Campbell's Corner #6

Banackock

GFg34Sz.png?width=930%26height=372&key=6

Edition #6: IT'S ALMOST CHRISTMAS, YA FILTHY ANIMALS!

Bonjourno, VHL. Happy times are in the VHL and you can just feel the good vibes pumping? First, we get some massive surprise that we’re getting not 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11, but 12 days of Christmas where the VHL will be handing out some free TPE and prizes that I think everyone is going to love. Right now I do believe we're on Day 4 and the current amounts handed out have bee all uncapped prizes awarded at 1, 1, 2 and the latest being reversed back to 1. Rumour has it that the prizes are only going to continue to amaze and fill the wondrous hearts of all are amazing VHLers and surely make them feel all the love this holiday season. While the excitement for Christmas is real and oh boy are we ever going to get a lot of Christmas throughout the league for the next few weeks (which is fucking awesome), but we're also getting a lot of other crazy action happening. The league is finally starting to finalize its looks and what we’re starting to see is the fossil that could provide us with a lot of under the surface prophecies for the VHL playoffs this season. Even if it doesn't do that, I REALLY am starting to think that the standings we’re seeing are the standings that will be viewed come to the end of the regular season, but you never know. There are a few races going on right now throughout the standings. Some closer and more probable than others, but they're races nonetheless. I think next few weeks and heading into 2020  is going to be a really great, fun, festive and just really amazing time for the VHL. Can you feel? I can feel it? Christmas is in the air, baby, and I just can't get enough. 

image.png.6ede24b9318a6153a21029c6505b81ba.png 

It's always picked last. It's always that little kid that picked last. Don't worry, VHLM, I love you. I'm paid to love you and now because of that, I am going to show you some love first. Since Zekenator mentioned bringing in some words about the VHLM, it's always been the 3rd and final blurb of my piece. This week, we're changing things up. VHLM time, and what else can you talk about than the Saskatchewan Wild and the amazing season they're having? Oh come on soul sister, look a little harder. Jacques Lafontaine, anyone? Anyone? Was anyone else thinking this? I know Peace was probably screaming it. Elmebeck and all Wild players had it at least cross their minds. I don't know if anyone has checked up on this guy lately but he's currently smashing records. I'm just saying this and don't actually have facts to back that up but how is this not blowing by records right now or at least coming close to them? He's played 62 games, posted a record of 58-4-0, .900 SV%, 1.85 GAA and has thrown together 4 shutouts as well. These numbers are impressive. The entire team is impressive but the fact there's quite a few standout players, this really lays the focus in on Lafontaine for me. I've always been a fan of SSD and his players of the past and once again I find myself becoming a fan of another one of his players. This is an extremely perfect start to his career. I know perfect is a tough word to use in these areas of discussions but if there's ever a time to try and use it, this is that given moment and I'm going to take it. Keep on running, buddy. Post some crazy stuff this year and it'll be cool to watch your player grow in the VHL. 

Now, heading over to the VHL side of things. This week we've seen a lot of top-notch shit happening over the leagues. From impressive plays from players to huge performances from the league's teams to Christmas being right around the corner and so much freaking more. It is an incredibly busy time a year for a lot of people and it's the exact same thing for the VHL. Yet, it's also an amazing time of year. Christmas is so pretty and festive and it always seems like it's the one time of year when most people are in pretty chipper moods as the holidays approach. We're currently popping with the 12 days of Christmas, being 4 days in, and are loving the shit out of the TPE rewards so far. 8 more to go and I am so ready for the FINAL COUNTDOWN! Then we have the theme week shit going on where we're getting bonus uncapped and all that stuff. The league is literally on fire right now. Speaking of that fire, has anyone checked the standings? Vancouver has a pretty solid lead right now rocking an impressive record of 44-18-1, 89 points and are 5 points ahead of the 2nd place Riga Reign (84) and 6 on Seattle (83). Of the few teams that technically have a shot at it, those are the ones with the best odds at dethroning Vancouver. Moscow could, but that would require a downfall from Vancouver as the gap is too stretched in my opinion for Moscow. At the end of things, I think Vancouver ends the season out on top heading into playoffs. Flipping things over, Davos sucks and they get last. SURPRISE!  DC, Prague and Calgary follow next in the standings and will guaranteed be teams all putting away their sticks and pulling out their irons in a few days time. The final race that matters is going to be TOR V NYA to decide the matchups for North America and while some wouldn't think it matters too much and SEA/VAN is likely (and you're likely right), NYA and TOR can still get things done. My guess? Toronto gets the final spot and New York comes in 3rd place. I'm unsure how hot New York is but at least they finally found something. The final last bit of the season is going to be awesome and I'm for sure pumped to see how these races end up (not really).

Moving onto the last thing you'll hear me blab about before the Christmas edition. Before the snow continues to fall, the reindeer come out to play, the hot chocolate is made and the fires are burning. OI MATE?! Do you hear that?! Jingling? Could it be Santa? I am jacked for this shit and it seems like Santa is going to be helping us ring in 2020 with a nice old draft class forming. We're going to call this bad boy Hurricane 71 because all the biggest and baddest get names thrown onto them. It really makes S70 look weak. It also reminds me that a lot of the managers in the VHL don't know shit about what they're talking about. I once had a GM tell me during the S67 draft season that the S67 draft wasn't that good, wasn't much depth and that the next one was better. Now, I know weed is legal in Canada. I'm a Canadian. Because of this, I knew it wasn't weed he was smoking. The S68 Continental Cup was won because of the S67 draft. Looking back, that GM is dumb as hell but that's also a common thought throughout the league community. Bang, bang! Pew, pew! I can hear his voice already, "The S70 draft is so much better than the S71 because the draft is now and not then and I have thousands of 1sts and am the prodigy". Maybe he wouldn't say that. I don't know. Who cares. Be kind to everyone. This S71 draft is shaping up to be one that gives even the dumbest of GM's the hardest dicks (Could Davos finally be getting laid? Stay tuned) and is going to blow this weak one known as the S70 draft class. Don't even have a cool name yet. 

S71 Draft Rankings:

Click here for "Live S71 Draft Class Rankings" by RJFRYMAN  (shout out for good work, yo!)

Isn't that a gorgeous class? Looking at that too, it hasn't been updated since December 9th. So yes, you have Peace, Josh, Nyko, Ruutu, DillP, DAAD and a bunch of other guys forming out that list. That's an exciting group of people and while the talent is still good in the S70 draft, I don't think many GM's are focused on that one unless they're in the thick of things for a top pick. The cliff is a steep one there and for the S71 draft class, things are just getting started. With playoffs about to begin and the inevitable off-season slowly starting to make its way towards us, that also means a likely recruitment drive that potentially could bring in a bunch of members just in time to capitalize on being a part of an extremely healthy, active and experienced draft class. This is a win no matter how you want to look at it. For that, keep up the good shit and let's hype up Hurricane 71.

source.gif 

• Ice Chips - We're not going to take up a huge amount of your time. It's the Holidays. People are busy. People work. Lives. Jobs. Shit. Expect this beautiful thing in 2020. It's currently a work in progress and being evolved in the VSN think-tank and we refuse to release the mighty beast until a higher quality is ready to be banged out. However, I'm still pumped to get this bad boy going and crowning ourselves a heavy-weight champion. You're not going to want to miss this so keep an ear open in 2020.

• Bi-Weekly Campbell Corner's - I've been going strong since coming into this role. 5ish weeks straight, or 6 editions of Campbell's Corner have been pumped out and there's just no way in hell with real-life - work, holidays, just life... my roles on here. There's just no way of managing to write these large write-ups for the rest of my tenure with VSN every week. Not consistently anyway. Since starting, I've written just over 8,900 words and with this article will either be closing in on or slightly surpassing 10,000 words. Something something VSN leadership, something run in the ground, something.

• Christmas Edition - It's coming to you next week. IDK what's coming but it's CHRISTMAS! WOO HOO

Executive President of the VSN 

Bana

image.png

image.png

Edited by Banackock