Health and Fitness - Motivational Thread

Advantage

11 hours ago, Phil said:

Chest  Tris, and Calves Days!! 

Doing Drop-Sets on all the sets of each exercises. Ima go die

I don't know if you've done so earlier in this thread, but would you be able to post your "workout plan" some time when you have a chance? I feel like doing what Phil does could really step my game up. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it for the first time in a while.  Did a T25 Cardio workout and I struggled but got through it.

I've gained eight pounds since making this thread..although being back at home should aid me in eating healthy since my mother cooks.  Other things that have happened since originally opening this thread...the "supportive girlfriend" I had at the time, dumped me about ten days later.  I am now with someone else who struggles with similar issues but has been making steps in her life to improve her health.  I feel we can rely on each other which is something new and admittedly a little different.  I still don't drink at all (haven't even touched the stuff since Christmas).  Other than the odd cigar I don't really smoke at all either.  My goal is still to get to 250 by the end of next school year.  That is of course a lot of weight to lose in about a year (130 lbs) and I won't be discouraged if those results are not met..but I am also not changing my goal.

Been thinking about doing Paleo for a bit just to cut a few things I really eat too much of (bread, cheese, etc.)

Anyone been successful in doing anything similar? I find cutting down to meat, veggies, fruit, fish, nuts not to extreme but it might help me focus away from the two mentioned above and things like pop and juice.

Edited by Advantage

Iam not sure if I posted this, I may have just in my lr. But one of the real reasons why I started working out/running was bc I was in a relationship/going into one (idk really when I started but it was for a girl) and because I was inspired by a youtuber (Casey Neistat, if you dont know who he is watch him, his content is incredible) and when we broke up I went super hard bc for whatever reason. Anyways I dont have any goals, I really dont have motivation, I just do it.

I literally just got back from a run and showered and hoped on here. I did 8.6km in 45~ minutes, thats a new record and every time I run I beat my previous distance. I also stop somewhere and do like 45-60 pushups and usually 15-20 pullups in sets. Also adding to my cardio I can do about 20k on my mountain bike in like an hour np.

I find cardio much more rewarding because I am going somewhere and doing something rather then just sitting/standing in a stationary spot lifting weights.

I fucked my knee up when I was wasted last week which has left me out of the gym for nine days. I'm finally back to normal again now so I'm going for my first sesh back tomorrow but it gives me a good excuse to skip a week of training legs

475 deadlift today, new post-injury 1rm and 10lbs under my all-time PR (although i'm 10 lbs heavier now so its not really the same)

• 2 weeks later...

Still managing to get to the gym 4-5 times a week! Shoulders, Traps, Calves today. Starting a fresh microcycle phase so I'm back to 12-15 rep range for each exercise, except calves, which will be in the 25-30 rep range, and calves and abs seem to respond better to higher reps for gains in size. 

Tbh Im still a skinny fucker - 176.6lbs today on the scale. 

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Still managing to get to the gym 4-5 times a week! Shoulders, Traps, Calves today. Starting a fresh microcycle phase so I'm back to 12-15 rep range for each exercise, except calves, which will be in the 25-30 rep range, and calves and abs seem to respond better to higher reps for gains in size. 

Tbh Im still a skinny fucker - 176.6lbs today on the scale. 

I weigh the same but I think you're much taller :lol: 

1 minute ago, der meister said:

I weigh the same but I think you're much taller :lol: 

I'm 6' 5"

LOL okay.. I can't even tell that lie over the internet...

I'm about 6'feet... probably just under tbh

Edited by Phil

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm 6' 5"

LOL okay.. I can't even tell that lie over the internet...

I'm about 6'feet... probably just under tbh

I'm 5'10", so yeah. Slightly taller. I need to work on my gut, though. My guns are solid if unimpressive, but the belly needs a trim. So does my goatee, but eff that noise. I'm gonna braid that shit. 

I read an article about some aborigine tribes that were traditional hunter/gather.  The article states that even though they burned way more looking for food the daily burn was still in the 2000-2500 range for men.  The article suggests that the reason for this is during their down time their bodies use less energy to compensate.  Basically humans no matter what burn approximately the same amount within certain standard deviations.  Working out like crazy sure can make you healthier than someone who sits around all day and the overall appearance would be better.  That isn't the way to lose weight though there was only a 10-30% increase in calories burned so even if the treadmill says you burned 1000 calories during a run your body probably conserved as you sat dead on the couch afterward.  10% on 2000 is say 200 calories actually burned above normal when you see 1000 on the workout machine.

The real way to lose weight and keep it off is 100% basically how you eat and not the working out part.  Sure muscles burn more calories than fat and you are healthier if you workout but you can't achieve long term success by working out and still eating fast food every day.  I can't follow it myself I eat pizza 2-3 times a week it seems like but basically you have to eat veggies and healthy food or it wont matter.  Some of the super hero actors/actresses (not those who bulk up like 4500 meat diets) do a 80% uncooked veggie diet and 20% eat what you want sort of thing.  So get to 1700 or so calories on raw carrots, celery, broccoli, whatever (can mix in lean protein, egg, brown rice, etc in this part), and 500 calories of what ever you want in a day.  If its unhealthy you really limit yourself to a serving of doritos and a slice of pizza.  If you think about that in the grand scheme when you probably normally eat 3-4-5 slices of pizza at one sitting then it makes sense you'd lose weight that route.

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

The real way to lose weight and keep it off is 100% basically how you eat and not the working out part.  

the tl'dr version... and I've mentioned it many times in the thread! :)

But ofc, if you want to gain muscle mass for aesthetics, then you have to put in work haha 

And let's be clear that losing weight and being healthy are not inclusive. Sure you can eat as health as the healthiest eating man alive but if you are completely sedentary, your heart and blood flow will be poor, as well as some levels of hormones , which will lead to complications later in life. 

It's all about a BALANCED LIFESTYLE. Which should be on everyone's agenda. :drunk: 

I'm up to 207 lbs, but luckily thats a good thing. I go to the gym 3 times a week usually and have been for the past 3-4 years. I have an easier time with the nutrition part of things because I don't drink alcohol or carbonated pop. The key is that I wake up feeling good and that usually is a recipe for a productive day. Gotta look up!

• 2 weeks later...