Druss Deathwalker Learning to Lead

animal74

5KJMW4HCJWI2TQ2X4K3LLESXZE.jpg

Druss Deathwalker: Learning To Lead

When I stepped into the Malmo locker room fresh from the S77 Draft, I was young, but not unseasoned, and with a bit of an axe to grind and a chip on my shoulder. I had some attitude, sure, and I played with an edge. I knew I had something to prove and wanted to make an immediate impact with the Nighthawks, not just on the ice but off it as well. My offense wasn’t where it needed to be that first season although leading the league in hits and being a positive and enthusiastic voice in the locker room proved to my teammates that I had what it took and I would do whatever it took to win.

At the start of S78, I was surprised and ecstatically honored to be named the sixth captain in franchise history. I’ve always thought that to be a leader, you need to become the type of person you would want to follow. I was so fortunate to learn from some great leaders in Malmo including Chris Hylands and Marshall James Frostbeard for a short time, and others such as Arthur Dayne, Viktor Alexei Kamenov, Randy Marsh, Artem Tretiak and Woody McPine. Even though I’ve taken something valuable from every teammate so far, I stay true to myself, my leadership style, and my game. Even though for hockey, being a leader usually means putting up points – and I continue to improve my offense – I still go out on the ice to disrupt teams physically yet I also strive to be a strong yet encouraging voice for my team. I train and practice as hard as I can and I play the game as hard as I can. And seeing as I’ve remained the captain into S80, I hope that I can continue to lead us to new heights as a team.

One of the great things about the Nighthawks organization is it is full of leaders from the top down. GM Hylands and AGM STZ have assemble a group of players that lead and feed off of each other. We will do whatever it takes for each other. Everyone in that locker room is equal with the other. I’m almost just a figurehead – a mascot for our boisterous style of play. I’ve learned quickly as the captain that I don’t really lead this team. We lead together. Winning the Continental Cup last season cemented this notion. We lead together. We won together. And as the captain, sometimes I lead and other times I follow. The key is knowing when to switch.

Mentions: @hylands @FrostBeard @Infernal @BigTittySmitty @oilmandan @Molholt @HearnNation67 @STZ