Out of a job

iRockstar

So, in the next 3-4 months I'll be out of a job. Target Canada has stated they will be closing their doors in all of Canada after reportedly losing over 1 billion dollars in their time open in Canada, and in all of 2013/14 alone. 

They're giving us the 3-4 months to keep our jobs, plus a severance for 16 weeks but it's still not the same. I'm just letting you all know that my time will now be severely shifted to finding a job while all of this goes down. I'll still be active as can be, so don't fear, just thought I'd share. 

I'm backroom. Just got bumped up from seasonal to permanent a week ago. Then this happens. I dunno what I'm gonna do right now, my dad wants another tech guy for his company so I might go there. It's gonna be rough for a lot of people though, not sure too many places are going to be hiring this soon after Christmas.

Was told today that everyone who was a permanent team member gets the sixteen weeks thing, so I should be guaranteed a paycheck until mid-May. Not sure when my store will be closing down, but it'll be a fun few months because the amount of fucks given is dropping rapidly.  :lol: Gonna try and get some other parts of my life back on track because my days have basically been work > play videogames > sleep > repeat since November 1st.

Was told today that everyone who was a permanent team member gets the sixteen weeks thing, so I should be guaranteed a paycheck until mid-May. Not sure when my store will be closing down, but it'll be a fun few months because the amount of fucks given is dropping rapidly.  :lol: Gonna try and get some other parts of my life back on track because my days have basically been work > play videogames > sleep > repeat since November 1st.

fucks given shudnt be dropped dats bad 

Start stealin shit out the back door IMO, target employees aint gonna care.

What if they do and he gets fired and loses his severance. 16 weeks of severance > garden hose, running shoes, shirts. 

God gorlab you and your terrible advice.

I'm surprised that Target dove right in to Canada so quickly. They opened so many stores at once without testing the waters.

It seems like in the States they are pretty good with competition and prices, but they let it down a little bit in Canada. Their prices don't really beat out anything over here.

I have only really shopped at Target for video games since it came to Canada, but whenever I did shop for other things I never really found what I was looking for. Games go on sale all the time there it seems with all the gaming accessories as well.

I guess with this major shut down, there's going to be many more sales.

Be glad you're getting a good severance. 16 weeks is pretty great compared to what many other companies give. I was working for a company once, one of the biggest parcel delivery companies in Canada, and even though I worked there for 4 years I only got a 1 week severance. Luckily with the lay off I was able to go to the company that bought it out. It never ended up working out in the end though and now the warehouse that was shut down is back up and running again.

You'll be fine with your job hunt, especially if you have 4 months to look for a job. I've known people that used their severance time to do nothing but play video games and go out and party with their "new" time off while getting paid. Don't do that. Look for a job right away, even though you're getting paid 16 weeks worth.

Edited by DollarAndADream

Start stealin shit out the back door IMO, target employees aint gonna care.

That's what happened when my work was laid off. Everybody started stealing lots of stuff. I didn't take as much as others but there were 0 fucks given as soon as the lay off was announced. It's a parcel shipping company I was working for, so they lost a lot of contracts because of that.

I'm surprised that Target dove right in to Canada so quickly. They opened so many stores at once without testing the waters.

This was definitely the biggest issue. I worked for Target in the states, and honestly they're a pretty great company down there. That said, their biggest mistake was thinking that all the Canadians that border cross to shop at their stores were doing so for the brand and not just for the savings. Because of that, they put entirely too many stores into the country immediately where at MOST they should have started with around half the stores they did, and were basically selling the exact same products as Walmart at most times higher prices. As a result, ~135 stores' worth of employees are out of jobs and iirc they operated at around a 2 billion dollar loss in the roughly year they've been open.

I'm sorry to hear you guys are losing your jobs, especially when it's because a company basically got too cocky.

What if they do and he gets fired and loses his severance. 16 weeks of severance > garden hose, running shoes, shirts. 

God gorlab you and your terrible advice.

Yeah we're still watching for idiots that are trying anything.

This was definitely the biggest issue. I worked for Target in the states, and honestly they're a pretty great company down there. That said, their biggest mistake was thinking that all the Canadians that border cross to shop at their stores were doing so for the brand and not just for the savings. Because of that, they put entirely too many stores into the country immediately where at MOST they should have started with around half the stores they did, and were basically selling the exact same products as Walmart at most times higher prices. As a result, ~135 stores' worth of employees are out of jobs and iirc they operated at around a 2 billion dollar loss in the roughly year they've been open.

I'm sorry to hear you guys are losing your jobs, especially when it's because a company basically got too cocky.

That's the thing about Target. In the States, they're like a better version of Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is pretty grubby there.

In Canada though, Wal-Mart isn't that bad and it's on-par with what Target had going for it here.

That's the thing about Target. In the States, they're like a better version of Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is pretty grubby there.

In Canada though, Wal-Mart isn't that bad and it's on-par with what Target had going for it here.

Yeah exactly. I wanted to make the comparison that Walmart here is what target is in the states, but as I've only been to a couple walmarts I wasnt sure if I've just been to decent ones or not. But exactly, the biggest thing is that there was no niche market here for them to fill like there is in the US because everything Walmart has done wrong down there they've done right up here. Edited by Caillean

Wal-Mart in Canada is much better than I expected it to be. I'm not gonna lie, the actual store part of Target Canada sucks pretty bad. Difficult to find things, even if you do it's out of stock half the time, etc. Only good thing is 99% of the people I've worked with are really chill.