Using Social Media for Recruitment

Ricer13

I do not know the rules behind recruitment and using social media such as Twitter and Instagram but if there isn't any rules against it then I would suggest using our VHL Twitter account to create a recruitment post and have members from the league follow the VHL twitter account and then retweet the recruitment post. I think something similar could  be done with Instagram but I am not as familiar with Instagram. Recruitment has been lacking this seasons and I would love to try and help figure out a way to improve that so the league can continue to grow. I would like to get into the specifics but once I know if we are able to do this.  @BOG

I mean, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing that right now. It's just that we've never organized that in any sort of official capacity.

I'm somewhat neutral on this and could go one way or the other. I'm not really on social media and wouldn't join Twitter myself just to retweet stuff from the VHL account, but for those who might I'm probably not the right person to offer an official opinion. 

These two ^ had a great idea about creating an extension of the VSN where you have someone work just to manage social media and post articles written by the VSN on the social media accounts as well as post monthly recruitment ads or written articles. Then we can open to up to the league to retweet twitter recruitment ads for 1 tpe.

An idea that I personally think would be cool is like featuring VSN or really good articles on the Twitter page as like content for people to see and retweet. Then on occasion do actually recruitment drives. Of course it's still just a concept tho.

This was a very sudden thing that was talked about but I'm sure we can discuss about this and make it an actual plan since we all have to start some where. 

In terms of burnout, we could have an entire team for it, not huge but maybe 3-4 so the job can be split evenly. Articles, graphics, rankings, mocks can be posted. And it would be nice to also keep the entire community involved rather than just commis and BOG. 

1 hour ago, GustavMattias said:

I mean, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing that right now. It's just that we've never organized that in any sort of official capacity.

When I was working with Beav in recruitment, we ran our Facebook and Twitter. Sadly IRL made me step down but we were just about to venture into the Instagram space as well. Not sure what’s officially happening now but I still see Dil posting on Facebook (haven’t been on Twitter for a while).

I think Spyro, Dok and Berocka had some brief talks about starting a VHL YouTube if I’m remembering right. Was quite awhile ago, but it could still be an interesting concept as well as far as social media goes, and I’d be willing to help as much as my busy schedule will allow me haha.

I have searched VHL on youtube and I have found videos of guys teaching people how to get started. So we could do that too (newer version, better quality). 

1 hour ago, Ricer13 said:

I’d love to get involved in this somehow.

I would love to be able to help in any way too. 

1 hour ago, fonziGG said:

haven’t been on Twitter for a while

Twitter is mainly used by beav and sometimes dil. But they post stuff like stats, once a Venus Thightrap graphic. Those posts only get 1 or 2 likes, 0 retweets. IF we want it to be effective, we need to do some serious work ?

I think it’s wild how much content we as a community produce, and how most of it lies dormant on the forums where only the updates see it. We should be posting sick gfx on Instagram and linking to epic articles on twitter. All the blues/bogs have to do is hire someone/team to organize and distribute it.

Hockey Twitter is a huge world full of bloggers and podcasts and regular ol people who are missing writing and reading about hockey these days. Let’s go get them! (And leave the 12 year olds on YouTube and out of our discord)

1 hour ago, bigAL said:

(And leave the 12 year olds on YouTube and out of our discord)

Man I wish you were there to see the one time we took out a big YouTube ad in S69 to see firsthand just how true this was (in that one case at least; I'm well aware that we've had some great members come over from YouTube who might not love the generalization here). For about three days the Discord was a giant stream of people joining and throwing in whatever spam they wanted. I know for a fact we had at least two people from that drive permabanned and it might have been more than that--on top of that, we had maybe 3-4 people out of the 100-ish who joined actually stick around, and I'm not even sure anyone from that specific drive is still in the league.

Oh, and we had about 80 goalies, which was a fun time in and of itself.

Recruitment is all about throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks. That's why YouTube is effective. Twitter is a good place to recruit from but unfortunately me and @Dil only have so much time to post on it. If someone wants to help out the twitter for fun let me know and I might be able to work something out. 

57 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Recruitment is all about throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks. That's why YouTube is effective. Twitter is a good place to recruit from but unfortunately me and @Dil only have so much time to post on it. If someone wants to help out the twitter for fun let me know and I might be able to work something out. 

I am more than willing to help take over the Twitter side of things. I think a few of us have expressed interest in being able to make this a team effort.

4 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

I am more than willing to help take over the Twitter side of things. I think a few of us have expressed interest in being able to make this a team effort.

give me your handle and I can add you as a team member on tweetdeck