Chicago Phoenix Jersey Retirement

Chicago Phoenix Jersey Retirement

A huge day for the Chicago Phoenix organization as we're finally announcing the first ever retired number! We're very proud to raise this banner to the rafters, as Scotty Sundin, number 15 will be the first. Scotty Sundin came into the league in S83, where he was able to have 63 points in his rookie season, an impressive feat nevertheless. Throughout his career, Sundin had put up 90+ points in 4 seasons, while also putting up over 100 points in two years, including the best season of his career in his last season, S91. Sundin was able to carry a depleted Chicago team to the first round of the playoffs, putting the team on his back, scoring 49 goals and 63 assists, dropping 112 points that season. On and off the ice, Sundin was a class act for the organization and it's no surprise that he'll be the first ever retired number. Congratulations to @fromtheinside and we're very proud you'll be the first!

Scotty Sundin holds multiple records, including most Games Played, Goals, and Points in franchise history. When people think of the Chicago Phoenix, they think of Sundin and the impact he had.

Career Statistics - C - Scotty Sundin - Chicago Phoenix (All-Time)

Games Played: 707 (1st in Franchise History All-Time)

Goals: 349 (1st in Franchise History All-Time)
Assists: 440 (4th in Franchise History All-Time)

Awards: Scotty Campbell Trophy (S91), Mike Szatkowski Trophy (S91)

Again, I just want to say congratulations to @fromtheinside. When I stepped into the league as a GM, he wanted to stay and finish his career in Chicago and I'm glad he did so. An amazing player in Sundin, and an also even better member.

15_Sundin_V01.png?ex=66688278&is=666730f

oh man I was so surprised to see this!! I am so honored to be held in such regard When I made my first gen (Scotty Kaberle) I went through a lot of ups and downs, but ultimately I landed in Malmo and became part of an amazing core there, and we were lucky enough to go all the way to capture a league title. It was such a great run with top notch people, and I honestly thought that was going to be the peak for my VHL experience.

When I recreated as Scotty Sundin, I was still very driven to be a power user in the league. This was at a time that the league had just rolled out the VHLE, and I was determined I was going to get enough TPE to skip the E, and go directly to the VHL and play 9 seasons as a pro. My other goal was to be a double 1st overall player. I was lucky enough to accomplish both of those goals when @JeffD took me 1st overall in the S83 Draft.  I had a ton of respect for Jeff and I vowed to him that as long as he was running Chicago, I would stay there and play for him. He built an incredible core of young players with me, @Shindigs and @MubbleFubbles. Those two lads were both top notch individuals, and although we never went on a deep run together, I still am fond of that core Jeff had built. 

Eventually, Jeff decided to step down from Chicago. This really put me at a crossroads. Eventually it was announced that @badcolethetitan and @Masu Chan were going to take over in Chicago. Truthfully, I remember feeling a bit anxious at first because these guys were both from the newer wave of users that came after me, and I didn't know how'd they treat me or what their plans were. I distinctly remember talking to my friend @MexicanCow123 about this and he reassured me that Cole was good people, and that I would be in good hands. And honestly he couldn't have been more right. Cole immediately began DMing me and we quickly built a very good rapport with each other.  It was kind of a tricky situation because I know from a  strategic standpoint he probably wanted to trade me for some value... but I told him I really preferred to play out my time in Chicago. He honored my decision and never made me feel bad about it or anything. Him and Masu were so easy to transition to and they immediately started building a good culture in our team LR. Who could forget the late nights of claiming our waifus on Discord!! lmao

The ninth season is the one that usually gets the attention because its such an anomaly. I guess if anything Sundin can be a good case study to show that it IS indeed viable to carry out a nine season career. But I'll wrap this up and just say thank you to all my peers and anyone I've been in contact with during my time in Chicago. I got to meet some really great people during my time there and even now as someone who doesn't have an active player, Chicago is where I call my VHL home. Go Phoenix!