Claimed:Predicting where the Big 4 go [Reviewed]

With the draft lottery actually being done finally (thank @Higgins) we can finally start really speculating about who will be drafted where and why. Without further adieu, here is where I think the top four of Diana Maxwell, Theo Axelsson, Essian Ravenwing and Asher Donovan will go.

Top3-2009-IMSOHockey-Flickr-770x470.jpg

1st Overall: Stockholm Vikings select RW Diana Maxwell (271 TPE, 96 banked)

Diana Maxwell is the most VHL ready prospect in the draft in my eyes. She can easily step in next season and improve the roster, which is what the Vikings desperately need. They also need someone to come in a become a new franchise player much like Lord Karnage was for the Vikings during his 7 1/2 seasons here in Stockholm. Maxwell is a dynamic scorer as well as a very fine skater. Her defense my need a bit of work but after being drafted, I'm sure that would be the first thing that gets improved over the off-season. Overall, Maxwell makes the most sense for Stockholm being the most VHL ready, and can instantly replace Karnage. Diana finished the regular season with 64 goals and 55 assists for 119 points, she currently has 4 goals in 4 games in the playoffs.

2nd Overall: Calgary Wranglers select RW Theo Axelsson (257 TPE, 82 banked)

After looking at the roster, the Wranglers could use a lot of help. They however don't need a center which rules out Essian Ravenwing, because of Travis Gowecny so they would need a winger to play with him right away which also rules out Asher Donovan. Which leaves us with Theo Axelsson. Theo is a good all around player. Skating, Scoring, Defense, Puck-Handling and Checking are all good, arguably though he's not strong and we don't know if that would hold him back at the VHL level. It seems to be working at the VHLM level as he scored 65 goals and had 64 assists for 129 points. He also has 4 goals and 3 assists for 7 points in 4 playoff games. 

3rd Overall: Stockholm Vikings select C Essian Ravenwing (186 TPE, 11 banked)

The Vikings could potentially win what seems to be a very top heavy draft. They get a franchise winger to replace Karnage and they get to draft their number 1 center at 3rd overall with Ravenwing. With no centers in the pipeline, it only makes sense to grab Essian here. Essian, Diana, Jack Kraken and AVBIV are solid building blocks for the future. Essian is a prototypical center with sublime passing skills and is a silky smooth skater. However, Essian may need to work on faceoffs a bit more as it is not VHL level. In the VHLM, Ravenwing has scored 21 goals and assisted on 74 goals for 95 points. In 4 playoff games, Essian has 3 assists. 

4th Overall: Helsinki Titans select LW Asher Donovan (160 TPE)

Donovan brings up the rear at 4th overall but that is not to say he will be the worst of these 4 players. He may very well be the best, it's just that he isn't as good as the other right now at the time of the draft. In the near future we could be looking back and saying stuff like Donovan should have went higher. The Titans should be ecstatic that Asher is still here because he has unlimited potential. The question is though is could he play in the VHL right away next year? The Titans have Thor Odinsson coming through the ranks so I wouldn't imagine they want to rush Asher, but after leading the VHLM in scoring, I don't think he would want to go back down as he has nothing to prove. Only way he goes back down is if his team doesn't win the VHLM Championship. Asher is pretty well rounded much like Axelsson. Only things that could be better are passing and skating which are not VHL ready. This year in the VHLM, Asher scored 67 goals and assisted on 77 for 144 points. In 10 playoff games, Asher has scored 15 goals and assisted on 11 goals for 26 points. 

Review:

I could have sworn I reviewed this already but apparently not. Nice article. I didn't see any grammar or spelling issues that I recall. I would almost guarantee you're wrong on every pick, but that's just the nature of the game. That's all I got. Keep up with the writing I guess.

• evrydayimbyfuglien changed the title to Predicting where the Big 4 go [Reviewed]
  • 2 weeks later...