Premier League Talk 2014/2015

Phil

• Admin

So, this thread is clearly not entirely about the Prem, so... Kendrick, do you think Leverkusen are a good bet for 2nd place in the Bundesliga? They scored a lot before and Kiessling is crazy consistent and now with that offense-mad Salzburg manager many are tipping them as a fun team to watch (and they scored pretty quick goals, heh?). Like the acquisitions of Calhanoglu, Drmic, and Jedvaj too.

• Admin

Xabi* :P

Unbelievable how he's so cheap. Yeah he's old but he is still quality. Alonso and di Maria were key to Real last season, they better hope Kroos fits in seamlessly and Khedira/Illaramendi step up.

Arsenal's group certainly won't be the easiest, but it certainly could have been far worse. I feel we are a clear level ahead of Galatasaray, and Anderlecht. BVB will be tough, but at least they no longer have Lewandowski.

Edited by Seth

Basel will be an interesting case. A team from POT 2 that most people will probably predict to go out, as Pool are their POT 3 team. Personally, I think that one will end up going down to the wire, Basel are better than people give them credit for and Pool are probably not as good as the same, but if you go up to a casual fan and talk to them about Pool vs. Basel they'll think you're talking about something akin to Arsenal vs. Anderlecht.

Victor, to answer your question: Maybe not a lock because the Bundesliga is so wide open in the later stages of the season usually. They have the depth to stay consistent though so I think much of what you said is correct. If BVB can ever get their shoes on correctly, they may come back and make a run for it. However, Kiessling is something to watch. He has tons of skill and just never had enough to push anyone off the National team. They were one of the teams who decided to spend a bit more in the transfer window.

Xabi is an alright addition. He is cheap and a good player but we already have several players at that position. He fills in for Bastian who might be out for awhile. Pep is taking a lot of heat right now because he is making this team international and bringing in more Spanish players than the crowd base would like. What that does is allow homegrown talent like Kroos to go elsewhere. Speaking of Kroos, he is doing pretty good in Real but it's just a matter of time before they purchase the next big star and Toni finds himself on the bench.

Regarding Champions League, we got a tough draw but it will be funny watching the new guy face Roma right away! CSKA is no slouch either folks. Man City will be tough but hopefully Joe Hart gives up his usual silly goal to us.

People say the Bundesliga is a step below about 5 leagues in Europe (SPA, ENG, ITA, FRA and NTH) but there are 4 German teams in the Champions league and have been for a few years now. Plus, Schalke is no walkover when it comes to that competition.

Victor, to answer your question: Maybe not a lock because the Bundesliga is so wide open in the later stages of the season usually. They have the depth to stay consistent though so I think much of what you said is correct. If BVB can ever get their shoes on correctly, they may come back and make a run for it. However, Kiessling is something to watch. He has tons of skill and just never had enough to push anyone off the National team. They were one of the teams who decided to spend a bit more in the transfer window.

Xabi is an alright addition. He is cheap and a good player but we already have several players at that position. He fills in for Bastian who might be out for awhile. Pep is taking a lot of heat right now because he is making this team international and bringing in more Spanish players than the crowd base would like. What that does is allow homegrown talent like Kroos to go elsewhere. Speaking of Kroos, he is doing pretty good in Real but it's just a matter of time before they purchase the next big star and Toni finds himself on the bench.

Regarding Champions League, we got a tough draw but it will be funny watching the new guy face Roma right away! CSKA is no slouch either folks. Man City will be tough but hopefully Joe Hart gives up his usual silly goal to us.

People say the Bundesliga is a step below about 5 leagues in Europe (SPA, ENG, ITA, FRA and NTH) but there are 4 German teams in the Champions league and have been for a few years now. Plus, Schalke is no walkover when it comes to that competition.

Bundesliga is MILES ahead of France and Netherlands. France is a two team league (and even then, Monaco are well back of PSG) and Netherlands? Even Ajax has had trouble in international play and that's about all they have. PSV, Feyenoord, AZ Alkmaar might have been better 5 years ago than the Bundesliga teams other than Bayern are now, but they've fallen off at the same rate and thus have stayed far worse.

I think where some look at the French league is at Lyon, Lille, PSG and Monaco. But even then three of those teams are highly inconsistent. I agree with you guys, that Dutch league has fallen off.

Victor, I don't see Schalke even qualifying this year to the Round 16. They have dropped down even more than last season. Also, don't be surprised if Bayern don't go as far this year, the squad has been riddled by injury after injury and some guys are out of form from the world cup. Real looks like the favourite after winning and loading up again, which is sad because they have no homegrown talent.

• Admin

Lyon just got knocked out by a Romanian side from the Europa League. All the big names leave unless they're at PSG and there are not that many big names to begin with. Results in Europe historically poor and now even worse (again, excluding PSG) and being such a low-scoring league (like, really low-scoring), it's not ideal training for PSG, hence they are not as elite as they want to be. Basically, I don't rate Ligue 1 at all.

Surprised by your Bayern pessimism, personally think they might be the favourites. No one seems capable of a repeat in the Champions League and I think Real will fail too.

• Admin

Why are away goals used as the first tiebreaker?

What else? There'd be a lot more extra times without it. It's a bit outdated since playing away is much less difficult than when the rule was conceived, but the only other solution is extra time. Or a coin toss.

What else? There'd be a lot more extra times without it. It's a bit outdated since playing away is much less difficult than when the rule was conceived, but the only other solution is extra time. Or a coin toss.

Total goals? Goal differential? Just seems like there are better options.

Lyon just got knocked out by a Romanian side from the Europa League. All the big names leave unless they're at PSG and there are not that many big names to begin with. Results in Europe historically poor and now even worse (again, excluding PSG) and being such a low-scoring league (like, really low-scoring), it's not ideal training for PSG, hence they are not as elite as they want to be. Basically, I don't rate Ligue 1 at all.

Surprised by your Bayern pessimism, personally think they might be the favourites. No one seems capable of a repeat in the Champions League and I think Real will fail too.

Yeah that seems like a fair assessment of Ligue 1. Regarding Bayern, it's more so to do with the inconsistency that Pep has brought on the squad. When Jupp was in charge it was a highly oiled machine that ran through people. With Pep he tries to change so many littles things depending on the team they face and he either looks like a genius or a big flop.

Total goals? Goal differential? Just seems like there are better options.

Well what happens when the total goals is tied?

Eliminate ties  :P

Like Victor said, these guys can't be going to extra time all the time because of their busy schedules. Keep in mind that Champions League is always in the middle of their regular schedules on the weekends.

Like Victor said, these guys can't be going to extra time all the time because of their busy schedules. Keep in mind that Champions League is always in the middle of their regular schedules on the weekends.

Yeah I know. I still find the multiple competitions during the season odd.

Even though this is essentially you conceding defeat, that still doesn't make sense. :P 1-0 and 2-1 reverse are exactly what away goal rule is for, but without draws.

I'm not arguing strongly for or against anything, was just wondering. And I added an edit.

Yeah it's one of the reasons I think these athletes are the most in shape out of any sport. You play 10.5 months of the year! If World Cup is on you play 11 months, if Euro Cup is on you play 11 months as well (if you are selected). Yes American Football players take physical punishment but their endurance is not as good as Football players. Also hockey players take physical punishment as well but they play 60 minutes (20-30 each player) which breaks on the bench. Gareth Bale came back to Real this summer and looked jacked. I'd say he could beat someone in another sport in more categories (Strength, Speed, Endurance etc) because of the amount of work they do 24/7/365

• Admin

Yeah I can't believe the NFL is like a 15? 17? game season. Including playoffs. You've got 38 matches in domestic leagues here (or round about 30-40), probably 5-6 on average in the cup (depending on how far you go and if you have two competitions like England, France, and Portugal. and if there's replays. You could probably play 15 cup matches in England.), and then whatever amount in Europe, which for finalists is 13 I think if you start in the group stage. There's more rounds in the Europa League anyway.

So yeah, they might dive, but you have to be in damn good shape to be a footballer. Oh, not to mention that's an hour and a half of running, potentially more in knockout competitions.

Wow, I haven't even mentioned international tournaments, qualification, and friendlies.

Whoever was wondering where United have the money to go for Di Maria at 59.7 million pounds, look no further than their deals with Addidas and Chevrolet, in addition to a massive increase in TV revenue from the Permier League.

Not convinced about the money, but Di Maria certainly adds much needed quality into United's lineup. United of the glory days always bolstered a fearsome attacking group and that has certainly been lacking in recent years. Di Maria helps with this certainly.

Now if only we could get healthy and start to see what Van Gaal is all about. It will take time, but I believe. BTW he is much better than Moyes.