Top 50 Players of 2016 Deliberations

Tagger

For those of you who haven't read my media spot I posted yesterday, my intentions are to make a media spot (for either late next week or early week after) about a ranking of the top 50 VHL players of 2016, but there's a lot of things to think about before I begin to my list together in regards to how it should be composed.

- Should I do it based on a players impact over the entirety of 2016 or should I just base it off how well they played in the season they had the most impact? How I decide to go with this would have the biggest effect on a player like Bismarck Koenig, who absolutely killed it in Season 47, winning 4 end-of-season awards, but as this was also his last season, his impact on 2016 as a whole may not be as much as quite a few more players.

- Should I focus more on the impact a player had for his teams (ala more like the MVP voting) or more on his pure statistical output (ala more like the Most Outstanding voting)? Again, a guy like Koenig would be a good example to use here, while his stats in Season 47 were already very impressive, his stock only gets better when you look at it from an MVP standpoint, as he had over 30 points more than the next highest scoring player on the team.

- Should I factor in playoff stats? This will likely be a yes as ultimately a ranking of players of 2016 would mean a lot less if I didn't include around 2 months of playing time on there. 

- Should I write it in poll format? Absolutely.

Nah, just kidding, I'll make sure it's an easy to read article. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

So, who would be you guys' picks for the best VHL player of 2016? 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

Tough to argue with Wingate. 4 cups in 2016, awards all over the place. I'd say O'Malley but I believe some of his tenure was 2015, where I think Wingate was literally all of 2016. 

For clarification, 2016 was Season 47 onwards, so the vast majority of O'Malley's career was actually 2015 (S47 was his last season) and Wingate's career was split 50/50 between 2015 and 2016 (so three cups since it wouldn't include his S44 victory).

Still think Wingate will definitely have a good shout at the award, as would any of the star players on that threepeat roster. 

2 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

From what it seems, 2016 could basically be Toronto's to hold.

Wingate, Molholt, Parechkin, Black Velvet. Phil Hamilton as well.

I'm not sure who else could crack the top 5 in terms of yearly consistency.

That depends a bit on how much we are going to credit each of them for the cups, because Toronto winning 3/6 Cups will give the guys who were there at least a 1 or 2 lead on most players. The following opinions are for the most part disregarding cups, which obviously shouldn't be entirely ignored, but I'm lazy right now.

Honestly, I think both Cleganes and Weinstein will be ahead of Wingate. He had a bad S47 and he only won a single top goalie during this time. Both Cleganes have 1.5 and Weinstein has been consistent. Plus those guys played more in 2016. I suppose the cups could help Wingate a bit, but statistically, the S45 goalies are likely all ahead of him. Wingate might have Weinstein beat though, as Weinstein has been consistent, but consistently 2nd or 3rd best.

Edwin Reencarnacion will probably be close even with playing two fewer seasons. I'd say he should definitely be ahead of Wingate. They played in the same seasons, and Reencarnacion may have been the best player during the S47-S50 stretch (and he did win two cups, so it's not like he's far behind in that regard).

Koponen could definitely be top five. Unassisted as well.

tl;dr Wingate won't be number one and honestly imo probably shouldn't even crack top five, but cups could maybe give him the edge over the Cleganes

Edited by Streetlite

On 12/25/2016 at 5:11 PM, Mr. Power said:

Tough to argue with Wingate. 4 cups in 2016, awards all over the place. I'd say O'Malley but I believe some of his tenure was 2015, where I think Wingate was literally all of 2016. 

Except he only has three cups, which isn't quite as standout. He's definitely not number one.

(Though now finishing your post I see you had been attributing more of Wingate's career to 2016).

On 12/25/2016 at 4:56 PM, YEAH!stlemania said:

- Should I do it based on a players impact over the entirety of 2016 or should I just base it off how well they played in the season they had the most impact? How I decide to go with this would have the biggest effect on a player like Bismarck Koenig, who absolutely killed it in Season 47, winning 4 end-of-season awards, but as this was also his last season, his impact on 2016 as a whole may not be as much as quite a few more players.

- Should I focus more on the impact a player had for his teams (ala more like the MVP voting) or more on his pure statistical output (ala more like the Most Outstanding voting)? Again, a guy like Koenig would be a good example to use here, while his stats in Season 47 were already very impressive, his stock only gets better when you look at it from an MVP standpoint, as he had over 30 points more than the next highest scoring player on the team.

- Should I factor in playoff stats? This will likely be a yes as ultimately a ranking of players of 2016 would mean a lot less if I didn't include around 2 months of playing time on there. 

- Should I write it in poll format? Absolutely.

Also, to actually answer some of these questions

-Definitely the entirety of 2016 imo, though it'll be more difficult to do as such

-I personally think it should be for the most part a statistical comparison, without regards for the "value" they provided the team. If it were just going to be the top season, then maybe, but if it is going to be the entirety of the year, then I think it would throw too much deliberation in there to compare impact. I don't think it should necessarily be completely ignored, though.

-Playoff stats, yeah probably. I don't see why not.

-No comment on the poll format.

2 minutes ago, Streetlite said:

@YEAH!stlemania I'll make a spreadsheet of just S47-S52 stats for you when the season ends. (I could make it just S47-S51 for now and add the rest later).

The S47-51 would certainly be very handy. It's going to be my media article for next week (2nd Jan) so I'll be able to cover all games through 2016.

Just now, YEAH!stlemania said:

The S47-51 would certainly be very handy. It's going to be my media article for next week (2nd Jan) so I'll be able to cover all games through 2016.

I could add the S52 from 2016 as well on Monday morning.

I wasn't sure if you were going to strictly be looking at only 2016 or if you were just going to include the rest of S52 because the majority of the season falls in here (and that way if you end up doing this again next year, you don't have to either 1) disregard a portion of S52 or 2) individually add up the stats from the final 14 or so games from the season.

Just now, Streetlite said:

I could add the S52 from 2016 as well on Monday morning.

I wasn't sure if you were going to strictly be looking at only 2016 or if you were just going to include the rest of S52 because the majority of the season falls in here (and that way if you end up doing this again next year, you don't have to either 1) disregard a portion of S52 or 2) individually add up the stats from the final 14 or so games from the season.

That's a good point, if I wanted to do it next season, it would be awkward to find out S52 stats for the early part of the year. I'll have to have a think about that. 

12 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

From what it seems, 2016 could basically be Toronto's to hold.

Wingate, Molholt, Parechkin, Black Velvet. Phil Hamilton as well.

I'm not sure who else could crack the top 5 in terms of yearly consistency.

Don't act like Hamilton is Toronto's son, he came from another city.

2 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Don't act like Hamilton is Toronto's son, he came from another city.

Who's saying that? This is only his first season in Toronto. :lol:

Also, ya...I should probably have thrown Reencarnacion and Koponen in there probably as well. The Cleganes easily make the list.

So, made some decisions on how I'm going to approach this: 

- I will be doing it based purely on 2016. Since I imagine we've already done the last sim of 2016 (and if not, I can always use the technicality that it was certainly the last sim of GMT 2016), I've compiled spreadsheets of how every team has done to this point in S52, just so 1) I won't have to constantly use subtraction as the league progresses and 2) make it easier for if I ever wanted to do 2017.

- I'll be doing it based on career as opposed to best season.

- I'll mainly focus on stats to determine rankings, but I will use a player's impact/importance if I feel that it is relevant in certain cases.

- It won't be in poll format, but I'll probably open it with a poll to see who people think is the best player of 2016.

27 minutes ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

- I will be doing it based purely on 2016. Since I imagine we've already done the last sim of 2016 (and if not, I can always use the technicality that it was certainly the last sim of GMT 2016), I've compiled spreadsheets of how every team has done to this point in S52, just so 1) I won't have to constantly use subtraction as the league progresses and 2) make it easier for if I ever wanted to do 2017.

So would you like me to make a spreadsheet of overall stats (S47 to present) for you tomorrow morning?