Goals Scored in S49-S69: A Comprehensive Study

eaglesfan036

What is This:

I recorded all player stats in an excel spreadsheet from S49 to S69, sorted by season so that we can look at each season as it's own individual entity. I was planning on at least going until S30 with this study (the last recorded index I saw we had access to), but all of our index data from S48 and beyond is horribly formatted, and I am not going to spend all the time it takes to map that data. If anyone would like to take on that painstakingly boring task, I would be happy to use that information to further my research.     

Looking at the goals scored per season, I can assure you that blue team did not rig the sim to start inflating goal totals starting in Season 65. Instead, we simply have been increasing teams ever since then based on current league activity. Each era of teams has seen a somewhat consistent amount of goals per season, with the largest gap in an era being the 8-team era where we saw about 1,400 goals in S58, and 1,800 goals in S62 (more on that historic season later).

image.png.042e48e6c4c9cbe2ca08590761dee18a.pngimage.png.9f2065ab86d5f9827507aac8b6caa520.png                 

The below graph shows total prorated goals each season, where I pretend like there was 12 teams throughout this entire 20 season era (check my math to see what I'm talking about). As you can see, S62 was a historically high scoring season at 2,700 pro-rated goals scored, and S54 was our lowest scoring season at a little under 2,000 pro-rated goals scored. I would love for a VHL historian @Victor, to explain his thoughts on why these seasons saw such an extreme variance. 

image.png.cdf1018ea913cc89cf9b102cec007e48.pngimage.png.330d1f08415e01401da514b7b3e951b8.png

As you can see below, there has been a sharp drop off in number of high goal and points scorers starting in S66 and up to now. I have two theories on this, one being the more teams we add the more players who do decent overall, but less clear high-end players. Additionally, the league has been extremely competitive lately, and with less crappy teams to beat up on the top scorers (and league scoring in general) will be down.

image.png.c7270b6d6a3c3103f0a0ed46f5b15856.pngimage.png.fa1616409c99ae5d12b44fbd095c98fa.png 

Hopefully this data comes in handy in comparing eras for hall of fame voting in the future. I also like the idea of pro-rating the past seasons, as we can now easily compare scoring rates every season from now on to see if scoring league wide is up or down. I will also be posting my overall table at the bottom, in case some of you are numbers people who would rather see this information in numbers instead of chart form. Lastly, I will be posting the link to my spreadsheet here as well, as 20 seasons worth of scoring data could certainly be used for other articles, and I encourage you to do so! I will definitely be using this data for future articles, and if you would like me to take on another topic please comment below after subscribing and liking and sharing this post with 15 friends. 

Very Important Last Point

Look at my post below this one (wasn't allowed to post any more pictures in the media spot) - I counted the number of non-bot players per season with more than 0 points scored and more than 0 minutes played. Our overall number of players is increasing each season and is way higher than in past seasons, while at the same time our number of high goal and point scorers is dropping. This means our percentage of players who accumulate high goal and point totals is way lower than it used to be in the past, making those top point scorers an extreme rarity now. 

Edited by eaglesfan036

Season 54 Goalies

NYA = Jakab Holik 85 OVR + M.T Power 73 OVR

SEA = Artom Zhumbayev 67 OVR

COL = Markus King  71 OVR

DAV = mist4ke 72 OVR

TOR = Torstein Ironside 70 OVR

QUE = Apollo Skye 82 OVR + Threeencarncion 75 OVR

RIG = Ilya Kopralkov 77 OVR

HEL = Astrid Moon 74 OVR

STO = Rhett DeGrath 81 OVR

CGY = Jacob 75 OVR

decent goalies plus not so decent high end forwards - low scoring

Season 62 Goalies

CGY = Norris Stropko 86 OVR

QUE = Tristan Iseault 74 OVR

DAV = Shawn Brodeur 76 OVR

RIG = Arvid Almo 62 OVR

SEA = Roger Sterling 74 OVR

TOR = JHC 62 OVR

NYA = Ismond Kingfisher 67 OVR

HSK = Brieanne OTarrth 60 OVR

not so good goalies plus more high end scorer = more scoring

plus I think the smaller league meant more high end players playing with high end players than the 10 team league which had it spread out. Was season 62 the first with 8 teams? i think it was a lot of things that had to go right for the S62 season to happen the way it did. Not so good goalies plus more high end scorers playing with other high end scorers. 

3 minutes ago, Rayzor_7 said:

Based on the Pro-Rated goals, what I'm seeing is that from 65-present has been the hardest era on goalies post S49 (though idk about pre then)

65-68 certainly was rough on goalies, but 69 looks like a drop to normalcy. It will be interesting to see which of the 2 trends continues

1 minute ago, eaglesfan036 said:

do you mean i just spent an hour on something that was already there :(

thanks doe

I just finished it this week, I had only sent the link to Will so that he could update the portal.

• Admin
45 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

As you can see, S62 was a historically high scoring season at 2,700 pro-rated goals scored, and S54 was our lowest scoring season at a little under 2,000 pro-rated goals scored.

S54: I wasn't active

S62: Podrick Cast is a god among men

But actually TLO pretty much nailed it. S62 was one of those years where too many teams had shit goalies so everyone profited. S20 was and arguably still is the ultimate example of that.

S54 was when the polarisation of late expansion era hit its peak. The GAA record was broken several seasons in a row from S49 to S55. So a very low amount of talent concentrated in a handful of teams, meaning the top goalies and forwards both profited, even while overall quality went down. Hence contraction by S58.

25 minutes ago, Victor said:

S54: I wasn't active

S62: Podrick Cast is a god among men

But actually TLO pretty much nailed it. S62 was one of those years where too many teams had shit goalies so everyone profited. S20 was and arguably still is the ultimate example of that.

S54 was when the polarisation of late expansion era hit its peak. The GAA record was broken several seasons in a row from S49 to S55. So a very low amount of talent concentrated in a handful of teams, meaning the top goalies and forwards both profited, even while overall quality went down. Hence contraction by S58.

why do you sound so surprised 

1 hour ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

Season 54 Goalies

NYA = Jakab Holik 85 OVR + M.T Power 73 OVR

SEA = Artom Zhumbayev 67 OVR

COL = Markus King  71 OVR

DAV = mist4ke 72 OVR

TOR = Torstein Ironside 70 OVR

QUE = Apollo Skye 82 OVR + Threeencarncion 75 OVR

RIG = Ilya Kopralkov 77 OVR

HEL = Astrid Moon 74 OVR

STO = Rhett DeGrath 81 OVR

CGY = Jacob 75 OVR

decent goalies plus not so decent high end forwards - low scoring

Season 62 Goalies

CGY = Norris Stropko 86 OVR

QUE = Tristan Iseault 74 OVR

DAV = Shawn Brodeur 76 OVR

RIG = Arvid Almo 62 OVR

SEA = Roger Sterling 74 OVR

TOR = JHC 62 OVR

NYA = Ismond Kingfisher 67 OVR

HSK = Brieanne OTarrth 60 OVR

not so good goalies plus more high end scorer = more scoring

plus I think the smaller league meant more high end players playing with high end players than the 10 team league which had it spread out. Was season 62 the first with 8 teams? i think it was a lot of things that had to go right for the S62 season to happen the way it did. Not so good goalies plus more high end scorers playing with other high end scorers. 

It's worth pointing out as well in combination with the goalies is that there weren't very many good defensemen in Season 62 either (Only six defensemen had 90+ DEF, whereas only a couple of seasons later, you had 17 with 90+ DEF and a whopping 46 with 90+DEF nowadays). That combined with a lot of skaters leaning heavily towards scoring and the combination of less defensemen blocking shots, goalies letting more in and, of those they did stop, spilling more of them for rebound opportunities led to the chaos that was easily my highest scoring year.

Edited by Tagger

26 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

I thought you actually worked at your new job?

I “worked” from home today because they made us evacuate the building due to paint fumes. They had no work to provide me since im still in training so i made my own work