A rant about falling in the draft

fyrefly

I'm fucking mad. Like fucking MAD. I was watching the twitch stream of the VHLM dispersal draft last night, and Sheldon Juniper, my player, fell to the back of the second round. And get this, he has more TPE than the first overall pick. After coming in the clutch in the playoffs, scoring ten goals and scoring three game winning goals. After helping the Miami Marauders to the VHLM title. Fucking mad

image.thumb.png.6a17f8f6b25ed5a864ad7abad7437a9c.png

These are Juniper's stats from the playoffs. Ten goals, six assists, sixteen points in eighteen games. +7 plus/minus, 56 shots, 18 hits, one blocked shot, and five power play goals. An all around beast. And he'll only be scoring more next season as he develops. 

13. That is the number of players with less TPE that were drafted above of Juniper. THIRTEEN. I don't know exactly what GMs were thinking there, but I really don't understand. I CONSISTENTLY earn more than 14 TPE per week, a hell of a lot more than some of the guys drafted ahead of me. I'm REALLY FUCKING ACTIVE in the forums. But not discord. I don't have discord. Which is probably why I fell. But is it a GOOD fucking reason? To pass on a guy who could be your team's leading scorer in favor of some random guy who is funny on discord and gets less than 10 TPE per week? I really don't get it. I really don't. If it's such a big fucking issue, then why don't we just move everything onto the forums? Then good players like Juniper won't be shunned in favor of guys who will be IA in a season. 

Yeah, I'm still fucking mad. Watch the first ten seconds of this video of Filip Zadina talking. It's exactly how I feel. "I'm going to fill their nets with pucks. I just want them to know that they shouldn't have passed me on"

Thank you to the Yukon Rush for believing in me. You won't 

So now that I'm done ranting, I just want to shine some light on some guys who I think will become steals for the team that drafted them.

Cabe McJake, Miami Marauders, 3rd overall

When I saw the Marlins make the first two picks, and Cabe wasn't one of them, I laughed pretty hard. Cabe is the best player of this draft class in my opinion and I'm glad he'll keep the legacy alive in Miami.

Addison McLaren, Philadelphia Reapers, 9th overall

What is it this year with Marauders players being criminally underrated at the draft? Addison is a beast, he should have gone top five for sure. Key part of our playoff run.

Gunnar Odinsson, San Diego Marlins, 37th overall

Boom's newest recreate will have a long and fruitful career with the Marlins. I think recreates are always a safe bet in drafts.

Blim Blam McFluble, Philadelphia Reapers, 64th overall

This was a really great draft by Dmax. Addison and McFluble, who showed serious potential for the Bulls. 

500 words

38 minutes ago, fyrefly said:

I CONSISTENTLY earn more than 14 TPE per week

This is a tricky problem within the VHLM... sometimes, anyway. 

The cap used to be just 200, and with Juniper hovering around the 180 mark, some GMs may have been conflicted on whether or not you had decided to move up to the VHL for a rookie season (it is doable at just 200 TPA) or if you were going to stay in the minors; careers are only eight seasons long at the point you're eligible for the VHL draft, so your forward is now entering 1/8 on his career clock.

Given that you're earning 14 TPE a week, come time for the season with training camp and an incentive from the VHLM Grad Bonus, you could easily be at or above 200 and decide to play in the VHL so you're not spending a full season of the eight you have in the minors. 

If you look at the draft board a lot of players that were selected had lower TPE amounts, and those who were selected near the actual 250 cap are either making a gamble or have spoken to that player.

Hope this soothed your frustration a bit. :)

I love the fire in this article.

I can only speak for my team. Philly was definitely high on you because of the reasons you listed. We loved your activity and loved your player's performance. Unfortunately, we only needed 1 winger to fill out our top 4 wing spots. We had much larger needs at defense and center. After we traded up to draft McLaren ( @tcookie25) at #9 we no longer needed a winger with our early picks and you fell off our board.

1 hour ago, Peace said:

This is a tricky problem within the VHLM... sometimes, anyway. 

The cap used to be just 200, and with Juniper hovering around the 180 mark, some GMs may have been conflicted on whether or not you had decided to move up to the VHL for a rookie season (it is doable at just 200 TPA) or if you were going to stay in the minors; careers are only eight seasons long at the point you're eligible for the VHL draft, so your forward is now entering 1/8 on his career clock.

Given that you're earning 14 TPE a week, come time for the season with training camp and an incentive from the VHLM Grad Bonus, you could easily be at or above 200 and decide to play in the VHL so you're not spending a full season of the eight you have in the minors. 

If you look at the draft board a lot of players that were selected had lower TPE amounts, and those who were selected near the actual 250 cap are either making a gamble or have spoken to that player.

Hope this soothed your frustration a bit. :)

Yeah, it sure helped. I plan to stay in the VHLM for another season, so I'm not holed up on the fourth line of a VHL team. 

48 minutes ago, DMaximus said:

I love the fire in this article.

I can only speak for my team. Philly was definitely high on you because of the reasons you listed. We loved your activity and loved your player's performance. Unfortunately, we only needed 1 winger to fill out our top 4 wing spots. We had much larger needs at defense and center. After we traded up to draft McLaren ( @tcookie25) at #9 we no longer needed a winger with our early picks and you fell off our board.

The Reapers are going to be goood next season. I think you had an amazing draft, Addison is a monster. 

Review: You tell 'em Juniper haha, you're a huge steal at 23. The video's kinda huge. I guess there's nothing you can do about it though, but it's bit distracting. You didn't actually finish the last sentence of the rant part, the one after thanking Yukon. Liked the section about possible steals, an add-on related to falling in the draft. Good rant, article delivers on its title. 8.5/10

The rant is just amazing. I feel like now you have to prove to the other GMs that you were the right choice. The TPE you are earning is great. I'm sure if you keep up the Capped earning you will get to 250. I wouldn't say this was informative, more comedy / rant. I feel like the steals could be an article on its own. Congrats on getting drafted by the way. Overall I'd say this is a 9/10 rating. Keep up that fire in your future articles too!

Thats just sometimes how the cookie crumbles, no matter how good your player would be if it doesnt match the team's needs, youre gonna have a bad time. Take me for example, I was very low-end draft pick and I was picked before some guys who had much higher TPE and me (and impact of course lol)

9/10 rant would read again

Review: Wow, there's some serious fire in this rant. I like it. A player as active as Juniper is bound to have a great career. My only tips are, if you can, make the video smaller, and some of your sentences got cut off there. But you spaced it well and used bold text, which is good.

8/10