gorlab's idea to optimize VHLFL experience for our members (pause)

gorlab

I've taken part of VHLFL for the past 4-5 seasons now, and I have some simple ideas/changes that I think will make the experience better for all VHLers!

Now, running VHFL itself is a lot of work (calculating signups, creating groups, posting group threads, etc.) so my plan will both alleviate the work for the one person who currently handles VHFL and make the drafting experience more fun/straight forward. 

The simple premise, is that when the VHLFL head (DilIsPickle) locks the sign-up thread and creates the groups for the season, he simply chooses 1 more "active" member in each group, and assigns them the status of GROUP CAPTAIN. He will compile the draft order and 'team' formatting and send that to each group captain via PM. The group captain will then post the thread where the draft will occur. As a participant in the group, they will actively edit/update the OP of the post with the picks of each member as the draft happens.

Or, Dil can post all the threads as he does now, but the group captains can be given access to edit the OP of the threads. This option seems like more work though, and is a bit messy in regard to member forum permissions.

This setup allows for a much cleaner draft, and gives the VHL members doing the draft a much more concise/up-to-date list of the picked players, and which teams will need to select which positions in upcoming rounds.

Worst case scenario, a few of the group captains are inactive and don't post the thread and/or update the thread in a timely manner, which is basically what currently happens  (0 threads have had their OP updated as the draft has gone alone for the last few seasons, because that's way too much work for 1 individual person.)

Thank you for reading.  I will tag the people I think can appropriately consider/action my suggestion.

@DilIsPickle @Bushito  @Beaviss  @tfong

tl;dr - Select a 'group captain' for all the VHLFL (VHL Fantasy League) groups. Have the captain post, and regularly update, their respective draft threads, allowing members to see drafted players and  upcoming position selections in one concise spot (the OP of the thread). 

Also, yes, before anyone mentions that it's not actually my idea and has been done for sim 'fantasy draft' setups in both the VHL and other leagues, in the past, I still think it's worthwhile to explore and will claim credit for lobbying the idea in modern-day VHL. 

@gorlab I did think of something like this before I set it up actually, I just don’t think it’s a good idea to rely on another person for this sort of thing and it’s  just better for me to do it because I know I’ll finish it when I need it to be finished.

Better thing imo is to make your picks like:

F- 

F-

F-

D-

D-

G-

This makes it really easy to keep up as the person running it and I’m so glad some of the groups actually did pick like that.

Edited by DilIsPickle

16 hours ago, DilIsPickle said:

Better thing imo is to make your picks like:

F- 

F-

F-

D-

D-

G-

So do this at every pick? So like for my second pick i would go like

F- 

F-