Daniel Janser First Gen experience

Daniel Janser

image.thumb.png.03285e29f08225b2215ea3b3961a73a8.png

My first attempt on a signature

As many of you may already know, my brother and I are first gen players. I joined in August 2021, following a youtube advertisement on Adam Couser's channel. Since I enjoy hockey and good old fashioned pen and paper RPG's, I thought to give it a go. If I recall correctly, I probably joined at the worst possible point in time if we consider retention, as it was the playoff time. However, the league just had launched the JST (Junior Showcase Tournament) with the four original Brigade, Steel, Warriors and Royals (no Team Clue™️ or Dil's Pickles shenanigans back then) and I was immediately flooded with waiver pitches. Without previous experience I decided (as so many do) to join the first one who reached out to me. The Brigade under JB123. Somewhen during that time, my brother saw me frantically navigating on the page, and asked me what this is all about. So I explained as good as could with my then limited knowledge and he decided to give it a try as well. He first joined a different team (I cannot recall which), but luckily JB123 and whoever was on the other end (either Zetterberg, youloser1337 or Alex) agreed to let us play together in the Brigade. At the time I thought 'I cannot be bothered to write a fivehundred word article every week.' and clicked the wellfare button. Then I rediscovered my love for writing essays and Spartan was so kind to unclick the Welfare button and to allow me to claim my Media spot (not without remarking that the Welfare button is best clicked at the deadline, when one is absolutely certain that no further 6 TPE task will be produced, a sound advice I wish to pass on to any rookie). So I posted several Media spots per week for some time when I notice that actually, I could back claim them as .coms. Again, Spartan came to the rescue and allowed me to do so within certain limitations and again some sound advice to be more efficient for both my earnings as well as the updaters.

The Brigade did not win the title in the inaugural season of the JST, but the pieces I wrote, as well as my player being chosen to captain the team, drew attention and so my brother's and my player were drafted as number 40 and 36 respectively by N0HBDY for the Mississauga Hounds. The Hounds' locker room at the time was a bit desolate with mainly my brother and I being active (we had four real players iirc) and mid season both of us were traded to the Reapers, where the locker room was more vibrant. In that season my player achieved 40g/40a and again, due to my max earnings as well as my articles, which I kept improving based on the reviews I have received, my player attracted the attention of several VHLE and VHL GM's. In many mock drafts my player was predicted to go in the first round and potentially as the highest first gen. There were a lot of recreates in that draft class with Spartan, Baozi, Frosty, McWolf, Beaviss, Hylands and Hogan to name but a few.

So draft day came and I was very excited. At the end, Daniel Janser was not the highest first gen in the VHL draft (this honour went to Cadmael Ixazaluoh, Vice's player, who played with us in the Reapers) and the Wranglers picked up both Janser brothers at 8th and 28th overall. I dare say this was a steal for the Wranglers, as both player rank higher than their draft pick in the TPE race (curse you Nico Pearce).

In the VHLE draft, Marcel Janser went to Vasteras, while Daniel was drafted by Oslo (managed at the time by none other than Horcrux/Kachur). As in Daniel's VHLM season, he was traded mid season, this time to Istanbul.

Just a word of encouragement: it took me some time to land a gig as AGM/GM of a team and several failed applications until I got there. Just believe in yourself, be an active member and keep applying to jobs which you are interested in. 

Overall, my experience in the VHL is very good (otherwise I would have jumped ship a long time ago) and I take the rough with the smooth. There were few instances where I was not happy with interactions with other members of the community, but I accept this as inevitable if so many people from so many different cultures and backgrounds meet at one place. And of course it helps to be in such a terrific locker room like the Wranglers, where I felt welcome from day one and where I check in daily to see how my fellow Wranglers are doing (and to talk trash about Ricer's beloved Canucks and Phil and Leandro's Maple Leafs, of course).

So if any of the newer first gen is not yet fast asleep over my meandering, kindly note that you can always get in touch with me if you need help with any league related stuff. I am willing to help if I can and help you find help if I cannot.

live long and prosper

Edited by Daniel Janser

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yes,  but can you really trash-talk trash? Calling an apple an apple is hardly an insult. 💥

In this day and age I am genuinely not surprised if people get insulted about facts (not Leandro or you, though)