How the 2nd Line Champs Were Born [Final 6/6]

eaglesfan036

How the Team of 2nd Line Champs was Born

The Season 44 Calgary Wranglers featured a hodgepodge of players of various ages and TPE groupings. The team had a few core players who were home-grown, but most of the players had only been on the team for a season or two. Today we’ll be looking at how this beautiful team was constructed, beginning with the start of my tenure in Season 42.

The Carryovers

Only one of the current Wranglers was on the team in Season 42, showing the massive transition of players that occurred. I traded away all the older players such as Brookside, and Iglina decided to retire his player. This left me with just one player, our beloved captain Marcus Hurley. Originally I was going to trade Hurley as I thought the rebuild was going to take a while, but he said he wanted to stick out the rebuild and remain a Wrangler for life. I loved that approach and he has been our beloved and loyal captain ever since.

K06zqz4.png

The Early Trades

Being a rebuilding team with tons of cap space, I was always on the lookout for any good deals that could occur due to other teams lacking cap space. I was able to strike twice in this regard during the S42 offseason, first trading a 1st and a 2nd in a weak draft for S40 defensewoman Jaime Hill. Hill has become an integral part of our team, as she is our number one shutdown defenseman, boasting 99 defense and high checking. The next trade was two 2nd round picks to Quebec in exchange for a weaker 2nd round pick and S40 left winger Rami Jakobbssen. Jakobbssen has become a key Wrangler as well, as his 530 tpe sniping build was a big part of our first line that got 82 points in 16 games playoff games.

S43 Draft

The S43 draft was the only one I ever had multiple high-value picks in. I remember sweating it out hoping Wingate would fall to 3, and he has been even better than I predicted. WinGod is the central pillar of the team, as he was voted the top goalie of S44 by VHL GMs, and will be the highest tpe goaltender by far once Waldron and Mikaelson retire after this season. With the 9th pick, I selected a great young lad in Michael Clardy. He is young and still working on his tpe, but his 257 tpe served as an excellent depth defender this past season, as he lead the team in shots blocked.

PWfzMPa.png

S43 Offseason

By S43, I figured with the solid base of S40 players I had along with Wingate developing superbly, it was time to start competing for real. In my biggest trade to date, I traded a 1st and 2nd round pick to Toronto in return for star forwards Jackson Miller (S39) and Tyler Cote (S40). These two put on a clinic in Season 44, combining for 193 points in the regular season and 58 points in the playoffs. Then to add to the fun, S41 defenseman Niklass Karlson signed with us in free agency (in a roundabout way), bringing along his 408 tpe and cup experience with Seattle. Karlsson also proved to be very valuable being the offensive complement to Jaime Hill on the first pairing.

S44 Prospects

I owned just one important pick in the S44 draft, and selected defenseman Kerkko Hyvärinen with the 2nd overall pick. Hyvarinen’s 245 tpe turned into a solid depth defenseman for us this past season, but more importantly Jason came up clutch in suggesting the new lines that rocked the playoffs (Jakobbssen – Cote – Miller). Also coming up was my player Tim TebowGow, who was a solid number 2 center whose main job was to pass it to Zoidberg.

The Rentals

Last but not least, we have the hash slinging, cash ringing, cap saving rentals. I traded CAL S46 1st for star winger Sachimo Zoidberg and depth player Teuvo Ruutu. Zoidberg was great netting 76 points as the 2nd line sniper, while Ruutu was also helpful with respectable 47 points in his limited playing time (I’m sure he scored a lot more than CAL LW1 would have though). These two players helped cap off the roster, and gave us the depth to defeat the Quebec and Cologne.

RentalCarSign2.JPG

Content: 3/3 - Good write-up. More fitting that I graded it, being one of the guys you took out. :P

Grammar: 2/2 - Not enough to deduct. Just little things, anyways. Your own player's names being a big one! Damn typos, amirite?

"Iglina " - Iginla

"just one player, our beloved captain Marcus Hurley." - just one player: our beloved captain....

"Rami Jakobbssen" - Jakobssen. Can't even spell your own player's name right. smh

"Niklass Karlson " - Karlsson (see above comment for smartass remark)

Appearance: 1/1 - Is good.

Overall: 6/6