Remove 2 TPE per week review limit

From what I can remember from my first go round as a grader (when Victor was the head grader) even then it was claim up to 2 TPE and anything else you grade for the week goes in the bank. I believe that's just how it was for jobs, they give you up to 2 capped in a week unless explicitly stated otherwise.

16 minutes ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

It's been said a few times that apparently all jobs were 2 tpe.

And I'm saying that's not always been the case, since I know I claimed 3 or 4 TPE a week from grading at some point. Although that was in a different time when grading was much more essential than reviewing is now.

2 minutes ago, flyersfan1493 said:

And I'm saying that's not always been the case, since I know I claimed 3 or 4 TPE a week from grading at some point. Although that was in a different time when grading was much more essential than reviewing is now.

I've never seen a rule stating one way or the other actually. 

2 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

.I'm most of the time I'm the only one to review the Podcasts. Phil has definitely helped time and time again with that as well.

tbh if you really want me to, I can just write Feedback before I comment on any of @der meister's podcasts and you can use that. I listen to most of them anyway haha. 

6 hours ago, Phil said:

tbh if you really want me to, I can just write Feedback before I comment on any of @der meister's podcasts and you can use that. I listen to most of them anyway haha. 

You might as well, actually. I still usually go in and listen to them eventually, but if you could just put the feedback thing there that would be cool. ;)

• Commissioner
9 hours ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

Just read through the rules and every job posting for a grader and didn't see a cap mentioned at all. 

This says 1-3 depending on quantity...

http://www.vhlforum.com/index.php?/topic/11147-graders-wanted/

This is part of what I'm trying to figure out, when did this come into play?

I was never upset at Kendrick for enforcing the rules, that's fine and is his job, but when did this rule show up and why? It definitely hasn't always been the case hat you could only claim 2 per week. I k ow I used to claim 3-4 if I could get a lot done and it was fine. Why is it suddenly not?

Like I said, putting a limit on it just kills any incentive to do more than what's required for 2 TPE because the points will go nowhere unless I choose not to do my job.

@Kendrickas I said, I'm not upset at you for enforcing the rules but I am curious if you might be able to pinpoint the time when it went into place. Graders, both head and non, have clearly changed since then but you've remained stable so there must be some point that you were told to start enforcing this.

IMO the best way to do this is to make it so job claim can be up to 3 per week, make the grading standard harder than just 8 reviews for 2 TPE (for gfx guys, anyway; in media I'd say that number's fine) and allow PT Staff that go over the limit to continue to bank whatever extra points they don't claim for later use. It may not be the most incentive to go above and beyond, but you never know when it'd be helpful to have that reserve, if there's a week where you can't grade/don't grade enough to get full TPE or if you need to claim welfare at the last second or whatever. It'd help to have some TPE in the bank and be able to claim up to 3 from your previous hard work to offset a week where you can't be as active as you want.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, .sniffuM said:

IMO the best way to do this is to make it so job claim can be up to 3 per week, make the grading standard harder than just 8 reviews for 2 TPE (for gfx guys, anyway; in media I'd say that number's fine) and allow PT Staff that go over the limit to continue to bank whatever extra points they don't claim for later use. It may not be the most incentive to go above and beyond, but you never know when it'd be helpful to have that reserve, if there's a week where you can't grade/don't grade enough to get full TPE or if you need to claim welfare at the last second or whatever. It'd help to have some TPE in the bank and be able to claim up to 3 from your previous hard work to offset a week where you can't be as active as you want.

That would at least be more reasonable. 3 would at least allow PT Staff to hit the cap with a PT and their job rather than requiring something else on the side like VHL this week or an article.

• Commissioner
3 hours ago, frescoelmo said:

If we're trying to make this league more active,  I don't see why you wouldn't go back to the old grading template/rules.

How would making people wait for grades make things more active? I think we have found that people are more likely to do PT's when they have a guarantee of points.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Victor said:

It was more active with old grading rules tho...

Gotta love the anti-vaxxer view of cause and effect relationships haha

• Head Moderator
24 minutes ago, Beketov said:

How would making people wait for grades make things more active? I think we have found that people are more likely to do PT's when they have a guarantee of points.

I think people who invest more time in actually reading and grading point tasks as opposed to 'reviewing' them are more likely to immerse themselves into the league, mainly because they understand it better.  Sure, I can 'review' things pretty quickly and can guess with fairly good accuracy what they should get as a grade.  But reading it, providing a detailed response (mind you, assisting those who aren't as good at writing with suggestions on how to improve) and actually giving a damn (no offense current graders) is very different, in my opinion.  You can apply this in many different situations and it would be accurate.

2 minutes ago, Victor said:

It was more active with old grading rules tho...

Which I fully support.

• Commissioner
Just now, frescoelmo said:

I think people who invest more time in actually reading and grading point tasks as opposed to 'reviewing' them are more likely to immerse themselves into the league, mainly because they understand it better.  Sure, I can 'review' things pretty quickly and can guess with fairly good accuracy what they should get as a grade.  But reading it, providing a detailed response (mind you, assisting those who aren't as good at writing with suggestions on how to improve) and actually giving a damn (no offense current graders) is very different, in my opinion.  You can apply this in many different situations and it would be accurate.

Which I fully support.

I'm not sure who on the PT staff isn't doing what you just described?

Honestly, most if not all of us review things in the exact same way that we graded them, just without the number. I can't speak for the MS side but I know the "Look" category in GFX was the only one that ever got more than 5 words anyway so reviewing is really the exact same thing without adding "I can see the effort here" for effort and "yup" for creativity as most people did.

Honestly because I save time not having to copy and template in, decide a specific score for each section, and do the math (not that it was hard) I find I can give better reviews than I did with grades because I'm solely focuses on the piece at hand rather than the grading template and being worried if my grade is deemed fair; both on its own and in relation to other grades.

• Head Moderator
6 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Honestly, most if not all of us review things in the exact same way that we graded them, just without the number. I can't speak for the MS side but I know the "Look" category in GFX was the only one that ever got more than 5 words anyway so reviewing is really the exact same thing without adding "I can see the effort here" for effort and "yup" for creativity as most people did.

Honestly because I save time not having to copy and template in, decide a specific score for each section, and do the math (not that it was hard) I find I can give better reviews than I did with grades because I'm solely focuses on the piece at hand rather than the grading template and being worried if my grade is deemed fair; both on its own and in relation to other grades.

If everyone is doing exactly what you are doing, then why does it take weeks to get grades now in this improved system?

• Commissioner
Just now, frescoelmo said:

If everyone is doing exactly what you are doing, then why does it take weeks to get grades now in this improved system?

People aren't active and grading, I know GFX just opened up for more graders. The system has nothing to do with it, if people aren't reviewing it won't get done regardless of the system. Not to point fingers but I think on the GFX side @701 and I are the only ones to have graded anything this season.

Part of the reason I brought this up. Offers incentive aside from just banked points which usually end up just being used on weeks where nothing gets done. For example, I have 3 weeks worth of grades banked. How fast would things get reviewed if I just used those banked for my TPE for 3 straight weeks? Some people have way more banked than me so incentivizing them to not work doesn't help much.

• Head Moderator
24 minutes ago, Beketov said:

6 minutes ago, Beketov said:

The system has nothing to do with it, if people aren't reviewing it won't get done regardless of the system. Not to point fingers but I think on the GFX side @701 and I are the only ones to have graded anything this season.

I mean those arguments kind of sound backwards but I get your point.  Which is why the old system was fine... simply put, you needed to do more work to get more points.

• Senior Admin
On June 21, 2016 at 0:02 AM, flyersfan1493 said:

Yeah it wasn't around when I was HG or when you were HG, and i've never heard of it until now. I feel like something the updaters made up lol