Recruitment Suggestions - Open to Everyone

Subject056

Hey VHL,

The Recruitment Team sees and hears you out there!

We wanted to make a place on the forum where all members voices can be heard. There are quite a few posts and comments out there that have some great suggestions for the Recruitment Team. 

Please feel free to use this as a place where you can send the Recruitment Team any suggestions or ideas you may have. 

Thank you for your support! 

Edited by Subject056

This is not at all my expertise, but a few people have reiterated an idea that I've also been thinking about for a while, about who specifically would be a higher conversion rate as opposed to the Youtube Be A Pro people. They're more of a spray and pray group, but who really loves what we do? I will say again I don't have any specifics, but maybe if people with some of these interests or experiences can chime in and point the team in a good direction then maybe we can get somewhere. So here's a list of communities I could imagine enjoying our product.

- people interested in Sports Journalism or Sports Management
- people interested in Creative Writing
- people interested in fanfiction (there is a significant niche that go HARD for hockey)
- people who are interested in Sports Analytics (maybe avoid betting groups? but hey who am I to say)
- people interested in Graphic Design
- people interested in Tabletop Roleplaying Games (I'm not kidding, overlap is small, but, well a decent amount of the people here)
- people interested in starting in the sports podcasting sphere

I'm sure if we can find a few Discords/Subreddits/Twitter circles/Youtube ads there could be some decent conversion there. We'd have to tailor the pitch to match their commonalities with our community but I'd love to see more people in here who enjoy the content making, and want to share their creative works with us!

I do also agree with the idea that coming up with a few easily fillable templates from some nice standardized updates on trades, standings, league leaders etc. would make for some awesome content. Maybe switch from a more regular graphics posting to maybe a "Top Graphics of the Week" post with a few of them, and keep that standard high. I know Instagram murders resolution and uses a wonky aspect ratio but maybe this can give us the opportunity to work with that better and come up with fewer posts but at a higher production level. I'm not sure what any TikTok initiatives look like but slideshows are huge on TikTok, since people take a lot of time to work through them and end up playing the sound repeatedly, increasing viewership. Maybe a couple of those a week, one with the Top Graphics, one with Standings Updates etc. Maybe even get a TikTok challenge going in here, for every x number of views you get 1 Uncapped TPE, up to 5 or something. I also like the idea of an internal recruitment drive, starting at the Trade Deadline, give a couple bonus TPE for each recruit during that week. Nothing that would cause huge inflation, but use that sense of urgency to your advantage.

I am really optimistic about your work though, and despite the numbers not immediately showing up, I am confident in the people in the team, and I think they are some of the best the VHL has to offer for the position. I don't know what kind of transparency you could provide, but as a non-transparent organization to 99% of the community, it does make Recruitment an easy target for backlash. Most people don't know what you do, and how well you do it. If there is some way to summarize that present it, (and yes we BOG need to get back to doing this too, although without being paid for it, we get a little less backlash) then perhaps the community will be less likely to be at the team's throats. This would probably require a formal leadership and dedicated archivist.

Best of luck, and hope some people bring some great constructive suggestions.

33 minutes ago, Subject056 said:

Hey VHL,

The Recruitment Team sees and hears you out there!

We wanted to make a place on the forum where all members voices can be heard. There are quite a few posts and comments out there that have some great suggestions for the Recruitment Team. 

Please feel free to use this as a place where you can send the Recruitment Team any suggestions or ideas you may have. 

Thank you for your support! 

get better ❤️

When was the last time an email campaign was sent out to old members in an attempt to bring back inactives?  I believe this is one of the things that always got me and Kelvi to check back in with the league over the years. 

Not sure how it works or the pricing of it, but ads on different platforms like IG, Facebook, or Google? Also don’t know if twitter has been used in the past but that could reach a new group of people.

• Commissioner
57 minutes ago, JartY said:

Not sure how it works or the pricing of it, but ads on different platforms like IG, Facebook, or Google

We have run them before. You can really pinpoint demographics which is nice but we spent hundreds and got exactly 0 registered members from it so it didn’t really seem worth the investment.

Somewhere in the HF Boards Fantasy Hockey Talk section, not sure where or what the rules are on advertising, but that's above my pay grade.

EHM The Blue Line forums in this section, the level of nerd overlap is fairly large proven by the amount of EHMers already here.

A new(er) advertisement on the STHS Forums in the league advertisement section would be good as well.

This site is pretty good as well, not sure if we've tried that recently. Give me evidence of moderators shutting us down or I'll keep saying it.

I think people just need more ways to find the site to begin with, passive links in forums like these are free, easy, and even if they don't serve as a recruitment drive, will bring people to the site over time.

-Having a team who are all active and involved in recruitment would be a good start! 

-Lean on what’s worked in the past such as YouTube ads, reaching out to Reddit accounts for posts, emailing out old members to return.

-Coming up with new ideas to try while still holding on to the core recruitment strategies. Then replacing those core strategies if you find something that works better.

Thank you everyone for your replies so far! Recruitment appreciates the suggestions, ideas and constructive criticism. The team will be taking everything mentioned here into account. Feel free to keep adding to this thread anytime!

Edited by Subject056

• 1 month later...