Captains deserve TPE

jRuutu

Y5PM1nQ.gif

There was some discussion about GM's and AGM's salary in Discord earlier. Apparently, assistant general managers do not get TPE/cash for their efforts. Now, I'm not an AGM, but I can feel their pain. Before the season started, I was made the captain of the Seattle Bears. Guess what?  I'm not getting paid either!

That is crazy talk. Do you think these dancing bear gifs find themselves? No. I need to spend valuable time browsing the interweb for works of art that can hopefully bring joy into the locker room. On top of that, I need to actually behave like a captain. Do you know how hard it is to not do a handshake fakeout while approaching captains of opposite teams before games? I can tell you - it is hard.

giphy.gif

The argument for assistant general managers getting paid is reasonable, but if we take the time to compare someone bringing coffee to the general manager and then someone literally carrying the team on and off the ice, I think we can all agree that the real question is why captains are not getting paid.  

Assistant GM's walk around in their expensive suits. I bet they are tailor-made. They get to drive fancy cars. Sure, the general manager owns the car, but nevertheless, the assistant general manager gets to drive those beautiful machines.  The assistant general managers get to cook and eat the finest foods. Do you know what kind of luxury it is to be able to cook from the purest and most expensive ingredients? The assistant general managers get to do that. Simply put, the benefits of an assistant general manager lifestyle are already so great that I don't think salary needs to be anything other than 1 TPE that helps to cover the basics.

ch01.jpg

In my opinion, a reasonable TPE total that every captain should get each season is 10 TPE. The mental and physical stress that comes from being a captain in VHL is intense. The expectation is that the captain leads by example.

That includes absolutely everything from wearing the right team's merchandise when walking out of the bus/plane to putting the effort in every time the captain sets a foot in the locker room and ice.

Captains are the role models that every kid follows. At times it feels like the game of hockey is secondary to all the captain work off the ice. For that extra pressure and workload, I believe captains are the ones who deserve a bigger salary than assistant general managers.

I don't want to say assistant general managers are not needed, but if we would be on an island somewhere and you would need to pick one person to come with you to collect firewood. Would you take the captain or the assistant general manager? You would pick the captain every time. The captain already knows what it feels like when you are expected to carry heavy loads. The assistant general manager is not the ideal person for such tasks. You would take the assistant general manager to find the best ingredients for a cup of tea.

Pay the captains, not AGM's.

Interesting take here. I felt overall maybe 1-3 tpe a season for a captain but gms would pick friends and such more then some members that may actually deserve it. Still a argument that can go either way. Good read here

8/10

Review: I see where you're heads at with this and it was a definitely an interesting read with a funny sarcastic undertone (sorry if it wasn't) but I could see 2 TPE going towards being named captain to your team and maybe 1 TPE for being named alternate. I did enjoy the gif of the bear scratching his back now that looked nice. 9/10! 

Review you make a very good case with this and with good information to support, I for one agree with above that maybe 2 TPE for a Captain and 1 TPE for an alternate, but it also raises a concern of a GM picking their friends or even their own player as captains 

rating 10/10

This could be an excellent idea. We'd just have to hope people would be honest and not abuse their power to gain that extra tpe but this could work very well and add a new layer to being a Captain! 10/10

Review! This so far has been one of my favorite articles to read during my brief time on this site. But I can't help but notice, that while trashing on AGM's you also forget to mention your assistant captains as well. HOW CURIOUS! 10 TPE per year is a steep reward for such a role, though I suppose my one addendum would be if that if someone was to get that much TPE for being Captain- then clearly it should only be able to be applied to the Leadership stat. Since you're such a good leader being captain and all. Of course there would have to be punishments and/or fines to be a deterrent from players spending the TPE elsewhere. Otherwise, love the article, great comedic content with some slices of half truths! 9.5/10

review: Great article JRuutu, good amount of content, humor and I like the multiple pictures. No spelling issues that I saw and good spacing. Your idea is interesting for sure but I think you may be a little hard pressed to convince some people. I'd be down for captains getting a bit of extra TPE though, like 5 TPE or something. Either way keep up the great content!! 9/10