S75 San Diego Marlins; Close But No Cigar

Bobo

Close But No Cigar: San Diego Marlins S75

WRITTEN AND EDITED BY DARIUS MARIMOTO

Since the Marlins held the third place seat in the VHLM league overall this season, the team had high expectations from fans and critics alike heading into this season’s playoffs. If they did so well in the regular season, and not so well in the playoffs, the media asked, “What went wrong?”

Well, today I am here to tell you what went wrong with the Marlins this season, and what led to legendary SDM GM Rockstar resigning in San Diego, to pursue better opportunities in the VHL. Let’s begin where this sequence of events started, the regular season. 

THE REGULAR SEASON FOR THE MARLINS:

This year, the Marlins were expected to dominate from the beginning, after drafting franchise defensemen Cowboy Prout and Scotty Kaberle first and second overall to lead their charge for the title. Prout alone put up quite the show on the statsheet with 91 points (22 goals and 69 assists) in 72 games played. He also put up an impressive 125 shots blocked. These numbers alone can explain why this defenseman was a key part to their success in the playoffs. Kaberle’s numbers are even better than Prout’s, with 103 points (27 goals and 76 assists) in 72 games played. He put up an impressive 106 shots blocked. These two remarkable defensemen played exceptionally well on the first defensive pair. They weren’t just dominant on the blue line, their forwards also brought the heat. One that stands out of the rest is Nero Endrizzi. He put up a remarkable 102 points (44 goals, 58 assists) and led their team in goals. He was backed up by LW Kaladin Kvothe and RW Red Lite, who both put up respectable numbers. Kvothe put up 29 points (15 goals and 14 assists) in 72 games; Lite put up 97 points (48 goals and 49 assists). Red Lite stood out more than Kvothe on the stats sheet, but both still played well enough on their positions. Let’s now look in net. 

For the Marlins, one goalie led the charge; Michael Olson. He put up a remarkable 51-19-2 record with a .896 save %, 2.64 GAA, and four shutouts. For being their only option in the crease (that I could find), he put up very good numbers. He was drafted 37th OVR back in ‘74, so I believe that’s a great pickup for them. 

MARLINS’ REGULAR SEASON RECORD: 51-19-2, 104 POINTS, 2ND PLACE IN THE WESTERN CONFERENCE. 

THE PLAYOFFS FOR THE MARLINS:

The playoffs for San Diego can only be described by one phrase, “Close, but no cigar.” Led by former GM Rockstar, and current AGM Moose, The San Diego Marlins were so close to the finals, yet they fell to the Reapers in five games, losing the last one by a close score of 1-0. As a result of this loss, GM at the time Rockstar has decided to resign from SDM after being the GM there for nine seasons. He made quite the lasting mark there in SD, making it as far as the semi-finals, but never winning any championships. He’s said that he wants to pursue other opportunities in the VHL management world. Anyways, looking back at the playoffs, the Marlins had some impressive firepower, sweeping the defending champs of the VHLM; the Miami Marauders. Their leading scorer was without surprise, top center Nero Endrizzi with 12 points (5 goals and 7 assists) in 9 games. Defenseman Gunnar Oddison was very productive too, putting up 11 points (2 goals and 9 assists) in nine games, alongside fellow defenseman Scotty Kaberle, who put up 9 points (2 goals and 7 assists) in nine games. Their roster was pretty well-rounded in all positions overall, and their goalie Michael Olson was great too, putting up a record of 5-3-1, a save % of .903, 2.40 GAA, and no shutouts. 

MARLIN’S PLAYOFF RECORD: 5-4, WON AGAINST MIAMI IN THE QUARTER-FINALS 4-0, LOST AGAINST PHILADELPHIA 4-1 IN THE SEMI-FINALS. 

*Footnote: It was a shorter article than usual sure, but it was fun to write. The VHLM will miss Rockstar as the GM of SD, but his legacy will not be forgotten.

WORD COUNT: 700 WORDS, 3907 CHARACTERS. 

TAGS: @DangerGolding@InstantRockstar@IamMOOSE@TurnDaddy@Tate@Prout@fromtheinside@BOOM@MSO94

Edited by dariusmarimotoman

One thing I love about the end of the season is season review articles like this

review as said above I love these types of articles and you did a great job breaking up the article into the regular season and playoffs personally  I would have liked a quick review of the series against Miami but that’s nitpicking 

rating 9.5/10

17 minutes ago, fromtheinside said:

Great recap of our season, I love to read up on what other's thought of our team's season. This was a really nice writeup and I liked the breakdown between regular season and post season. Really well done, thanks for the kind words sir!

Always a pleasure.

Really good write up and love the details. I always like to hear how others think of my team from the outside. This team was a blast to be on and everyone made it special to be on. To bad we couldn’t pull it off for Ir. Thanks for the tag!

25 minutes ago, Prout said:

Really good write up and love the details. I always like to hear how others think of my team from the outside. This team was a blast to be on and everyone made it special to be on. To bad we couldn’t pull it off for Ir. Thanks for the tag!

Thanks for the review. I appreciate your kindness. You’re welcome :)