The 'return' key

Will

The 'return' key debacle of 2015   

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Senior Admin

Greetings, 

I come to you tonight in need of guidance. We're about install an update to the forum - now, don't panic, it's not a big one like last time. Just a few patches and a couple of new features, you know?

It's actually a much needed update though because there are number of bugs in the admin panel that get on my nerves. For example, group settings seem to get spontaneously fucked (which many of you are aware of) sometimes and that is quite annoying because I have to reset them and shit. Oh, and it also says it improves the editor (the posting textbox) a great deal - that ones for @gorlab.

Anyways, another feature it adds is the option to make the 'enter' or 'return key' act as a line break (1-line) instead of a paragraph break (2-line). It used to be 1-line before we did the big upgrade, and indeed it took me some time to get used to this fancy 2-line shit. However, I am used to it now and it doesn't really bother me - does this make the option obsolete? Hell if I know. 

So tell me, does the 'return' key giving you 2 spaces cause you any otherwise avoidable frustration? Does it keep you up at night? Vote in my damn poll and tell me your best 'return' key story. 

Meh, honestly I've also gotten used to the 2-space thing. It's all professional and shit. I wouldn't change it if it took any sort of significant effort.

However, if it's easy as cheesy, we may as well switch it back to the tried and true single return. Odds are it will turn every post-upgrade post into a wall of text, but I can live with that.

• Commissioner

2 spaces has been fucking me up since we changed it. I got very comfortable with smacking return twice to great paragraphs long before you were even here. I demand 1 space back!

Since we've had the 2 spaces, it has just become the norm to have to screw around in the update thread or grading log while I type things.

For example, since the new website, if I post a link, it'll automatically hyperlink it. When you do the single space in this new forum though, the hyper link carries over to the next line. So in order to avoid that, I have to double space, go back, single space, go back(because it makes you go back twice for some reason before it works), then finally single space again.

I don't know, just a pain in ass. I hate this shift key to single space crap.

• 2 weeks later...