Official VHLE Questions Thread

Beketov

• Commissioner

A lot of you have been, understandably, asking questions after the Announcement last night and while we’re doing our best to answer them all as best we can some are likely to get missed; especially if we don’t have the answers yet or if they get buried in the announcement or on discord.

That’s why I’m making this thread. If you have any questions regarding the VHLE this is the place for them! I can’t promise we’ll have answers right now but we’ll try to get them for you as quickly as we can.

I need to know, will there be a VHLE draft?

Edit: Ignore this. But for real, with this new league, could there be two possible career paths a player could take?

Edited by Bobo

So the VHL and VHLE drafts will be held simultaneously, correct?  Two streams at the same time?  16 Vhl teams going 4 rounds and 6 Vhle teams going 12 rounds?

Should the Vhlm trim their draft by a few rounds, with the non drafted players being signed as FAs?  Perhaps the M teams should be given FA tickets after the draft that could be traded, could be a cool mechanic.

This is alot of draft mayhem (perhaps the chaos is the goal, lol), this could lead to alot of players being super confused, with a career path being even more hectic.

How do you foresee GMs will be dealing with this?  It seems the E is still a mix of a developmental/competitive league.

Does a players' salary count against the VHL teams cap space while playing in the VHLE? 

What would be the maximum salary for someone playing in the VHLE be?

Will there be a more permanent salary cap increase/decrease coming with the league changes or will it (likely) remain at 40m?

Too lazy to read through four pages so thought I'd ask here.

18 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

So the VHL and VHLE drafts will be held simultaneously, correct?  Two streams at the same time?  16 Vhl teams going 4 rounds and 6 Vhle teams going 12 rounds?

Should the Vhlm trim their draft by a few rounds, with the non drafted players being signed as FAs?  Perhaps the M teams should be given FA tickets after the draft that could be traded, could be a cool mechanic.

This is alot of draft mayhem (perhaps the chaos is the goal, lol), this could lead to alot of players being super confused, with a career path being even more hectic.

How do you foresee GMs will be dealing with this?  It seems the E is still a mix of a developmental/competitive league.

The drafts will be the same offseason but not simultaneous. VHLM draft length is still being discussed at this time to find the best balance, but I personally don’t see much changing in that way as the E draft is a season later for players than the M draft. 

5 minutes ago, Peace said:

Does a players' salary count against the VHL teams cap space while playing in the VHLE? 

What would be the maximum salary for someone playing in the VHLE be?

Will there be a more permanent salary cap increase/decrease coming with the league changes or will it (likely) remain at 40m?

Too lazy to read through four pages so thought I'd ask here.

1. VHLE will not count against VHL cap

2. At this time, it will likely be treated the same as drafted players in the VHLM. There is ongoing GM discussion on how to handle players who start their VHL/E draft seasons above 200, should they be allowed to enter the E, early, the salary structure of $1.5M for non-VHL drafted players would likely remain for both leagues - though that could change. 

3. Most likely is that the cap will return to $40M, but again that is always something we look at each offseason. 

32 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

The E is essentially a mid-tier competitive league, and is developmental in the sense that it gives fringe VHLers somewhere to play for a season or two.

It won’t be competing drafts with the VHL. Vasteras of the E could draft 300 TPE Gary Oakenson in the S79 off-season, and have him for S80. The Calgary Wranglers can also draft Gary Oakenson that very same off-season, and they would probably be able to call him up after a season in Europe, in S81. It would be functionally the same as drafting a player who needs more time in the VHLM.

55 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

It won’t be competing drafts with the VHL. Vasteras of the E could draft 300 TPE Gary Oakenson in the S79 off-season, and have him for S80.

I don't think e teams will be drafting in s79.  If they are, teams and gms will need to be announced very soon, so they can begin getting versed on the rules, and start draft planning with whoever is eligible.

15 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

I don't think e teams will be drafting in s79.  If they are, teams and gms will need to be announced very soon, so they can begin getting versed on the rules, and start draft planning with whoever is eligible.

20 hours ago, Beketov said:

Introduction Timeframe

OTherefore, the VHLE first season will be S80 meaning players that retire at this deadline will be the VHLE's first draft class. Players currently on VHL rosters who are under 350 TPE at the start of S80 may remain on the roster if they so choose or they may be placed into the VHLE draft, remaining as prospects for the VHL teams that drafted them. Likewise any players currently drafted who are still in the VHLM will be given the option of going to the VHL or the VHLE at 200 TPE. Their career clock remains unchanged however; only players starting in the S80 draft will be given the 9 season career and new depreciation rules.

Maybe I'm on crack, but I understand that to mean that S79 ends, the off-season comes, VHLE does their draft, and is ready to play for the upcoming S80.

I'm sure the ball will be rolling on teams and GMs and such soon, but that's two full seasons from now. I think if GMs were announced even by the end of this season that would be plenty of time to prepare. (Though maybe the trade deadline would be optimal timing because at that point forward, GMs will have an idea who is in the draft class)

Edited by JardyB10

• Commissioner
21 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

12 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

Maybe I'm on crack, but I understand that to mean that S79 ends, the off-season comes, VHLE does their draft, and is ready to play for the upcoming S80.

I'm sure the ball will be rolling on teams and GMs and such soon, but that's two full seasons from now. I think if GMs were announced even by the end of this season that would be plenty of time to prepare. (Though maybe the trade deadline would be optimal timing because at that point forward, GMs will have an idea who is in the draft class)

You’re both saying the same thing I think, just referring to the off-season differently.

The next draft is S79 which will be only the M and the VHL. The draft after is S80 which will be the VHLE’s first season. So we have at least 3-4 months to finalize things.

31 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

OTherefore, the VHLE first season will be S80 meaning players that retire at this deadline will be the VHLE's first draft class.

41 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Users who retire right now, this season, this TDL, will play in the E

Yeah s80 is the first class to enter the E.  Some 77s to 79s will play there too I suppose, but not get drafted.  So how will this work?  FA?  Waivers?  Or is it strictly S80 and onward...

Edited by MattyIce

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Yeah s80 is the first class to enter the E.  Some 77s to 79s will play there too I suppose, but not get drafted.  So how will this work?  FA?  Waivers?  Or is it strictly S80 and onward...

Putting them in the draft should be fine. The mostly likely course of action will be players declaring their intention before the draft if they fit into bracket, allowing them to be picked up in the draft.

• Commissioner
Just now, Prout said:

Too lazy to read through, can a player skip the “E”? 

The question thread isn’t supposed to be for people who don’t want to bother reading the actual announcement….

But yes. The floor of the VHL will be 350 TPE but if you get to that before the cutoff in your draft season you can skip the VHLE and go straight to the VHL.

I have a question actually. I could maybe scour the BOG for it, but is the 199 TPE VHLM cap a hard one? Or can one still update to 250 TPA during the VHLM season?

• Commissioner
Just now, JardyB10 said:

I have a question actually. I could maybe scour the BOG for it, but is the 199 TPE VHLM cap a hard one? Or can one still update to 250 TPA during the VHLM season?

Hard TPA cap but soft TPE cap, same as now. So you can earn past 200 but you can’t apply past 200 and anyone who’s at the cap at the cutoff is sent up.

19 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Hard TPA cap but soft TPE cap, same as now. So you can earn past 200 but you can’t apply past 200 and anyone who’s at the cap at the cutoff is sent up.

This is news.  What if they're not drafted and pass 200?

Edit:  "Choose to pass 200 tpa"

Edited by MattyIce

• Commissioner
Just now, MattyIce said:

I think everyone is assuming this is automatically going to be a bigger overarching change than it is. The fundamentals of how the league operates won’t change so how the M cap works is no different.

As per your question, that’s currently being discussed.

10 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Just to tack onto Beks reply, he means that if you hit 200 after the cutoff, you can’t apply more than the cap but may continue earning for when you enter the E the following season. 

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, rory said:

More of a logistics question for simming: Will Bek/Devise/?? rotate through each league, and will the E games be livesimmed?

Live sims will follow the same as they do in the other two. As I said before, it’s a transparency thing which isn’t related to a specific league.

As for who’s simming / the rotation: it’s likely @Quik or @Josh will move to full time simmer but it’s not confirmed yet. Rotation wise, in all likelihood, they will sims exclusively the VHLE and @Devise and I will continue to rotate between the M and the VHL. Again though, this is all subject to change.

• Commissioner

Also of note, I have made a new group for the @VHLE Commissioner team (which also resulted in the mod colour changing). They’ll need one of our handy little group icons but that can be sorted. To be honest I made those literally years ago so it might be time for an update anyway.

@Quik @Beketov I edited my question to say, choose to pass 200 tpa.  An undrafted player may exploit this, since they have nowhere to get called up to, in theory, unless temporary rights to an E team are granted before they reach any draft.

• Commissioner
Just now, MattyIce said:

@Quik @Beketov I edited my question to say, choose to pass 200 tpa.  An undrafted player may exploit this, since they have nowhere to get called up to, in theory, unless temporary rights to an E team are granted before they reach any draft.

There’s no “choosing” to pass it though. The portal will be set up the same way it is now, once 200 TPA is hit if you are on a VHLM roster you cannot apply more TPE, you can only bank it.

Again, the exact specifics of a VHLM player hitting 200 before their M draft is still being discussed.

4 minutes ago, Beketov said:

There’s no “choosing” to pass it though. The portal will be set up the same way it is now, once 200 TPA is hit if you are on a VHLM roster you cannot apply more TPE, you can only bank it.

Again, the exact specifics of a VHLM player hitting 200 before their M draft is still being discussed.

Oh ok I didnt know it was hard-coded into the portal.  Great to know thanks!