2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

Keep in mind that Chicago would've had to give up cap space and that means a legit player, Stan might have been reluctant to give up core.

Also there's rumblings that we may have offered Tanev and 24th pick for 1st overall.

If they traded Tanev and 24th for 1st, drafted Myers, then swung a deal for Myers, all while somehow hanging onto 6th... Wow.

I assume you mean drafted one of the Sams?

Regardless I'm guessing that the 24th will be involved in either getting the 1st or Myers so its either Myers or Ekblad, which ever trade works. Only way I see we get both 1st and Myers is if the 6th is involved. Benning is horned out of his mind Reinhart and Bennet, so its likely if we get the first we draft one of those two.

Edited by 8Ovechkin8

If the Canucks still have 6th overall at the end of the day and make a move for #1, why would they draft either Sam? They can get Virtanen or Nylander at #6. That doesn't make sense. If you trade Tanev + 24th for 1st, why draft a forward if you can get one at 6.

I assume you mean drafted one of the Sams?

Regardless I'm guessing that the 24th will be involved in either getting the 1st or Myers so its either Myers or Ekblad, which ever trade works. Only way I see we get both 1st and Myers is if the 6th is involved. Benning is horned out of his mind Reinhart and Bennet, so its likely if we get the first we draft one of those two.

Yeah, Reinhart. Typing too fast for my own good haha

If the Canucks still have 6th overall at the end of the day and make a move for #1, why would they draft either Sam? They can get Virtanen or Nylander at #6. That doesn't make sense. If you trade Tanev + 24th for 1st, why draft a forward if you can get one at 6.

Because the Canucks don't have too many prospects at forward who can make an impact.

Yes but length of the contract doesn't matter in this trade as much. Both are 32 years old and Umberger actually makes only 150k less than Hartnell and also has only 92 points in the past 2 ½ seasons. Hartnell is a better player, even if he is declining, so is Umberger and he is doing it as a lower level to start with.

Little late, but yes it does. Purely from a cap management perspective, just based on the players on the current roster, Voracek, Schenn (RFA), Couturier (RFA), and Coburn will all need new contracts for the 16-17 season. Clearing Hartnell/Umberger's  cap hit 3 seasons earlier will go a long way to making sure that all 4 of these players stay on the roster. Not only that, but next off-season, Umberger can be bought out for only a $1.6 million cap hit for 3 years, something that can be absorbed with some of our defensive prospects that should be making an appearance in that time frame (Morin, Hagg, Ghostisbere).

From a hockey standpoint, while Hartnell has been a solid complimentary player on just about every successful line the Flyers have had when he's been here (Hartnell/Carter/Lupul, Leino/Briere/Hartnell, etc...) and he's good for 25-25-50 every year, last season was the first where Hartnell became a pretty obvious anchor at ES play and lagged pretty far behind Giroux and Voracek. With the emergence of Simmonds (and to a lesser extent, Raffl) and the idea that B. Schenn will finally play wing instead of center (where I think he belongs), Hartnell didn't have a role on this team. Umberger should fill in nicely on the 3rd line with either Couturier/Read if Lecavalier isn't moved or with Laughton/Raffl if Vinny is.

Hextall has a lot of cleaning up to do after Holmgren. While Paul is a great elevator of talent, his asset management and team building leaves a lot to be desired.

RE: Vinny - if he is moved, expect it to be after July 1st, which is when he's due a $2 mil bonus.

Flyers, the only thing is that Umberger disappears. So unless the the Flyers are rebuilding/retooling it doesn't make sense. Keep in mind it's well known Umberger isn't the best locker room guy. My uncle says when R.J. came out of Ohio State the coaching staff was glad he was finally done, which is touch to say and feel towards a college athlete.

I don't know, not to keen on that deal from a Philly standpoint.

Sandro, If you have 1st overall and you traded a stud defenseman to get it but also have a 6th overall to select a forward, you don't draft a forward at #1 with a stud defenseman slated to go there. Defenseman are not a dime a dozen.

Flyers, the only thing is that Umberger disappears. So unless the the Flyers are rebuilding/retooling it doesn't make sense. Keep in mind it's well known Umberger isn't the best locker room guy. My uncle says when R.J. came out of Ohio State the coaching staff was glad he was finally done, which is touch to say and feel towards a college athlete.

I don't know, not to keen on that deal from a Philly standpoint.

Hartnell disappears as well. He somehow went about 26 games or so without an assist last season, all while playing on the 1st PP and with Giroux and Voracek.

As to the retool...pretty much, yeah. Our defense (still) has to somehow be rebuilt during Giroux's prime, and it's not like we have a ton of assets to give up. Trading Morin, Hagg, or Ghostisbere is counter-productive, while our only forward propsect of note is Laughton, who doesn't project to be more than a 2/3C.

I think this is the first of a couple trades that the Flyers could be in that aren't the best deals from an on-ice perspective, but are needed in order to manage the cap in future seasons.

Uhhh...

@DarrenDreger 16m

Canucks and Panthers still talking. Van offer for 1st pick believed to be 6th, 24th and last years 1st rnd pick, Hunter Shinkaruk. #TSN

They said they were out, apparently they're back in. I wish they were still out, that's not even remotely worth it.

So if the Canucks don't make any more trades or do anything in free agency, I hope the lineup looks something like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Corrado

Stanton

Lack

Markstrom

The only change I'd really make to that is to move Hansen for picks and re-sign Santorelli for a couple years to slot in there at 3RW. Plus, if Bonino isn't up to the task then maybe Santo can step back in and hold the 2C spot down for a little while. I just want to see the Canucks bring in the kids and become exciting to watch again, even if they miss the playoffs. Wouldn't mind re-signing Weber for depth either.

Edited by Sandro

So if the Canucks don't make any more trades or do anything in free agency, I hope the lineup looks something like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Corrado

Stanton

Lack

Markstrom

The only change I'd really make to that is to move Hansen for picks and re-sign Santorelli for a couple years to slot in there at 3RW. Plus, if Bonino isn't up to the task then maybe Santo can step back in and hold the 2C spot down for a little while. I just want to see the Canucks bring in the kids and become exciting to watch again, even if they miss the playoffs. Wouldn't mind re-signing Weber for depth either.

Connor McDavid to Vancouver.

Connor McDavid to Vancouver.

Not expecting them to compete, but I think you're underestimating that roster now that Torts is gone.

Vey is good, Nuck fans. Will be on your roster next year.

Kid named Linden, former Medicine Hat Tiger... Totally destined to be a Canuck haha

Edited by Sandro