DCD Donation Drive

fishy

Hey drafons,

During my brief time in the EFL, I played for the lovely @TacticalHammer (do you still check VHL? maybe you'll get an email. anyway, hey :)) on the DEATH VALLEY RANGERS, BEST ECFA TEAM. Though I decided that the EFL wasn't for me, I did walk away really inspired by Tac's seasonal donation based on team stats, so I've decided to mimic it with DC.

Truthfully, I've chosen a terrible time to begin this endeavor because stats for the upcoming season are greatly unpredictable. Nonetheless, I'm going to try, learn, and apply the knowledge for following seasons. This season, here's how I'll determine the amount donated (all $ amounts are in USD):

for our defenders: $0.01 for each hit, $0.01 for each shot block

for our forwards: $0.02 for each goal

minimum donation will be $15, maximum will be $30

The skater on our roster with most shots gets to choose where the donation goes. (I changed this from lowest PIM because I don't want an inactive to be chosen 😬) I haven't decided whether we'll include playoff stats if we make it. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

We'll see how this goes!

Edited by fishy

• 1 month later...

I’m really excited that I remembered this :)

Here’s a breakdown of how totals were calculated.

Dividing the stats between forwards and defenders like I’d originally planned left me with the following (this is for regular season + playoffs, not counting any bots):

Forwards    
Goals 109 $2.18

Defenders    
Shots Blocked 329 $3.29
Hits 380 $3.80

$9.27

I was a bit unsatisfied rounding $9.27 to $15, so I combined the forward + defender stats to get the following:

Goals 184 $3.68
Shots Blocked 665 $6.65
Hits 1316 $13.16

$23.49

… and that felt much better.

Taylor Mourning finished the regular season with 420 shots (nice), more than any other player even combining regular season + playoffs (yeah… all four games). That means that @scoop chose where this season’s donation went to.

scoop decided on The Trevor Project. For those of you who aren’t familiar with The Trevor Project, here’s a description:

Over the last two decades, The Trevor Project has become a world leader in LGBTQ youth suicide prevention, and is the country's only LGBTQ organization to operate—and innovate—at the intersections of LGBTQ youth mental health, suicidology, and crisis intervention. Today, we serve more than 200,000 LGBTQ youth annually through our 24/7, free, and confidential crisis services via phone, chat, and text, while our suicide prevention programs work to end suicide among LGBTQ youth by shaping a more inclusive and accepting world.

Our suicide prevention programs provide a digital community for peer support for LGBTQ youth called TrevorSpace, lead impactful advocacy efforts to protect LGBTQ youth from local and national laws that aim to harm them, offer innovative education programs to increase awareness of the support LGBTQ youth need, and conduct a research program leading the charge to provide peer-reviewed data on the experience of LGBTQ youth today.

I’m very happy that the first donation is going to this cause, especially since it’s Pride Month. With that, $23.49 have been donated (plus the processing fees):

image.png

@Dom your turn!

Edited by fishy

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, jhatty8 said:

Reminds me of Tac's Rangers Give Back. Love to see this!

On 4/16/2022 at 9:18 AM, fishy said:

I played for the lovely @TacticalHammer (do you still check VHL? maybe you'll get an email. anyway, hey :)) on the DEATH VALLEY RANGERS, BEST ECFA TEAM. Though I decided that the EFL wasn't for me, I did walk away really inspired by Tac's seasonal donation based on team stats, so I've decided to mimic it with DC.

:D I take no credit for the idea

• 1 month later...

Happy offseason!

With the closure of S84, it's time again for the season donation. This season, the player with the highest shots blocked chose the donation location–with 146 shots blocked in the regular season and 23 in the playoffs, Poopy Peepants finished S84 with 169 (nice) shots blocked. Corey Kitson followed closely behind with 167 between regular season and playoffs.

Again this season, I decided to combine forwards and defenders instead of breaking them down since I got to ~double the total when the positions are combined. See the breakdown below:

goals: 264 * 0.02 = $5.28
shots blocked: 736 * 0.01 = $7.36
hits: 1424 * 0.01 = $14.24

... for a total of $26.88!!!

@JardyB10 has decided that this season's donation will be going to the Canadian Women's Foundation. I had a little trouble with conversion rates, but I'm pleased that $26 USD / $32.33 CAD will be heading toward this organization. See below their mission & what the funds will be used for:

Diverse girls and young people ages 9-19 are struggling with emotional and physical well-being, connection, belonging, confidence, and healthy relationships. Over the last two years, the situation has become more urgent as resources for young people become scarcer through increased demand and lack of funding. Community programs funded through the Canadian Women’s Foundation provide the safe, supportive environment they need now. By supporting GOT YOUR BACK, you will help ensure that women, girls, and gender-diverse people get the programs and services they need.

A little will go a long way, and I'm looking forward to seeing how we can give back to local, state, provincial, and national communities, one small step at a time. See you next season!

22 minutes ago, fishy said:

Happy offseason!

With the closure of S84, it's time again for the season donation. This season, the player with the highest shots blocked chose the donation location–with 146 shots blocked in the regular season and 23 in the playoffs, Poopy Peepants finished S84 with 169 (nice) shots blocked. Corey Kitson followed closely behind with 167 between regular season and playoffs.

Again this season, I decided to combine forwards and defenders instead of breaking them down since I got to ~double the total when the positions are combined. See the breakdown below:

goals: 264 * 0.02 = $5.28
shots blocked: 736 * 0.01 = $7.36
hits: 1424 * 0.01 = $14.24

... for a total of $26.88!!!

@JardyB10 has decided that this season's donation will be going to the Canadian Women's Foundation. I had a little trouble with conversion rates, but I'm pleased that $26 USD / $32.33 CAD will be heading toward this organization. See below their mission & what the funds will be used for:

Diverse girls and young people ages 9-19 are struggling with emotional and physical well-being, connection, belonging, confidence, and healthy relationships. Over the last two years, the situation has become more urgent as resources for young people become scarcer through increased demand and lack of funding. Community programs funded through the Canadian Women’s Foundation provide the safe, supportive environment they need now. By supporting GOT YOUR BACK, you will help ensure that women, girls, and gender-diverse people get the programs and services they need.

A little will go a long way, and I'm looking forward to seeing how we can give back to local, state, provincial, and national communities, one small step at a time. See you next season!

A little does go a long way if everyone pitched in even a little bit, as even $1 means a lot for these charities when people band together. Fully behind the cause of the charity, so I've matched the full amount.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

we won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Season

goals 197 $3.94
shots blocked 649 $6.49
hits 1195 $11.95

$22.38
Playoffs    
goals 54 $1.08
shots blocked 210 $2.10
hits 320 $3.20

$6.38
Combined   $28.76

Ronan Lavelle finished the season with 358 hits, so @Arce got to choose where this donation went. He chose The Kids Cancer Foundation:

The Kids Cancer Foundation is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) foundation, established in 2001 by a group of doctors, nurses, parents and community leaders. Our mission is to provide hope and support to children and families battling cancer and/or blood disorders in our community. We work collaboratively with the medical team and we are able to coordinate local, state and national resources with our services to ensure the needs of our children and families are met.

Because the Dragons won this season, I rounded the total to $30. Thanks for the selection, Arce, and way to go Dragons!!!

I'm skipping this for next season since we'll (hopefully) be running the holiday charity drive!

1 minute ago, fishy said:

we won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Season

goals 197 $3.94
shots blocked 649 $6.49
hits 1195 $11.95

$22.38
Playoffs    
goals 54 $1.08
shots blocked 210 $2.10
hits 320 $3.20

$6.38
Combined   $28.76

Ronan Lavelle finished the season with 358 hits, so @Arce got to choose where this donation went. He chose The Kids Cancer Foundation:

The Kids Cancer Foundation is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) foundation, established in 2001 by a group of doctors, nurses, parents and community leaders. Our mission is to provide hope and support to children and families battling cancer and/or blood disorders in our community. We work collaboratively with the medical team and we are able to coordinate local, state and national resources with our services to ensure the needs of our children and families are met.

Because the Dragons won this season, I rounded the total to $30. Thanks for the selection, Arce, and way to go Dragons!!!

I'm skipping this for next season since we'll (hopefully) be running the holiday charity drive!

It was a pleasure to be able to choose a cause that means a lot to me personally and to many. I want to also add I will be matching the $30 donation. It’s not an an huge amount, but everything counts. Thanks for running such a fun bonus season incentive, for a great cause fishy!