Official “what do you do for a living” Thread

Beketov

3 hours ago, leafsman said:

I'm an account at a property management company Cadillac Fairview.  We have a bunch of malls and office towers in Canada.  I've been there for 8 years now.

Nice, my work office is in one of those buildings! 

6 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

Maybe you worked with @Tate on Godzilla! He was an assistant director maybe.

I was a mere peon back then. No client facing roles yet so I don't think I would have met Tate. But that is a pretty cool role Tate had! I've since worked my way up so maybe I'll get the pleasure of interacting with him if he's got vendors doing VFX for his films! Also Godzilla was fun to work on, I hope you had fun on it too Tate! I still have my Gojira bracelet they gifted the VFX crew haha. 

I've been working since the day after finishing Gymnasium(~High School). I started making toilets and sinks in porcelain, Moved on to making underwater high voltage cabels for ~10 years. 

Met a Lady with a kid and when it was time to join homes my cabin was to small for all of us so had to move a bit. Started installing/digging fiber optic cables for broadband and started to learn that trade. 

Then was at a customers house setting up his fiber optic-connections and he told me a about a job at a heating plant he was retiring from, Said the pay was good(ALOT ALOT ALOT better

then what i was making at the time), the work could be hard and the hours long sometimes during the winter but most of the time it's easy going,

especially during the summer when nobody wants heat in their homes. So i jumped through the hoops and got that job. 

TLDR:

So long story short; now i work/train as a district heating technician. burning stuff for the big boilers.

So I guess this is the place to show my age, haha. After high school I spent 9 years in the USAF as a firefighter. I spent 7 of them living in Europe. Due to injuries I couldnt be a firefighter after I left the military. So I moved into law enforcement where I was the Assistant Jail Administrator for a facility with 400 inmates. I did that for 4 years, then decided I had enough of working for the government and joined corporate America as a Training Supervisor for a company that processed credit card transactions.

That company was bought out and I moved from Nashville to NC where I currently live. I switched careers again and became a high school history teacher which I retired from in Dec 2021. I wasnt ready to call it a career yet so I looked around and now work as a Learning Experience Designer for a company that uses Salesforce. Yea, I never heard of Salesforce either until I got this job...now it seems everywhere. 

Hahaha, so if you count my jobs as a teenager...been working for over 45 years. I plan on 6 more years, max. Then going to join my wife in that happy world of 100% retirement.

Edited by Otis Boudreaux Jr

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping this for fun.

I make spreadsheets for Financial Planners so they can do Financial Planning.

I also look for jobs, which is basically a job in itself. Shoutout to @Phil for finding a job, proud of you! Enjoy having 1 job now instead of 2!

Anyways surely one of you does something interesting!

17 hours ago, jacobcarson877 said:

Bumping this for fun.

I make spreadsheets for Financial Planners so they can do Financial Planning.

I also look for jobs, which is basically a job in itself. Shoutout to @Phil for finding a job, proud of you! Enjoy having 1 job now instead of 2!

Thank you! The job market here is garbage! 

I was a Regional Manager for Recreation, Fitness, and Aquatics and now made the switch into Corporate Financial Analysis lmao. Whatever pays the bills, amirite!?

On 3/26/2024 at 3:35 PM, jacobcarson877 said:

does being an actuary count, aka math for insurance pricing, it's thrilling. but have a co-op for it this summer :)

Edited by Nykonax

2 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

does being an actuary count, aka math for insurance pricing, it's thrilling. but have a co-op for it this summer :)

was somewhere on my shortlist of things to do in university! little TOO math-heavy for my taste but still fascinating from the outside!

I work for a dispensary currently. I mostly deal a lot with the patients that come in, on occasion I'll help with the harvest and grow.

I'm an accountant and Enrolled Agent (see below for definition). I do mostly taxes and accounting and a lot of calling people morons when I hang up the phone.

image.png.2eb279da3d71f00422f7ef98b95836d2.png