2016-2017 NHL Discussion

Kendrick

2 hours ago, boubabi said:

Quintal explained it all. Theres an infinite amount of those wack in a game, just with a different result. The gloves are weak for protection and eum, you cant suspend someone for that. It needs to be premeditated and like a 2 handed shot

I disagree. While sort of, since I do agree that you do see your fair share of that type of whacks in a game, and yes the finger protection isn't great. But Crosby did two hand him, and if you look at the whole play it wasn't really necessary for him to even slash his stick like that. He wasn't going for a stick lift and slashed in that motion. He literally two handed swung at the top of his shaft, and while it did slide and hit his finger...shouldn't the onus be on Crosby to manage his stick? That was obviously a penalty, and I because the injury was worse and Crosby wasn't paying attention to his stick I'd argue that is a game misconduct penalty. 

I realize some people hate how injuries somehow make penalties "worse" or more punishable, but part of that is about enforcing on behalf of the players. If the league wants to limit the amount of cheap shots and revenge attacks then they have to take a harsher stance when injuries are concerned, especially on plays where there should of been an in game penalty in the first place. Otherwise people are just going to go after each others stars, and I bet you as @Kendrick mentioned that Crosby is going to be a bigger target now not just against Ottawa but other teams as well. 

1 hour ago, Devise said:

I disagree. While sort of, since I do agree that you do see your fair share of that type of whacks in a game, and yes the finger protection isn't great. But Crosby did two hand him, and if you look at the whole play it wasn't really necessary for him to even slash his stick like that. He wasn't going for a stick lift and slashed in that motion. He literally two handed swung at the top of his shaft, and while it did slide and hit his finger...shouldn't the onus be on Crosby to manage his stick? That was obviously a penalty, and I because the injury was worse and Crosby wasn't paying attention to his stick I'd argue that is a game misconduct penalty. 

I realize some people hate how injuries somehow make penalties "worse" or more punishable, but part of that is about enforcing on behalf of the players. If the league wants to limit the amount of cheap shots and revenge attacks then they have to take a harsher stance when injuries are concerned, especially on plays where there should of been an in game penalty in the first place. Otherwise people are just going to go after each others stars, and I bet you as @Kendrick mentioned that Crosby is going to be a bigger target now not just against Ottawa but other teams as well. 

To add to that, if the league can't go back and review things to ensure proper punishment is served for all things (not just hits to the head) then really, what exactly are they doing? I get they want to be as proactive as possible, but if they cant even be reactive whats the point.

Wowowoww.

Time until players start getting suspended for refusing to listen to the NHL in regards to not participating in the Olympics? Especially a lot of foreigners. They also pretty much kill interest in the Olympics from a fan perspective, because why watch a bunch of non NHLers play when half of the ice hockey Olympics is NHL players, if not more. Meaningless winter Olympics next year from that perspective....

I still say players try to go. So man players talk about how meaningful the Olympics are to them, and either they have been blowing smoke up our asses all this time, or we will see plenty of players say screw you to this. 

4 minutes ago, Devise said:

Wowowoww.

Time until players start getting suspended for refusing to listen to the NHL in regards to not participating in the Olympics? Especially a lot of foreigners. They also pretty much kill interest in the Olympics from a fan perspective, because why watch a bunch of non NHLers play when half of the ice hockey Olympics is NHL players, if not more. Meaningless winter Olympics next year from that perspective....

I still say players try to go. So man players talk about how meaningful the Olympics are to them, and either they have been blowing smoke up our asses all this time, or we will see plenty of players say screw you to this. 

The NHL can't suspend players for breach of contract, only the team can. Will most likely come down to a team by team basis, which is just as dumb.

Not that the IOC is blameless in this, but if I'm them, I'm telling the NHL that they won't accept NHL players for the 2022 games in Bejing (which it's assumed the NHL actually wants to go to to try and tap an untapped market) unless they allow the players to go to the 2018 games.

Just now, Fire Hakstol said:

The NHL can't suspend players for breach of contract, only the team can. Will most likely come down to a team by team basis, which is just as dumb.

Not that the IOC is blameless in this, but if I'm them, I'm telling the NHL that they won't accept NHL players for the 2022 games in Bejing (which it's assumed the NHL actually wants to go to to try and tap an untapped market) unless they allow the players to go to the 2018 games.

They did that and the NHL said screw you. It's all together a silly fucking thing though. How many pending UFA or RFA decide to say screw this and play in Europe or Russia for a season just so they can go to the Olympics? Your right the IOC isn't blameless, but the reality is the owners are petty for making this about money. They are already loaded in a lot of cases, and almost every single owner in the league is operating on the back of tax payer dollars, used to fund arena reconstructions. People PAY the owners for NHL franchises, and I kind of feel it's always been part of the bargain that we also pay to see the best of the best compete in the most important world tournament held, which is only held every bloody four years. It's not that much of an ask on the owners covering insurance and the like. 

Toronto really left it until late to make the playoffs. Down in the game late, tie it, win it. Good on them for making the playoffs. Austin Matthews is a beauty. They have a great, young team there.

5 Canadian teams in the playoffs. It's going to be fun.

22 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Toronto really left it until late to make the playoffs. Down in the game late, tie it, win it. Good on them for making the playoffs. Austin Matthews is a beauty. They have a great, young team there.

5 Canadian teams in the playoffs. It's going to be fun.

Toronto 'bout to be swept tho :lol:

2 minutes ago, Devise said:

It's the Caps, I hope that would be the case but with them in the playoffs nothing is ever certain.

Isn't it Caps vs Bruins right now? Best out of division winners vs Wild Card 2, then the other division winner vs Wild Card 1?  Then 2nd and 3rd in each division face each other? Or something like that.

Toronto would be facing Ottawa.

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

Isn't it Caps vs Bruins right now? Best out of division winners vs Wild Card 2, then the other division winner vs Wild Card 1?  Then 2nd and 3rd in each division face each other? Or something like that.

Toronto would be facing Ottawa.

Leafs are tied with the Bruins, but the Bruins own the tiebreaker. Leafs have to get a point out of Columbus tomorrow night, or they play the Caps. 

1 minute ago, Devise said:

Leafs are tied with the Bruins, but the Bruins own the tiebreaker. Leafs have to get a point out of Columbus tomorrow night, or they play the Caps. 

True that. NHL.com's standings only say Boston is Wild Card 2 because they have more games played.

Should be a good game against Columbus tomorrow since Toronto wouldn't want to play Washington in Round 1.

• Higgins unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2016-12-11 at 1:37 PM, Smarch said:

What he did after was being a coward, man up don't go run and hide behind your goalie, but doesn't really matter as Montreal will get destroyed by a more physical and talented team

Cough cough cough