2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

lol i kid Sandro!

I know, it's one of my many running gags on this forum. -_-

Still, it was fucking bizarre. I didn't even realize until 30 seconds after I hung up who I just talked to.

Guest Svoboda_3

Jake Virtanen undergoes shoulder surgery, out 4-6 months.

Edited by Svoboda_3

LMAO, no he is not.

Even if he is, Nabokov is what 42 years old? Halak is a tad younger to help the Isles.

Also, not sure Tyler is just in that mood because Carey is injured or not, but Halak is not as bad as the Montreal people/media would paint him as.

Halak is bad man, he got replaced three times in St Louis

Define "bad." St Louis replaced Halak because they wanted more than a capable NHL starter who can sometimes be on at the right time and steal you some playoff games. They wanted a goalie who is elite and can steal playoff series. They thought they were going to get that from Miller and didn't.

Halak = Jimmy Howard. He's a capable NHL starter...he's decently consistent and he'll bring stability to the Islanders in goal which is something they haven't had in forever. 

Define "bad." St Louis replaced Halak because they wanted more than a capable NHL starter who can sometimes be on at the right time and steal you some playoff games. They wanted a goalie who is elite and can steal playoff series. They thought they were going to get that from Miller and didn't.

Halak = Jimmy Howard. He's a capable NHL starter...he's decently consistent and he'll bring stability to the Islanders in goal which is something they haven't had in forever. 

Montreals run to the conference finals in 2010, who was in net? pretty sure Halak took out Ovechkin and Crosby in the first two rounds. He is by all means a good goalie. Im sure Nabokov would still be a Islander if he were younger though. 

Like I stated, and other have earlier, we are not labeling Halak an elite goalie, because he is not. However, he is unquestionably a quality, and legitimate starting goaltender in the league; something the Islanders have not had since 2007.

Montreals run to the conference finals in 2010, who was in net? pretty sure Halak took out Ovechkin and Crosby in the first two rounds. He is by all means a good goalie. Im sure Nabokov would still be a Islander if he were younger though. 

Are you sure you read my posts correctly? I never said he wasn't a good goalie. Capable NHL starter = good goalie. His run with the Habs that playoffs was good but he hasn't matched it in the playoffs or regular season since. That happens with NHL starting goalies. Ergo, he isn't elite. 

Are you sure you read my posts correctly? I never said he wasn't a good goalie. Capable NHL starter = good goalie. His run with the Habs that playoffs was good but he hasn't matched it in the playoffs or regular season since. That happens with NHL starting goalies. Ergo, he isn't elite. 

you said "St Louis replaced Halak because they wanted more than a capable NHL starter who can sometimes be on at the right time and steal you some playoff games"

i was just stating that he did that. and also i never said he was elite, i was just stating the fact he has stolen series' before. 

I think Halak is a slight upgrade on Nabokov (not counting this season, only when the Isles were competitive), but I don't think the upgrade is as much as you're making it out to be Seth.

I am an Islanders fan as everyone knows, and I can personally tell you that you are rating Nabakov off his reputation. He can be a solid backup for sure, but he is not a legitimate goalie. I think you are underestimating the Islanders goalie situation over the past several years.

I am an Islanders fan as everyone knows, and I can personally tell you that you are rating Nabakov off his reputation. He can be a solid backup for sure, but he is not a legitimate goalie. I think you are underestimating the Islanders goalie situation over the past several years.

Not really. He hasn't been great by any stretch of the imagination and has had the tendency to let up some inopportune goals, but he wasn't awful.

You're talking to a Flyers fan here who went through the whole Ray Emery Brian Boucher Michael Leighton Sergei Bobrovsky Ilya Bryzgalov goalie situation. I think I have an idea of what the Islanders have gone though :P

Not really. He hasn't been great by any stretch of the imagination and has had the tendency to let up some inopportune goals, but he wasn't awful.

You're talking to a Flyers fan here who went through the whole Ray Emery Brian Boucher Michael Leighton Sergei Bobrovsky Ilya Bryzgalov goalie situation. I think I have an idea of what the Islanders have gone though :P

Then you are still truly underestimating the situation, because Nabakov is simply unreliable as a number one goaltender. Halak has proven to play the majority of the games as a starter, at a pretty decent level. Not elite by any means, but I would put him close to the top 15 goalies in the league.

You guys are arguing about solely talent? That's nice except you have to factor in age because the contract isn't a one year deal. Will Nabokov be with the Isles in 4 years? Hell will he even be playing?

The move is smart. /Thread

You guys are arguing about solely talent? That's nice except you have to factor in age because the contract isn't a one year deal. Will Nabokov be with the Isles in 4 years? Hell will he even be playing?

The move is smart. /Thread

I'm not arguing about the context at all. Obviously this is a smart move for the Isles with what you just said. I just don't think the difference in talent is as much as Seth thinks it is.