Another disappointing off-season for Seattle

Beketov

• Commissioner

Things weren't supposed to be this way.

When the Seattle Bears came into the Season 51 off-season things were looking up. Top Free Agents had expressed interest, they had the exclusive rights to two top players early; with a third likely coming along in tow. A big trade early saw a top tier forward [Odinsson] join the team followed closely by the signing of one of the afore-mentioned top players [Kyanon]. And then everything fell apart.

Free Agents such as Phil Hamilton and Unassisted, that had previously expressed great interest in joining the Bears, signed elsewhere; leaving Seattle as the unfortunate "2nd choice" that ultimately gets nothing. Other free agents soon followed suit with none joining the Washington based club. In addition, some of these signings almost definitely signal the falling through of deals that had seemed so promising early on in the off-season. The team that looked poised and ready to strike in the North American conference has once again come up short in Free Agency and looks to likely be sitting in 3rd once again. While that outcome would still put them in the playoffs, some of the Bears players can't help but be disappointed in how things have gone.

"On one hand, it's great to have Odinsson and Kyanon in the locker room, they are amazing guys. On the other hand though, things were looking far better for us going into free agency than they do now."

Said goaltender Jakab Holik who's entering his 5th season in the VHL.

"I'm not sure exactly why we always end up as 2nd or 3rd choice instead of 1st but I am starting to get very tired of being one or two pieces away from a cup. Not only did we not get some of the big names we were hoping for but we lost some as well such as Gow. I'm trying to keep my hopes up that things will turn around or the season will be better than I expect but it feels exactly like it did last season."

In season 51, of course, the Legion and Wranglers dominated the North American conference and left little room for the Bears to breath. With the Americans not getting all the pieces they hoped either this season could be much of the same.

"We are still a relatively young team but we are starting to get older. For some of us there isn't a lot of time left for maybes. I want to see the cup come back to Seattle but it's tough to stay positive when no one wants to give you a chance."

With the Clegane brothers and Ariel Weinstein all retiring at the end of Season 52 the face of the league could change dramatically after this season. While Holik deems Seattle's prospects as bleak currently a sun could be rising for the Bears soon. Only time will tell. If the season 43 Bears could pull it off; the season 52 Bears, and beyond, could definitely do it as well. For now another off-season is coming to a close with still fewer changes to the Bears lineup than expected.

*For Holik

Edited by Beketov

• Commissioner
Just now, gregreg said:

The fact people let Toronto keep going when they should in a rebuild is a joke. I hope Seattle wins and Toronto misses the playoffs 

Even if their forwards were terrible, which they definitely aren't, I don't see Toronto missing the playoffs with Clegane and both Hamilton's. The defensive power is too strong.

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

Even if their forwards were terrible, which they definitely aren't, I don't see Toronto missing the playoffs with Clegane and both Hamilton's. The defensive power is too strong.

I SAID HOPE!!! :)

• Commissioner
Just now, Victor said:

If it's not a Clegane or Weinstein, it won't make a difference.

Why you always gotta disrespect me :(

• Commissioner
Just now, Victor said:

that was on the assumption Seattle wasn't trading you

but also you suck <3

Yeah because the odds of you, Jardy or Smarch being traded are just so high haha

• Commissioner
Just now, gregreg said:

I'm going to give them player for free 

Cool, thanks for pushing us out then haha.

Playoffs aside I'm predicting the Conference to be:

1. Calgary

2. Toronto

3. Seattle

4. NY

5. Quebec

• Commissioner
Just now, flyersfan1493 said:

Regarding me, I was always going to test free agency regardless of where I was traded from Helsinki., which I told every GM that asked. That didn't exclude re-signing with Seattle, but I was hitting FA regardless.

I know that. We knew going into the season that you would be at least testing the market. I just mentioned you specifically because you were a part of the team last season and have unfortunately gone another direction this year.

People really need to remember forwards make this league. :P NY out of the playoffs? Every other team in NY doesn't even have 6 forwards, much less 6 actives like we do. Remember 1100 TPE isn't different than the 800+ STZ has or Lincoln has. :P 

Best forward group in the entire league in NY, and yes we have a goalie let me just go accept that trade. 

Although I will say @Victor this Toronto team really reminds me of those old Bushito days in Davos. A few star D, a few star forward, and a star goalie. Who needs depth? :P Granted it worked for them in 31....against New York in the finals no less. :hmm: 

Edited by Mr. Power