Keep 6 Players

Pavel_Ovechkin

52 minutes ago, Dewie said:

when canucks dump prust, hammer, vrby etc. and go get som impact players in FA in the next 2 off-seasons with good drafting they will have the perfect mix of young n old. just watch. the sedins will be leading the charge.

Man, no big free agents are coming to Vancouver any time soon. Shipping Garrison and Bieksa out rather unceremoniously, waiving Higgins... Veteran players are not going to look kindly on that. There was a reason Gillis implemented all the amenities he did in the organization, and structured contracts the way he did. He wanted Vancouver to be a destination, and it isn't anymore. They're starting to assemble a new core, and they need to continue to solidify that through the draft and their massively improved farm system.

Anyways:

NHL: Horvat, Baertschi, McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, Tanev

Prospects: Boeser, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Demko

I contemplated dropping Baertschi in order to keep Markstrom, but I'm really fond of Baer and Demko is in the pipeline so... Yeah. And I love the Sedins, but you gotta protect the team's future. That's my list for the Canucks.

5 hours ago, StevenStamkos91 said:

You guys are acting like the Sedins aren't good players anymore. Talking about them having little to no trade value. They aren't supposed to have any trade value because they aren't going anywhere. That's the thing thats wrong with sports today. No one has sentimental value towards players anymore. I for one do not want the Sedins to retire in any other jersey than a Canucks jersey. Markus Naslund retired in NYR and it was wrong. Martin Brodeur retired in STL and that was wrong. 

For the record, they are also leading the canucks in points this year. Daniel has 21 goals and 22 assists for 43 points. Henrik has 9 goals and 28 assists for 37 points. Who else from the canucks would you choose? Sven Baertschi who has 17 points this year and that seems to be a career high? Last year guess who led them in points again? Daniel with 20 goals and 56 assists for 76 points and Henrik with 18 goals and 55 assists for 73 points. Next leading scorer was Radim Vrbata who is all but gone this year. after him? Nick Bonino who was traded. Point being even if I weren't to pick them who else would i pick? 

Shawn, what was the OP's purpose intros discussion? It was to build for the future if starting over had to occur. Keeping the Sedins makes little to no sense considering in 2-3 seasons they will be sitting in a suite watching games and waiting for their #'s to be lifted into the rafters. No one is saying they suck, they clearly have shown that they are going at a .8-1.0 PPG pace this year and thats a solid output for their age. But relative to the topic at hand, they would be a very weak pick to keep. They hold no value considering you just say they wouldn't go anywhere. If they aren't going anywhere than they are on the roster for 2-3 seasons and then what...you could've chose 2 players that are younger.

Okay and if you say "well the knowledge they give youngsters would be beneficial", you are right it would. Guess what though? So would the knowledge given from various other veterans that I wouldn't be picking to stay on my team. Sweet, they lead a very mediocre lineup in scoring this year. Who else would you pick? Someone that you could at least gain value from through trade. It's like if I was to have to protect two players for the Lakers, I wouldn't choose Kobe because as a business it makes little sense as he is retiring.

3 hours ago, Sandro said:

Man, no big free agents are coming to Vancouver any time soon. Shipping Garrison and Bieksa out rather unceremoniously, waiving Higgins... Veteran players are not going to look kindly on that. There was a reason Gillis implemented all the amenities he did in the organization, and structured contracts the way he did. He wanted Vancouver to be a destination, and it isn't anymore. They're starting to assemble a new core, and they need to continue to solidify that through the draft and their massively improved farm system.

Anyways:

NHL: Horvat, Baertschi, McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, Tanev

Prospects: Boeser, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Demko

I contemplated dropping Baertschi in order to keep Markstrom, but I'm really fond of Baer and Demko is in the pipeline so... Yeah. And I love the Sedins, but you gotta protect the team's future. That's my list for the Canucks.

0% chance you keep baer before the last 10 games.c'mom now.

22 hours ago, Dewie said:

0% chance you keep baer before the last 10 games.c'mom now.

Not sure I agree with that, but it wouldn't have been as easy a decision. Baertschi has played very well most of the season, it just wasn't until the injuries that they left him with the same linemates for more than a game and a half. Once he got some consistency in his linemates and ice time, it started to come together.