2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

I'm not arguing about the context at all. Obviously this is a smart move for the Isles with what you just said. I just don't think the difference in talent is as much as Seth thinks it is.

Eh I'd argue it's a big enough difference to talk about. Nabokov isn't the same player he was many seasons ago. The current play of Nabokov is not as consistent or reliable or quite frankly not as good as Halak. I've seen Halak play in Washington, St Louis, and Montreal. Other than the occasional off game the majority of the time when his team has lost it's been the fault of the team, not him. That is not something you can say for Nabby lately. 

Eh I'd argue it's a big enough difference to talk about. Nabokov isn't the same player he was many seasons ago. The current play of Nabokov is not as consistent or reliable or quite frankly not as good as Halak. I've seen Halak play in Washington, St Louis, and Montreal. Other than the occasional off game the majority of the time when his team has lost it's been the fault of the team, not him. That is not something you can say for Nabby lately. 

Again, not talking about this past season either. More so the past 2 or 3 seasons when the Isles were competitive. 

Back during the whole Bryz debacle, I wanted a Nabokov/Bobrovsky tandem, but obviously that never happened.

When you look at what they paid to get Halak, financially and transaction based, they have filled a vacant hole in their roster with a capable goalie. The deal will only get better as the team gets older and more experienced..... and when they get bought out, Charlie Wang gets fired, Garth Snow gets fired, an actual General Manager comes in, and they stop selling lottery draft picks for doughnuts.

Edited by redoaknebraska

• 3 weeks later...

I feel bad for him because he only got draft so high because he was French. Poor kid was put in a high pressure situation and was setup for failure to begin with. He aint no Patrick White but I think he still has a chance to at least play.

I feel bad for him because he only got draft so high because he was French. Poor kid was put in a high pressure situation and was setup for failure to begin with. He aint no Patrick White but I think he still has a chance to at least play.

not true at all. He was ranked top 20 by everyone.

Nah man Patty White got us two years of Ehrhoff, dude was bawse.

For ya'll Vancouver people

There is gonna be a charity hockey game at the PNE on July 25th. Some of the players that will be there are Ryan Johansen, Brendan Gallagher, Mike Santorelli and Alex Edler to name a few. You would all have my deepest gratitude if you could help spread the word! 

http://charityhockeygame.com/index.html

(Sorry for advertising!!!!)

Hartnell traded to Columbus for Umberger. On first look, bad move by the Flyers. Umberger has been nothing short of a disappointment his whole career. Injury riddled and hasn't really ever fully developed.

Hartnell is on the decline and they save a bunch of money.  Lecavlier will be next.

They save a bunch of money? 200k is not all that much when it comes to the NHL salary cap.

got a draft ipck out of it too.  Umberger will do a little less than Hartnell but I don't see it as too bad of a trade.  Umberger did OK when he was in Philly, and he'll get less penalties.

Hartnell is also signed until 2019 compared to Umberger who is 2017.

Yes but length of the contract doesn't matter in this trade as much. Both are 32 years old and Umberger actually makes only 150k less than Hartnell and also has only 92 points in the past 2 ½ seasons. Hartnell is a better player, even if he is declining, so is Umberger and he is doing it as a lower level to start with.

It's not a horrible deal actually. Bonino is a good player for who is a heart and soul guy with upside. Sbisa is a shutdown guy with still some upside. The 1st round pick though, depends who they have their eyes on.

Bonino had a ridiculously high shooting % and bad possession numbers, he will fall back to earth.

The 24th overall pick in a shallow draft is bad. I could live with it all if we got 10th.

Sbisa is bad. Ballard 2.0.

Garrison for a 2nd is a weird deal but it clears cap space and opens up a spot for Corrado.

I just hope to God they aren't clearing space to sign Miller. Lack will be better than him by the end of the season.

Edited by Sandro

Both deals have me going what the shit. Garrison deal is ok cap and clears spot for Sbisa and Corrado. Bonino is ok he'll be a solid 3rd or 2nd liner once the dust settles and we get more players. Apparently Kesler only gave 2 teams so what Benning had to work with this is ok I guess. Looks like they're blowing up the team to an extent though. Also seeing Kesler go hurts :(