Erik Killinger HOF Article

Spartan

Edit: Formerly named "I goofed up and read Kellinger as Killinger so here's a HOF article for a player that isn't in the HOF, but I sure as shit am getting TPE out of this."

Ok, so a nice backstory here. S79 HOF Induction happened, I didn't really pay attention to it. I just knew Hogan got in from Discord. Later in the week, I saw Victor post that we needed HOF articles written up, and since they're 5 uncapped TPE, I jumped at the opportunity. There were a couple other folks in the thread, and the one unclaimed one that no one seemed to want was a player being referenced to as Kellinger. I read it as Killinger, aka Erik Killinger, Peace's forward turned defenseman. So below is my HOF article for a player that isn't in the HOF, and may never even get inducted to the HOF. Let this be a lesson to check player names to the individual letter. 

---

Position: D

Birthplace: Canada

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 208 lbs

Jersey Number: 

Drafted: S71 Round 1, Pick 11 (London)

Username: @Peace

Erik Killinger was a truly special talent. Once an oversized sniper of a winger that lacked any edge or grit, Killinger bloomed into one of the best all-around defensemen in the most recent expansion era of the VHL. Despite lighting up the league as a rookie with 53 points in 72 games, Killinger made the decision to transition into a blue-liner to better assist the team that drafted him, the Toronto Legion. Across his stoic 8 year career, Erik Killinger managed to average over a point per game, and only dipped below a point per game in a season during his rookie and sophomore seasons in the league. As he grew older, his all-around game improved as well, not only driving the offense for any team he played for, but also going from under 100 hits in a season to being one of the most physical players in the league. Although the teams he played for experienced plenty of flux and heartbreak, Killinger’s underlying play was generally rock solid, earning him a place in the VHL Hall of Fame.

Career Stats

Regular Season
575GP / 158G / 432A / 597P / +25 / 1980 SHT / 1100 PIM / 1643 HIT / 1055 SB / 21 GWG / 75 PPG / 3 SHG

Postseason
34GP / 10G / 23A / 33P / -2 / 112 SHT / 72 PIM / 124 HIT / 80 SB / 1 GWG / 5 PPG / 0 SHG

Career Awards

(S69) Founder’s Cup (SSK)

(S77) Sterling Labatte Trophy (Top Defenseman) (LDN)

(S77) Jake Wylde Trophy (Top Defensive Defenseman) (LDN)

S69 Saskatoon

Regular Season
24GP / 2G / 6A / 8P / +13 / 33 SHT / 10 PIM / 16 HIT / 3 SB / 0 GWG 

Postseason
14GP / 4G / 4A / 8P / +3 / 27 SHT / 0 PIM / 4 HIT / 1 SB / 2 GWG 

In Erik Killinger’s debut VHLM season, he chose to sign with one of the favorites to win the Founder’s Cup - the Saskatoon Wild. Although he only saw limited minutes as he adjusted to the pace of professional hockey, his impact on the ice can’t be underestimated. A highly intelligent and athletically gifted player, Killinger picked up 8 points in 24 regular season games, even throwing his 6’5” frame around a little bit. In the playoffs, Killinger flashed the offensive potential that he’d soon develop even further, with 4 goals and 4 assists in just 14 games as the Wild proceeded to win the Founder’s Cup that season.

S70 Houston

Regular Season
72GP / 62G / 62A / 124P / +55 / 411 SHT / 26 PIM / 54 HIT / 20 SB / 13 GWG / 12 PPG / 2 SHG

Postseason
8GP / 3G / 4A / 7P / 0 / 31 SHT / 4 PIM / 6 HIT / 2 SB / 1 GWG / 1 PPG / 0 SHG

As the first overall selection of the S70 VHLM Dispersal Draft by the Houston Bulls, all eyes were on Killinger who had seemingly made a name for himself as a top offensive winger in the S71 Draft Class. Expectations were through the roof and in his first full season, Killinger delivered to the tune of 62 goals and 62 assists for a total of 124 points and a +55 rating. A truly jaw dropping offensive output from such a young player, but one to be expected from a first overall selection. Unfortunately, the offensive performance didn’t translate into the playoffs that year, with Killinger putting up only 3 goals and 4 assists in 8 games, leaving him to turn his sights on the impending VHL draft.

S71 Toronto

Regular Season
72GP / 28G / 25A / 53P / +6 / 358 SHT / 42 PIM / 92 HIT / 35 SB / 4 GWG / 6 PPG

Somehow, the top pick of the S70 VHLM Draft made it down to the 11th selection of the S71 VHL Draft, where Toronto was more than happy to draft the big bodied winger. In an interview before the season began, Killinger mused over his goals for the season, hoping to score around 60 points, but realizing the era he was in could result in a more manageable 30 point season. With 4 rookie forwards debuting on the team in the same year, Killinger was given the opportunity to play on the first line immediately, alongside Chad Magnum and Nethila Dissanayake. Despite the Legion finishing last in the North American conference, Killinger enjoyed a productive rookie season, posting 28 goals and 25 assists, reinforcing the idea that he could become the top offensive threat for Toronto’s future. 

S72 Toronto

Regular Season
72GP / 14G / 50A / 64P / -11 / 236 SHT / 152 PIM / 217 HIT / 142 SB / 0 GWG / 11 PPG

Playoffs
7GP / 0G / 2A / +2 / 22 SHT / 16 PIM / 40 HIT / 12 SB / 0 GWG / 0 PPG

In the offseason before S72, Killinger made a shocking decision - to switch from a forward, to a defenseman along with Leon and Gabriel Gutzwiler. With 3 sophomore forwards and 2 more rookie forwards joining the team in S72, Killinger chose to play back as a blue-liner to provide the team more flexibility. While Killinger had never really shown the capability to play with his enormous size as a forward, the move to defense seemed to have refocused Killinger, unlocking his physical side to the tune of 217 hits and 142 blocked shots. A player that once was categorized as unable to use his massive frame was now on his way to being a top offensive/physical defenseman. The move seemingly helped Toronto as a whole, as the Legion snuck past the Vancouver Wolves to claim the final playoff spot in the NA Conference and secure a first round date with the Calgary Wranglers. However, Killinger was poor in his playoff debut, struggling to make an offensive impact in the series, notching only 2 assists in the 7 game series. A heartbreaking 4-3 loss in Game 7 sent the Legion packing, with hopes to return the next season.

S73 Toronto

Regular Season
72GP / 19G / 62A / 81P / +1 / 232 SHT / 174 PIM / 250 HIT / 166 SB / 4 GWG / 9 PPG

S73 marked a memorable point in the VHL, as four new teams were added to the league through expansion. Maybe not so memorable was that Toronto missed the playoffs yet again, but three players on the Legion tried their absolute hardest to avoid it from happening - Teemi Lehtinen Jr, Chad Magnum, and Erik Killinger. For the first time in his young career, Killinger averaged at least a point per game, putting up 19 goals and 62 assists from the blue line. He continued to build on the physical side of his game, adding 250 hits and blocking 166 shots, but in the end, Toronto was still left floundering outside the playoffs, and Killinger headed into the offseason with renewed vigor, hoping to finally make it past the first round of the playoffs.

S74 Toronto

Regular Season
72GP / 18G / 71A / 90P / +27 / 252 SHT / 156 PIM / 210 HIT / 138 SB / 1 GWG / 11 PPG

Postseason
12GP / 4G / 15A / 19P / 11 / 50 SHT / 30 PIM / 41 HIT / 37 SB / 0 GWG / 2 PPG

In arguably the best season of Killinger’s career, Toronto easily secured a playoff spot off the tremendous efforts of the stud blue liner. With 18 goals and 71 assists for 90 points, Killinger was the 6th best defenseman in points, and landed just outside the top 10 for both hits and shots blocked. A truly complete performance by Killinger throughout the season led Toronto to the playoffs for just the second time in his career, where they matched up against the perennial cup contenders, the Seattle Bears in a best of seven series. Although they dropped the first game, Toronto stormed back to win the next four in a row, setting up a second round matchup with the Vancouver Wolves. The series went all the way, with Vancouver winning both Game 6 and 7 to move on, leaving Toronto heartbroken. Killinger had another career best, this time in playoff performance, putting up 19 points in 12 games. While the team had met its goal of getting past the first round, a second round exit was no better. With key members of the team facing UFA and retirement, GM Rylan Peace was ready to make some massive changes.

S75 London

Regular Season
72GP / 22G / 55A / 77P / -10 / 213 SHT / 168 PIM / 229 HIT / 133 SB / 1 GWG / 13 PPG

Postseason
4GP / 1G / 1A / 2P / -3 / 15 SHT / 16 PIM / 9 HIT / 6 SB / 1 GWG 

In the stunner of the S74-S75 offseason, London and Toronto made a mega deal that sent Erik Killinger, Chad Magnum and an S77 TOR 1st to London in exchange for London’s 1st round picks from S75 through S77. London, an expansion team, was attempting to be the first team to make a deep playoff run, and felt that they had the other pieces to make it happen. With Kevin Malone in net, and multiple young, promising forwards, it seemed like a playoff fantasy could become reality. Killinger performed as expected of a top defenseman, leading the team in points with 22 goals and 55 assists. His performance helped London sneak into the EU conference playoffs as the 5th seed, but were quickly eliminated in the best of 5 series by Moscow. 

S76 London

Regular Season
72GP / 18G / 58A / 76P / -6 / 227 SHT / 129 PIM / 206 HIT / 132 SB / 2 GWG / 7 PPG / 1 SHG

Despite another year of growth, and the acquisitions of Kevin King from Vancouver and Julian Nousiainen, London failed to reach the playoffs in S76. By his lofty standards, even Erik Killinger had a down year. However, he still maintained his point per game pace, putting up 18 goals and 58 assists, and continued to be a physical defender on both ends of the ice, even chipping in a short handed goal this year. A frustrating year for London, and everyone was quick to move on to the next season with renewed hope and expectations of a bounce back season.

S77 London

Regular Season
72GP / 26G / 60A / 86P / +30 / 242 SHT / 122 PIM / 177 HIT / 182 SB / 6 GWG / 11 PPG / 2 SHG

Postseason
6GP / 2G / 2A / 4P / -5 / 14 SHT / 4 PIM / 17 HIT / 14 SB / 0 GWG / 2 PPG

S77 saw London make another swing for the fences, similarly to how they traded for Killinger from Toronto. This time, Bahram Kamkar, Kevin Malone, Maksim Yakolevsky, Philip Stein, the 3rd overall pick in the S77 draft, and a S78 LDN 3rd went to Moscow in exchange for award winning goalie Jacob Tonn, superstar Mikko Lahtinen entering his final season before retirement, and Moscow’s 1st round pick in S77 which turned out to be That Dude. With such pedigree coming into London to reinforce the team, playoff aspirations were back on the table, and Killinger had a new hop in his step. For the first time in a long time, Killinger didn’t lead his team in scoring, not even in the top 3, but still managed to put up 26 goals and 60 assists, earning him Labatte and Wylde honors at the end of the season for a truly spectacular defensive performance. Defensemen scoring over 25 goals in that era were rare, and Killinger managed to do it with ease, putting up 6 game winning goals and 2 short handed goals as well. The overall success of the team granted them a path straight into the playoffs as the second seed, avoiding the play-in round entirely. In the first round, they met the Helsinki Titans, where the Titans just couldn’t be stopped, winning 4-2 and sending Killinger home early once again.

S78 Helsinki/Toronto

Regular Season
71GP / 13G / 50A / 63P / -12 / 210 SHT / 157 PIM / 262 HIT / 127 SB / 3 GWG / 7 PPG

Postseason
5GP / 3G / 3A / 6P / -5 / 11 SHT / 6 PIM / 17 HIT / 11 SB / 0 GWG / 1 PPG

In the penultimate season of Erik Killinger’s career, London graciously provided the veteran defenseman with the opportunity to return back to where his career started. Toronto acquired Killinger and an S80 2nd in exchange for Micah Adrienne and an S80 3rd. Despite Toronto signalling an intent to compete for a playoff spot, they struggled, and Killinger wasn’t quite his consistent self. In 51 games with Toronto, Killinger scored 10 goals and notched 35 assists, but a -22 rating. At the trade deadline, Toronto decided to blow it all up, sending Killinger to Helsinki in exchange for an S79 2nd and S80 3rd. Helsinki was having a better season at that point, and Killinger once again flashed the all-around skills that made him a top defenseman in the league, with 3 goals and 15 assists in 20 games with the Finnish team. In the playoffs, Killinger seemed to have returned to form, with 3 goals and 3 assists in 5 games against the Malmo Nighthawks. In a crushing loss though, Malmo won the series in Game 5, with a 7-4 win, closing the curtains on the final chapter of one of the best all-around defensemen in VHL history.

Over 2k words, 4 weeks of claim.

Edited by Spartan

That's hilarious

Hell of an article, I'd even make a case for the extra 5 uncapped since it is technically still a HoF article

Whenever Killinger landed in London he excelled everyone with his complete game on the back end. Pure athleticism put him above most of the league and his skill made it easier to make adjustments or skate it in because you knew he was ready to stop a breakaway if a mistake happened.

Edited by 16z

Review time: Well I'm reviewing two MS's that are to do with Erik Killinger, funny XD This really is just as professional as all the rest, you didn't miss a beat. you got overall pick, profile (I.E height and weight), career stats, stats from every season and a breakdown of how it went. Each season is well defined with bold and underline used and a good amount to read from each season. The summary in italics is a good choice to. Fantastic media spot! There's no way I can't give this a 10/10!

• Spartan changed the title to Erik Killinger HOF Article

Great article! Having played with EK on the S69 Founder's Cup Wild and having been on the Nighthawks team that kicked him out into retirement in S78, I have a bit more personal link to this article than some. 😄 This was the standard HOF article layout to a T. Great highlights of the scenarios around Killinger's career along with personal achievements. Aside from the lack of a Cup, who knows, he may have an outside chance of getting in the Hall with the great stats! Fantastic write-up @Spartan. A pleasure to read.

Review: 10/10

• 1 year later...
On 10/23/2021 at 5:47 AM, Victor said:

Maybe in S83 or whenever he gets in hahaha.

Good article, I don't think it will go to waste.

4 seasons off, not bad. 5 uncapped woo!

• Commissioner
16 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

Wait, does that mean I can claim the Groovy Dood HOF article as MS as well 🤔

No because @Spartan  shouldn’t be able to claim this for the uncapped. You can’t double dip the HoF articles as MS and uncapped. If he already claimed it as an MS that’s it for the claims.

4 minutes ago, Beketov said:

No because @Spartan  shouldn’t be able to claim this for the uncapped. You can’t double dip the HoF articles as MS and uncapped. If he already claimed it as an MS that’s it for the claims.

I thought that would be the case, posted it more for the memes... Thanks for the clarification, Beketov, much appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Smh my head. I don't even recall if I claimed it as a MS, but if I did - could I just not get the free week on the Markinson article I'm working on now? It's not like I've never had a plethora of multi-claim options, I wrote a 2k draft recap article this weekend that I'll likely never claim.

• Commissioner
6 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Smh my head. I don't even recall if I claimed it as a MS, but if I did - could I just not get the free week on the Markinson article I'm working on now? It's not like I've never had a plethora of multi-claim options, I wrote a 2k draft recap article this weekend that I'll likely never claim.

I mean we can discuss how we want to get this to work. All I'm saying is HoF article bonuses don't stack with the articles as MS' because otherwise they would be worth like 30 TPE.

31 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I mean we can discuss how we want to get this to work. All I'm saying is HoF article bonuses don't stack with the articles as MS' because otherwise they would be worth like 30 TPE.

Could I just never claim the draft recap article and get the HOF uncapped? I can comment in that thread or retitle it saying it won't be claimed at all. Will make up the 4 weeks there.

For context, this is the MS I'm referring to:

• Commissioner
15 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Could I just never claim the draft recap article and get the HOF uncapped? I can comment in that thread or retitle it saying it won't be claimed at all. Will make up the 4 weeks there.

For context, this is the MS I'm referring to:

Yeah that works