Official “what do you do for a living” Thread

Beketov

• Commissioner

I swear we used to have one of these but I realized chatting with @fishy earlier that it’s either been killed or buried or lost to the sands of time so seems best to start a new one.

Get to know your fellow VHLer’s and maybe learn a thing or two!

Howdy! 

Just so there are quite a few people in the league that know nothing about me, here we go!

I am a beekeeper, I have been doing this for all my life as my family has been keeping bees and making a lot of interesting items out of their products (For example, bee wax candles). I do this in my free time combined with video games, VHL and music (I do play guitar, bass and a bit of piano). 
In my professional life I have been a political advisor, project manager, risk manager but right now, I have devoted myself to political career (for next few months fully) as I have been elected in my local municipality as a council member. In the next few months I am planning to take a job at our local Culture center where I will be working as the director. 

Well, that sums it up for me, if anyone is interested in chatting about anything that you might think is in my field of interest, hit me up ;)

Cheers, 
Frosty

1 hour ago, FrostBeard said:

Howdy! 

Just so there are quite a few people in the league that know nothing about me, here we go!

I am a beekeeper, I have been doing this for all my life as my family has been keeping bees and making a lot of interesting items out of their products (For example, bee wax candles). I do this in my free time combined with video games, VHL and music (I do play guitar, bass and a bit of piano). 
In my professional life I have been a political advisor, project manager, risk manager but right now, I have devoted myself to political career (for next few months fully) as I have been elected in my local municipality as a council member. In the next few months I am planning to take a job at our local Culture center where I will be working as the director. 

Well, that sums it up for me, if anyone is interested in chatting about anything that you might think is in my field of interest, hit me up ;)

Cheers, 
Frosty

Ok I need your opinion on something.

There’s this beekeeper on TikTok (an attractive blonde woman) that posts all

these cool videos of getting bees out of unwanted places aka “saving the bees”. 

She eventually got called out by a bunch of beekeepers saying that she was fake and everything was set up for her to make these videos.

Have you seen this? Just wanted to see a personal opinion of an actual beekeeper haha. 

Just now, McKelvie said:

Ok I need your opinion on something.

There’s this beekeeper on TikTok (an attractive blonde woman) that posts all

these cool videos of getting bees out of unwanted places aka “saving the bees”. 

She eventually got called out by a bunch of beekeepers saying that she was fake and everything was set up for her to make these videos.

Have you seen this? Just wanted to see a personal opinion of an actual beekeeper haha. 

Haven't really been active on TikTok at all, I like have it on my phone but that is kinda it. If you can pass me some of her videos and stuff, I can evaluate them - it is actually pretty easy to see if someone has set up things ;)

When I first joined the VHL I was in 10th-11th grade, might have been the off-season in between.

Right now, after a very long hiatus, I’m a “professional” mechanical engineer and have been out of university for over 6 years now lol.

Tomorrow im actually moving to Arkansas for 3 months on a contract, but normally work in Newfoundland.

2 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

Haven't really been active on TikTok at all, I like have it on my phone but that is kinda it. If you can pass me some of her videos and stuff, I can evaluate them - it is actually pretty easy to see if someone has set up things ;)

if you search “TexasBeeWorks” on YouTube you’ll see a bunch of her videos if you want more raw footage to review.

1 hour ago, FrostBeard said:

Howdy! 

Cheers, 
Frosty

BEES!!! 🐝🐝

2 minutes ago, McKelvie said:

if you search “TexasBeeWorks” on YouTube you’ll see a bunch of her videos if you want more raw footage to review.

Yeah, no, I think that is extremely bad for an "influencer" to act. Bees are incredibly peaceful little creatures and it is true that you can go to a bee swarm that is without a home (Happens when a hive splits in two and the old queen flies away with her girls). They don't have any resources to defend, they are not aggressive BUT that is were it stops. 
Dark clothes for a bee swarm that has found a home or a raiding bee swarm can be extremely bad and can result in serious injuries. I know that, I learned it the hard away after I med a raiding bee swarm trying to enter one of my hives and got stung 46 times, yes, I counted the times a sting had to be removed from my body. 
With this, she puts on a beautiful show and shows how swarming bees are not gonna do anything to you but she encourages people to just go and meet these amazing little workers. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ4ns0JesDU&ab_channel=TexasBeeworks This video for example to me is a big no. Bees in a state like that can be extremely aggressive and I would not go to them without a protective suit. They have designated that washing machine their home and they will defend it, yes, sure, smoke can help as they will rush to protect the queen BUT sometimes it doesn't help and it is extremely dangerous. 

I would say this - bees are amazing and wonderful insects but you have to respect them and be sure to protect yourself. 

I am a commercial HVAC/R Technician. I work on heating and cooling systems on commercial buildings. We don’t do any residential work unless it’s for a commercial customer. I personally am apart of the “building automation” part of our company. I install, troubleshoot and repair the controls for the equipment.

It’s an amazing trade to get into if you’re ever considering a career in the trades.

This spring I'll be graduating with a degree in chemical engineering! I'm planning on going to grad school after that (currently narrowing down the places I'll apply to). After that's over I'd like to work in the industry somewhere--I'm interested in the energy sector and would love to help develop renewables. 

• Commissioner

Started this all so might as well share my own.

I work in post production for a TV and film production company. Primarily I’m an offline editor (would also sometimes be called a story editor) but I also do most of our final deliveries, dabble in online editing (would also sometimes be called finishing), and basically just do anything video related that’s needed.

Before you ask as well: no, I have likely not worked on anything you’ve seen. It’s not impossible of course but unlikely. We work primarily in French and primarily in doc. Since French docs aren’t exactly hyper popular my reach is not super far but we’ve made some great shows over the years.

2 hours ago, Ricer13 said:

I am a commercial HVAC/R Technician. I work on heating and cooling systems on commercial buildings. We don’t do any residential work unless it’s for a commercial customer. I personally am apart of the “building automation” part of our company. I install, troubleshoot and repair the controls for the equipment.

It’s an amazing trade to get into if you’re ever considering a career in the trades.

My job is to design and sell those systems :)