Hey everyone! As we each sit back and look at the effect that COVID-19 has had on our world we often talk about the economy, how life is no longer "normal," and how frustrated we each tend to be feeling.

One thing that is often over looked is mental health. Understand that we are creatures who desire to be together, who long for community. It's hard to break away from that, especially when it's because of something we can't really control. This lack of control, and isolation, creates a dangerous concoction which can often lead to poor physical and mental health.

I've only been here for a couple of months, but I value this community, and I care about each of you deeply. So, I wanted to bring up two things...

1) My profession allows for me to spend a lot of time listening to people and being a shoulder to lean/cry on. If you need that from me do not hesitate to ask, I'm here for you. I'll happily message you when I can, talk to you on the phone, or even video chat with you. I'm open to listen to anything you have to say.

2) What are you doing to keep a positive frame of mind during all of this? Are there any new hobbies you are trying? What is it that makes your mental health better?

This league is great, and we often spend a lot of time talking with one another, but that doesn't mean it's reserved for hockey, memes, and jokes about @Beaviss (love you bro). We can be a great support system for one another, and don't ever forget that! 

Never be afraid to reach out for help. There is no shame in it.

• Head Moderator
1 minute ago, thadthrasher said:

1) My profession allows for me to spend a lot of time listening to people and being a shoulder to lean/cry on. If you need that from me do not hesitate to ask, I'm here for you. I'll happily message you when I can, talk to you on the phone, or even video chat with you. I'm open to listen to anything you have to say.

2) What are you doing to keep a positive frame of mind during all of this? Are there any new hobbies you are trying? What is it that makes your mental health better?

I think discord has been a great means of staying connected during the pandemic.  Would definitely recommend those who don't utilize this tool to at least check it out this winter.

Activities I've been getting into since covid: more hikes (outdoor activities in general), biking/running, cooking different types of meals, fixing and updating some older items in my condo

Just now, frescoelmo said:

more hikes (outdoor activities in general), biking/running, cooking different types of meals

This is pretty much what I've been doing as well. I love hiking and biking, not so much running though. Getting 1/4 of a cow has allowed me to cook quite a few new beef dishes, which I've enjoyed!

• Head Moderator
2 minutes ago, thadthrasher said:

This is pretty much what I've been doing as well. I love hiking and biking, not so much running though. Getting 1/4 of a cow has allowed me to cook quite a few new beef dishes, which I've enjoyed!

Yeah I mean there are less options now so I'm hoping to ski a bit this winter but we'll see, rollbacks have been plentiful since November started.

1 minute ago, frescoelmo said:

Yeah I mean there are less options now so I'm hoping to ski a bit this winter but we'll see, rollbacks have been plentiful since November started.

I used to ski a lot when I was a kid. I really want to get back into it. We are saving up for some kayaks, next it will be skis.

2) Start reading more, even a chapter or two a day is fine. Can't go wrong with a good story. I highly recommend Ken Follett's Kingsbridge series, especially if you like historical fiction.

The mentioned outdoor activities is another good one, simply walking X amount of time to one direction and jogging/running back is a great exercise. Good shoes and warm-up (for example walking a bit) before starting to run/jog is a great way to reduce the injury risk.

A stationary exercise bike is a solid investment, pay attention to the flywheel as you might quickly notice that the smaller ones do not offer enough resistance. (I don't know that much about exercise bikes, but some research first does not hurt)