughts:

These are not the end all to end all. Its to open discussion on how to improve the experience on this website. Some of my thoughts may already be happening too and if they are I'm sorry. Also, I wouldn't mind these principles being implemented into the VHL as well. I like the idea of a GM being fired. Rather than the same people hold power, open the door for others who want to have a chance at managing a VHL team. Have the current GM's or just the long-standing ones be moved up into an owner role where you run operations for a designated amount of seasons unless you "sell the team" to somebody else.  Also, have we ever thought about moving the sim system to NHL? Give some visual representation? I understand the difficulty and time consumption as we would need a complete overhaul of the rating system.  So for another time then

Thank you for your time this has been my TED Talk.

WC: 1004 Claiming as Media Spot Week ending 3/24 and 3/31

Hello!

A lot of great ideas posted here about WJC process.

Well, just to give you some other perspective - in certain situations, Dual Citizenship is necessary - for example if we have a strong duo of goaltenders in USA and Canada and there are some that couldn't make those teams, can move to play for teams that are less likely to have a goaltender - like Asia, for example, can be in a situation when there is an only 30 TPE goaltender and same for other teams.. If the Dual-Citizenship wouldn't exist, those teams would be doomed.

When it comes down to TPE - it is pretty easy to get to 275 in one season of VHLM and the first part of the season  VHL... I have seen guys already get to 150 now and that would mean they could only participate in one WJC. That could kill some of the teams as a population in certain teams can be great in one season and bad in another - with 350 it at least gives a chance for other teams to be competitive with less amount of actives.

When it comes down to GM select - well - I was involved in a process this year, so I don't think I want to be much open about it. But I believe over complication of these things wouldn't be necessary, just more headaches for league organisers. 

FrostBeard ^^

1 hour ago, FrostBeard said:

like Asia, for example, can be in a situation when there is an only 30 TPE goaltender and same for other teams.. If the Dual-Citizenship wouldn't exist, those teams would be doomed

A point about this:

This year, I, as GM of Team Asia, am being allowed to replace my inactive players with other players who have not been selected by other teams. First of all, I'd like to thank @BladeMaiden for what I consider an outstanding move. These players, who are active members of the VHL community, will appreciate their placement on a WJC roster (even if Team Asia, this season, seems to have been everyone's favorite laughingstock) quite a bit more than someone who created their player, logged off the site for good a week later, and hasn't been back since. Not only is this the case, but this system allows Team Asia (and, should it continue to be implemented, teams of the future with a highly inactive draft pool) to make up for some of the arguably unfair advantage given other teams, who are able to select an entire team of active, and, relative to the rest of the WJC, top-tier players, making them easy favorites. 

Obviously, the system of having players from certain countries be drafted by their countries should not be abolished--then we'd have the meaning of "World" taken right out of "World Junior Championships." Imagine playing for "Team GustavMattias," when most people on this site probably don't even know who I am. Nah, man, give me Team Asia any day. And I'm not necessarily advocating for change, either, since what I'm talking about is currently in place. All I'd like to see is a system wherein any team with one or more "inactive" players (I'll leave the definition of "inactive" up to the people running the tournament) is free to replace those players with active members who have not been chosen by any World Junior team, after, of course, Team World has selected their own roster. If there is more than one team with an inactive player, then maybe there could be a sort of draft at that point, with both teams that need players alternating picks from the leftover pool.

To add to this, I'd like to point out that this eliminates the need for "dual citizenship," as players being named to a roster are named to fill holes in the roster--for one, nobody has to change their nationality to make a junior team, and for another point, this makes the selection process less political. I actually asked a teammate of mine if he would like to change his nationality for my team (spoiler alert: he didn't) and this didn't really feel right. For those who know the GM on a close and personal level, this may work out every once in a while (which, I might argue, gives a few pro GMs an advantage as they've been around much longer than us new guys), but for those who don't, this option may not be as available as it seems.

As to @FacebookFighter's point of not knowing where the GM application thread is, I can say I wholeheartedly agree with this. I found the thread, but consider myself very lucky to have done so. I can absolutely see how other members might not have found it. In the future, I'd like to ask that all members be tagged--yes, I know this makes some people mad at being notified, but I feel that the people who would appreciate this are far greater in number than the people who would be against it. 

Nice article, and many good points. 

Edited by GustavMattias

In the VHL you will be 220 TPE going against players with 500-1,000 TPE. I’m out “walking” my dog. Skimmed it - some interesting thoughts for sure - but I don’t see the TPE levels changing that much at all :) its to include everyone and to maybe represent more than once if you’re lucky enough. 

The purpose of the WJC is to give new members AND all lower TPE level players at chance at representing a country as the WC happens less and sometimes requires much higher TPE. 

Ill read when I get home but I always love members suggesting how to make things better. That’s what this whole entire site is about - everyone enjoying their time :) 

@FacebookFighter and @GustavMattias i have been encouraged to not @members for hiring posts that being said i did announce the jobs being up twice in the discord. I hope that clarifies how I tried to get the word out about the jobs and I will make an effort to get the word out even more in the future, thank you for the suggestions :)

1 hour ago, FrostBeard said:

Hello!

A lot of great ideas posted here about WJC process.

Well, just to give you some other perspective - in certain situations, Dual Citizenship is necessary - for example if we have a strong duo of goaltenders in USA and Canada and there are some that couldn't make those teams, can move to play for teams that are less likely to have a goaltender - like Asia, for example, can be in a situation when there is an only 30 TPE goaltender and same for other teams.. If the Dual-Citizenship wouldn't exist, those teams would be doomed.

When it comes down to TPE - it is pretty easy to get to 275 in one season of VHLM and the first part of the season  VHL... I have seen guys already get to 150 now and that would mean they could only participate in one WJC. That could kill some of the teams as a population in certain teams can be great in one season and bad in another - with 350 it at least gives a chance for other teams to be competitive with less amount of actives.

When it comes down to GM select - well - I was involved in a process this year, so I don't think I want to be much open about it. But I believe over complication of these things wouldn't be necessary, just more headaches for league organisers. 

FrostBeard ^^

I think it would make it less of a headache minus every 4 years when everything resets. I would also volunteer to organise all of that.,I wouldn't mind taking on that headache but I understand what you are saying.

I think I'm ok with Dual citizenship in emergency situations. and I understand the TPE, makes sense.