S39 VHL Entry Draft Discussion

Kyle

Thank you Greg, everyone has made that fact pretty clear.

Here's the thing, I really don't care if I go first. I've never put myself on some kind of un-touchable pedestal and stated no one deserves 1st overall more than me. I've just defended myself when everyone has chosen to point out how completely undeserving of basically anything I am on account of, I guess, players I had during the busiest  two years of university.

- Sharpe was active despite being banned for an entire season.

- Beketov is in the HoF, kinda don't need to say more.

- Young was active his entire career, including an entire season on the bears bench.

- Kristensen was a load of donkey nuts, I'll give you that.

- White was on and off. I had some pretty shit seasons but I also had some perfectly valid ones.

- Chekhov was active his entire career. It just happened to be slightly short (although still 6 seasons) because of a complete lack of goalie market.

So, if we're keeping score, save a few weeks here and there (which everyone has) I've been perfectly active of 2/6 players. I'd say with the amount of players I've had that's a pretty decent track record.

That got a lot more ranty than I intended and I apologize. Just trying to make a point though.

I think the thing that hurts your case is the fact that Kristensen and White are two of your more recent players, in comparison. If, say, Beketov and Young were the weaker ones and Kristensen and White had their track records, you'd likely be up with Higgins. The debate is basically whether Chekhov is enough for GMs to believe you're fully back when the two before that were less than stellar. In a thinner draft, it wouldn't be an issue, but do you take a boom or bust player whose boom is 10 (on a scale of 1-10) and whose bust is 5, or do you take a more consistent player who'll almost always be in the 7-8 range? That said, I didn't believe it at the beginning of the season or even midway, but I'm actually starting to believe more and more that you'll be good. I've often avoided players such as you, because of the increased value the league has often put on recreates (and won't take you at 2 solely because I have a dire need for defense) but depending on what happens in trades between now and the draft, I would certainly consider you a possibility. Chekhov was continually good the whole way (activity-wise, anyway) and as a forward, you'll have more opportunity.

I know a lot of this is based on need, but I would certainly take him before me. He's proven capable of making good to great players before, unlike myself who could flake out at any moment.

I like you. I choose you 11th overall. I am the GM of the Istanbul Cheetahs

Since it does look like any deals will go down tonight here is another mock draft

1. :hel: Helsinki (QUE) - Strokes

2. :cal: Calgary - Miller

3. :hel: Helsinki - Faraday

4. :col: Cologne - Yamazaki

5. :hel: Helsinki (SEA) - Boomgaarden

6. :vas: Vasteras - Erikson

7. :col: Cologne (RIG) - Sundberg

8. :nya: New York - Denis

9. :hel: Helsinki (TOR) - Williams

10. :hel: Helsinki (DAV) - Keeler

(and won't take you at 2 solely because I have a dire need for defense)

I'd say Calgary has more of a weakness at forward.

I'll be doing my final mock tomorrow (today) for the S39 Draft Rankings no TPE board anymore straight up who goes where. Last season I got 5/10 missing on picks based on need over ability. This season I'll be happy to get 3/10 right.

Calgary has a weakness at everything ;).

And Roberto's a boss.  I just said to Moholt today that he's a guaranteed 500-600 TPE guy, even if he is off and on.  That's reliability.

1.  :hel: Helsinki (QUE) - Stokes
2.  :cal: Calgary - Yamzaki (still see this as a perfect fit tbh)
3.  :hel: Helsinki - Faraday
4.  :col: Cologne - Miller
5.  :hel: Helsinki (SEA) - Boomgaarden
6.  :vas: Vasteras - Denis 
7.  :col: Cologne (RIG) - Sundberg
8.  :nya: New York - Erikson
9.  :hel: Helsinki (TOR) - Keeler
10.  :hel: Helsinki (DAV) - Williams

Seems to be the way it's looking is my guess. First time ever the top TPE earner drops out of the top 3? Course we don't know anything yet.

Disregarding the automatic picks in my draft year (Kendrick to Cologne, Higgins to Helsinki) I had the most tpe I believe in my year. Yet Lebedev, Heiss Jr (who was pretty equal to me, few tpe behind), Lindemann went before me. So think it happened before

• Commissioner

Miller - 210

Yamazaki - 204

Stokes - 200

those two created a month before me...i'm coming for you boys ;)

Your job definitely helps you out there, by draft time it's more than possible that you'll be above me. I seriously need to pick something up.

• Commissioner

Still means it happened, and that is what he wondered about. Not my fault teams like Helsinki would put their faith in Tukio :(

Admittedly it is what I asked but goalies do change the landscape a little since you either really need one or you really don't.

That said, as I just mentioned, it's more than possible that Stokes will surpass me by the time the draft rolls around.

Your job definitely helps you out there, by draft time it's more than possible that you'll be above me. I seriously need to pick something up.

i'm not gonna pass you by tomorrow :P

• Commissioner

Was definitely not expecting the draft to be that soon haha. So yeah, I guess I'll be the highest TPE this draft.

• Commissioner

Pretty bold prediction, although at least it's something different.

Final Pre-draft update is in for me: 228 TPE pre-draft. Certainly not the most ever but I believe it's the highest I've ever gotten.

• Senior Admin

Final predicks:

1 - Helsinki - James Faragay

2 - Calgary - Koji Yamaslacki

3 - Helsinki - Tyson Chokes

4 - Cologne - Jackson Miller

5 - Helsinki - Andrew Erikson

6 - Vasteras - Mikkel Boomgarden

7 - Cologne - Sundberg

8 - I don't fucking know :o

Final predicks:

1 - Helsinki - James Faragay

2 - Calgary - Koji Yamaslacki

3 - Helsinki - Tyson Chokes

4 - Cologne - Jackson Miller

5 - Helsinki - Andrew Erikson

6 - Vasteras - Mikkel Boomgarden

7 - Cologne - Sundberg

8 - I don't fucking know :o

This is too unpredictable, but I don't see Sundberg falling past Vasteras. I mean it's the guys hometown and he's been repping that vasty logo a lil too much! :D

• Senior Admin

This is too unpredictable, but I don't see Sundberg falling past Vasteras. I mean it's the guys hometown and he's been repping that vasty logo a lil too much! :D

Positional need sloot