Premier League Talk 2014/2015

Phil

So, League One MK Dons beat United 4-0 in the League Cup.

True story: I used to work at their stadium (it's a town nearby)

lmaoooo

United fans were so optimistic coming into this season. Suddenly David Moyes doesn't look too bad. Wonder how long Van Gaal will last.

• Admin

I know nothing about him. Give me a scouting report!

Don't think anyone knew him in spring 2013 but then he joined Roma from Udinese and turned out to be arguably the best defender in Serie A. Of course, Roma only played once a week + Coppa Italia and I couldn't predict how he'll cope with more matches or being the 3rd/4th defender. But he's intelligent and can score headers. Godin might be a good comparison.

He was one of the captains near the end of the season though and demanded the highest wages or close enough from Roma. Roma is all about loyalty and longevity (see Totti, de Rossi) so they didn't take too well to that. Tried to reason, offered an improved contract, he forced his way out. Bayern got a great defender and Roma reinvested well too. Everyone wins. And he didn't end up at either Manchester so I'm happy enough.

Don't think anyone knew him in spring 2013 but then he joined Roma from Udinese and turned out to be arguably the best defender in Serie A. Of course, Roma only played once a week + Coppa Italia and I couldn't predict how he'll cope with more matches or being the 3rd/4th defender. But he's intelligent and can score headers. Godin might be a good comparison.

He was one of the captains near the end of the season though and demanded the highest wages or close enough from Roma. Roma is all about loyalty and longevity (see Totti, de Rossi) so they didn't take too well to that. Tried to reason, offered an improved contract, he forced his way out. Bayern got a great defender and Roma reinvested well too. Everyone wins. And he didn't end up at either Manchester so I'm happy enough.

Good to hear, hopefully he can kick Dante out of that spot!

I would laugh very hard if United now ended up signing Dante.

That would be a fail, majorly. Dante is very slow for a young guy with great length (almost Mertesacker slow). He is out of position 90% of the time which allows guys to have easy tap ins (see: Sergio Ramos or Karim Benzema). The only quality he has worth talking about is his in the air ability in the oppositions 18 yard box, other than that he is useless. One of the worst first touches in football.

I wouldn't call him young, he's 31 in October. I think United will go for two or three from Rojo, Jones, Smalling, and Evans. Good luck with that.

He is young to me, because I'm waiting for him to develop haha

• Admin

Yeah saw that earlier today. Typical media timing but it explains some things, like van Gaal expecting too much of more basic players (United are crawling with them) since tbf, Klose is a pretty basic poacher, not one for advanced tactics.

That said, everyone will pile on him and I've seen some things from early 09-10 Bayern which contrast with how that season ended for them. He should get his players in place eventually a la Mourinho but atm the squad just lacks intelligence and pace.

Yeah saw that earlier today. Typical media timing but it explains some things, like van Gaal expecting too much of more basic players (United are crawling with them) since tbf, Klose is a pretty basic poacher, not one for advanced tactics.

That said, everyone will pile on him and I've seen some things from early 09-10 Bayern which contrast with how that season ended for them. He should get his players in place eventually a la Mourinho but atm the squad just lacks intelligence and pace.

Yeah Klose is a very basic player and advanced tactics aren't really his thing so LvG wasn't the best fit for him as a player. I'm on the fence about him cause of who followed him up.