Jigg's Thoughts Over LVA's Draft

JigglyGumballs

So this is my second time ever watching/participating in a VHLM draft. This time I wasn't a player exposed to it but rather part of management helping out make decisions about the picks. I personally had a lot of fun being in the draft stream, though there were some mistakes on my end, I think we did pretty well. So now I'm gonna do a sort of draft review of Las Vegas' picks. Kinda show how I thought of the picks and maybe a bit of the thought process behind the picks and what I expect out of them. No pressure though as I think everyone has a chance of being great here in the VHLM and VHL. With that out of the way, let's do this shit! (also all the TPE is based on the most recent updates so they may be different from the draft)

7th Overall - Nicholas Sunderbruch TPE: 142

@NickSunderbruch

Sunderbruch played for Las Vegas last season and scored 40 points in 70 VHLM games in the regular season. However he was over a point per game in the playoffs with 7 points in 6 games. He was somebody we knew pretty well and was around our range. So we just had to bring the boi back home. He's honestly a great guy, awesome in the locker room and is pretty consistent with his earning. I expect that he's gonna have a great season in the VHLM as he continues to consistently grow and he'll do just as well in the VHL with Toronto eventually. What's also great is that Spartan didn't have to take another shot when it was so early in the draft. Overall a solid pick in my opinion and it's really great to have you back bud!

19th Overall - It's Gucci TPE: 110

@frescoelmo

So fresco's player was drafted out of necessity to find someone that can fit the second line since we suddenly had that spot open as one of our players had to move up. We knew that if we didn't take him, he'll be taken later on and we'd be fucked. The talent at C kinda drops off past these first 2 rounds so taking him was a slam dunk pick for us. Fresco has been around the league for quite a while and he's pretty fun in the VHL discord server from what I've seen. I also just like his player name. I think it's fun. Another to thing to add was that our previous top options that we scouted from another time had been picked earlier. So technically it all works out in the end as we filled out a positional need. I guess you can say that it's all Gucci haha I am cringe.

30th Overall - Kelly Power TPE: 44

@Nordin

So Power was the lowest TPE player drafted in the 3rd round. He was drafted decently early in the third round as well. So why pick him this early? We felt like Nordin is a guy that can grow consistently. He may have a low TPE for now, but by season's end, I feel that he'll be worth the pick. And that's what you want the most out of players, consistency and activity is something I value over than just how many TPE they have. It makes the experience for both the other players and themselves better and we can all have just chill and have a good time. Nordin I feel can be a consistent earner, and he's been pretty cool so far in the LR as well. Spartan knows him from the EFL I think as well so again he was pretty desirable for us. I can't judge how solid of a pick he is yet until the end of the season, but I'll be interested to see where he goes.

35th Overall - Chase Crosby TPE: 129

@Wreckening

So Crosby is yet again another returning roster player. Having only 19 points last season but he is a really great defensive guy as he had a +40 rating last season. We already had a solid Top 4 before the draft so at this point, it was just to add even more depth to our defensive core. Crosby is another player I think can earn consistently. Again, I don't mind how much you do earn as long as it's enough and it's consistent. You don't necessarily have to be a max earner, but at least earn at a comfortable rate. And this is what I see in Crosby. He's been pretty chill in the locker room and overall he's just been great, and I'm happy that we have a really chill environment in Vegas. Based on just TPE, he's a pretty good pick but it's the growth that counts for me. Having him back on the team really just solidifies the defensive core.

39th Overall - Linus Zetterstrom TPE: 54

@Ledge_and_Dairy

Zetterstrom created pretty recently. September 5th. So he's a first gen player. We took our chances at him with our 39th pick not really out of positional need, but as a team that has had success from drafting first gens at later rounds and having them turn out great, we felt that he was the next one.  As a first gen myself, I know that as long as you're with a team that has a great LR or good environment, you'll really be motivated to be active more. I knew that Vegas has a lot of people that are really chill and friendly. A lot of people there help each other out and just generally have a good time. So I thought that bringing Zetterstrom in to a place like Vegas would really help them. I also really liked his response when I reached out to him so that's also a big reason why we took him. This pick is definitely a pick for the future. If Zetterstrom turns out great, and hopefully he does, he can potentially become a top 4 or even top 2 option for us in upcoming seasons. My only concern is that Ledge does not have discord but it's no big deal at all, there are a lot of people in the forum who doesn't have discord. Though not having chat on the forum is a bit of an inconvenience.

43rd Overall - Artair McCloud TPE: 60

@Hoopydog

Another winger, McCloud was a returning user that we decided to take in. I personally really liked how he responded when we reached out to him before the draft, a really chill guy and I honestly enjoy his enthusiasm with the team. And as Spartan said in the stream, we felt like he's a guy who can be great for the future and can be an immediate impact in the LR. Hoopy is definitely another pick for the future, someone I think will be great as a future first line winger for us. At this point, most of our picks are potentially for the future and if not, to flesh out depth in our forward core so I think this is a solid pick. I'm excited to have him on the team and having him in the LR really does liven up the place even more than it already is. I really can't say anything negative to any of our draft picks so far. I think we did good filling up both team needs and looking forward to the future.

55th Overall - Connor Sim TPE: 56

@SimmerDown99

So at around this range in the 5th round, teams are more or so forced to pick those that are much less active. I wasn't present for this pick as I had to leave the stream but I think this is the first pick I actually have doubts on though that can definitely change. During scouting, Sim was definitely an option I had considered, but I really had no idea how active he was gonna be. Still I'm glad that we are able to pick him up as hopefully he can earn consistently with support from us and the team. As of writing this, he's yet to join the LR. So we are still waiting on that. Another RW we can hopefully see grow into a top 6 position though that is if he consistently grows. His future to me, is uncertain, but I really hope he pans out.

62nd Overall - Andy Nexber TPE: 48

@Domino Draws

He hasn't updated at all during the week of the draft, and hasn't seen any sort of activity apart from the player creation. I think he's still potentially in that active range but I'm not certain at all. The thing I really hate about the playoffs is that teams can't sign these first gen new creates. So from their perpsective, it feels like no team is interested in you and you quickly lose interest in the league. Hopefully he starts updating again but for now, I think this is a pick that was made for the sake of making a pick.

63rd Overall - Leafs TPE: 48

@Leafs

Leafs is another player I feel is a very similar case to Andy Nexber. He hasn't been active since creating and again, part of that may be because he created during playoff time.  I won't assume anything as to why people become inactive as soon as they join but I do know that part of the reason why is because of playoff time. New creates are forced to wait until drafts, but unless they actually talk to a GM and get the gist of the league, they'll quickly just lose interest. So again, I won't say much as this to me is another pick for the sake of making a pick.

71st Overall - Bill Kapri TPE: 36

@KODAK

The last pick of the draft, Kapri is another one of those players that I think are still somewhat in the active range, but I have no idea how things will go at all. Hasn't updated since week ending of Aug 30th. I can't say much of what I've already said but hopefully all of these guys can come back and start being active now that they are in a team. I still think it's unlikely but at this point, I'm clinging onto hope. I'm not really the type of person to give up so easily on others when they still have a chance at being active in the VHL community. It's a big reason why I'm still bothering to mention these user and message them in the forum.

Well that was it for my long ass article. I hope everyone I've mentioned have a great season with us and thanks to @Spartan for again letting me be on stream. I'm super excited to start the season and this is just the beginning of something great in Vegas.

(1805 words)

Edited by JigglyGumballs

5 minutes ago, JigglyGumballs said:

What's also great is that Spartan didn't have to take another shot when it was so early in the draft.

Man, I had already finished the vodka and 2 beers by that time, I was fucking vibing already lol. Great article, loved the insights you dropped on stream and here!

• 11 months later...
On 9/14/2020 at 1:06 PM, JigglyGumballs said:

62nd Overall - Andy Nexber TPE: 48

@Domino Draws

He hasn't updated at all during the week of the draft, and hasn't seen any sort of activity apart from the player creation. I think he's still potentially in that active range but I'm not certain at all. The thing I really hate about the playoffs is that teams can't sign these first gen new creates. So from their perpsective, it feels like no team is interested in you and you quickly lose interest in the league. Hopefully he starts updating again but for now, I think this is a pick that was made for the sake of making a pick.

nexber couldve been assssssss