VHLM Waiver Discussion

Incentive vs reward. You want to give them upfront points sure, I can understand that.

But I prefer to reward the active ones that keep checking back, hence the achievement tracker and facility.

Really speaking a large percentage of players never are interested enough to stay past the Vhlm, but the few that do are usually quality players and you want to reward their efforts. We don't want just any individual here, u want quality imo. You want th e people that make Pts, the ones that contribute.

Yes but you want your league to grow too. Fong, I'm going to assume you didn't read any of the 14 pages before this. We we to GROW, not stand still. Rewarding them at the start may give them that boost they need to think they are actually doing something. The SHL rewards every create a player with 150 Points upon creation. All we'd be doing is giving them 10 TPE through training camp to get their motors running.

If you seriously feel rewarding the active ones at the end of the season is more valuable than giving all new first gens a chance at the start, then maybe thats wrong with the VHLM. Then all you have to do is make an Achievement tracker at thend that could win you 10 TPE again. Basically equally the 20 you'd get if you were active. Example:

10 TPE from VHLM Training Camp in Pre-Season

0-10 TPE from Achievement Tracker in Postseason (depending on your stats)

Originally we wanted training camps but people complained vhlmers get too much free TPE.

Well the example I gave doesn't give them any more then they would've got. It just gives incentive to First-gens in their first VHLM training camp.

Yes but you want your league to grow too. Fong, I'm going to assume you didn't read any of the 14 pages before this. We we to GROW, not stand still. Rewarding them at the start may give them that boost they need to think they are actually doing something. The SHL rewards every create a player with 150 Points upon creation. All we'd be doing is giving them 10 TPE through training camp to get their motors running.

If you seriously feel rewarding the active ones at the end of the season is more valuable than giving all new first gens a chance at the start, then maybe thats wrong with the VHLM. Then all you have to do is make an Achievement tracker at thend that could win you 10 TPE again. Basically equally the 20 you'd get if you were active. Example:

10 TPE from VHLM Training Camp in Pre-Season

0-10 TPE from Achievement Tracker in Postseason (depending on your stats)

I could see it being split like that.

Would also help the new members who are on teams that aren't that good since they'll most likely end up with more TPE than they would have if they only had the Achievement Tracker.

I could see it being split like that.

Would also help the new members who are on teams that aren't that good since they'll most likely end up with more TPE than they would have if they only had the Achievement Tracker.

Exactly.

I find the while Achievement tracker rewards activity, in some circumstances it rewards your team performance as well. If we auto claim these guys onto bad teams, then they won't really get much from the Achievement Tracker. This way everyone gets something if they pay attention, with incentive to get move if they stay active all season.

Can I give input as a new player?

If you're not a fan of awarding points right off the bat, you could do what Sterling is suggesting by making the attribute values customizable but equal to the 40 average. 

I like the idea of giving new members some points at the start so their player has some difference from others. No need to mess with anything else in terms of the achievement tracker.

I concur, it offers a sense of encouragement that garnering TPE isn't too difficult (which it's not), and allows new members to customize their players instantaneously. 

VHLM training camp sounds like a good idea, but I also like the idea of watering down the achievement tracker at the same time. 

It's about finding the right balance.

I like the idea of giving new members some points at the start so their player has some difference from others. No need to mess with anything else in terms of the achievement tracker.

The reason I said balance it like bookends of a season is because if you give 10 TPE at the start and potentially 20 at the end, added to the first 3 PT's being doubled, we pretty much are guaranteeing new players a potential 48 TPE for free.

But then again you do bring up a good point. If a first-gen has the ability to do VHLM Training camp and Achievement it could be nice, but a second-gen can only do Tracker.

• Head Moderator

I read thru the first 14 pages. How do you think I got into th the Vhlm team ownership discussion lol.

I just find all this ironic because I suggested these all years ago, but were shut down for various reasons that I'm just showing you guys now lol.

I asked why we didn't start with free toe like other leagues especially and was told to do Pts lol.

I read thru the first 14 pages. How do you think I got into th the Vhlm team ownership discussion lol.

I just find all this ironic because I suggested these all years ago, but were shut down for various reasons that I'm just showing you guys now lol.

I asked why we didn't start with free toe like other leagues especially and was told to do Pts lol.

Who cares Fong, we are discussing it now. No one cares if it was discussed awhile back and got shut down, we are trying to right a ship now.

Who cares Fong, we are discussing it now. No one cares if it was discussed awhile back and got shut down, we are trying to right a ship now.

Logic has never been so beautiful!

• Head Moderator

I care cuz i was the one that got shut down lol.

I'm not against doing all this though but the base problem is still there. There isn't enough interaction at the Vhlm level currently. Interaction keeps people interested, not just free points. Look for something to cure the sickness, not the system.

I'm not against doing all this though but the base problem is still there. There isn't enough interaction at the Vhlm level currently. Interaction keeps people interested, not just free points. Look for something to cure the sickness, not the system.

We are doing that, I think this thread has already helped quite a bit with the changes that were made to the Waiver system and by putting some pressure on the VHLM-GMs to be more active. Obviously there could still be done more but apparently there is no majority for more drastic moves like reducing the number of VHLM teams from 10 to 6.

Uh…what? We are fixing the system so the sickness never comes back. Giving free points goes a long way

• Head Moderator

Free points doesn't fix the interaction, it's a sign up bonus incentive type idea.

Generally speaking Vhlm game threads don't have many people posting in them, I think something needs to be done about it so people talk and chat more in those posts. I think K that would go a long way.

Free points doesn't fix the interaction, it's a sign up bonus incentive type idea.

Generally speaking Vhlm game threads don't have many people posting in them, I think something needs to be done about it so people talk and chat more in those posts. I think K that would go a long way.

Less people in VHLM will always result in less discussions, in game threads.

Yeah but you can't force people to post in those threads. The point of this was to garner attention and get the ball rolling on making our drafts better. With that comes interest, and from interest they start posting. Keeping them interested at the start if half the battle.

• Head Moderator

Yeah but you can't force people to post in those threads. The point of this was to garner attention and get the ball rolling on making our drafts better. With that comes interest, and from interest they start posting. Keeping them interested at the start if half the battle.

I was thinking more of having people in our community begin discussion in various threads. Like howmany times has nagger started a huge thread just by posting a nagger comment in one?

Kind of like a community conversation starter or initiator type.

I was thinking more of having people in our community begin discussion in various threads. Like howmany times has nagger started a huge thread just by posting a nagger comment in one?

Kind of like a community conversation starter or initiator type.

Yes but we are saying is that if you expand your member base then you are able to do that. The reason there isn't as much discussion is cause everyone knows each others stance on things and that why they don't talk. We are speaking on the VHLM here fong. I don't think you are understanding what we are trying to get at.

• Head Moderator

No we a're talking about diff things

I'm saying we have people start conversations in the Vhlm. Like finding a some way where someone in the vhl wants to know what's going on in the Vhlm game threads, not just putting th is on new players or Vhlm only people.

the reason i am not claiming anyone is because last season when i did, they went inactive/semi-active because of being on a shitty team...you say you are not pointing fingers yet you point to me and Toast...and when you are saying "Do we need to take a look at the way it is done by VHLM GM's again?" then maybe we should "look at" VHL GMs who like tampering with players from other teams.

No we a're talking about diff things

I'm saying we have people start conversations in the Vhlm. Like finding a some way where someone in the vhl wants to know what's going on in the Vhlm game threads, not just putting th is on new players or Vhlm only people.

Those things aren't mutually exclusive though. Obviously we should promote activity in the VHLM-sections but this can't be the only step we take...