The Top Leader award is dumb and we should get rid of it

scoop

For the first time since S41, it looks like we will have a Top Leader who isn't one of @Phil, @DollarAndADream, or @Green. Where the award goes from here, who knows. That all just depends on when any one of those three becomes a captain again.

None of Phil Shankly, Zach Parechkin, and Pietro Maximoff are slated to be a captain (including alternate) this season, which means they will all be ineligible for the Grimm Jonsson Trophy. That really opens up the award for others around the league. So who are some possible candidates?

I personally think any of the New York captains should be in consideration at the end of the season, but I'm in the New York locker room so I have more exposure to them. I don't know what other locker rooms are like. Bogdan Podarok of Seattle and Fabio Jokinen of Quebec are the other two standouts in the North American Conference. From the European Conference, Theo Axelsson of the Titans is maybe the only player outside of Stockholm who I was look to for a possible choice. I think the most likely winner, if he's a captain, is Shawn Muller of the Vikings. However, he is playing just his first season with the team, though I would not be surprised if part of his agreement to sign with the team was that he would be named a captain. Muller received two votes in the S52 ballot, being the only player on the ballot who wasn't one of "the big three leaders."

for mist4ke

Edited by Streetlite

3 minutes ago, Green said:

Wow, actually honored to be mentioned here after my 1/3rd Grimm Jonsson :D

Yeah, for some reason I didn't realize that was the only one you had. But you always seem to be in consideration and getting votes.

Makes the award look even worse imo. Top Leader and Most Sportsmanlike should just be deleted.

• Commissioner

Top Leader and Most Sportsmanlike, IMO, both shouldn't exist. There's barely any tangible way to actually award them and a lot of times it just ends up being a crapshoot based on basically nothing.

Without being present in the locker rooms it's impossible to tell who's being a good leader (and a lot of times it isn't even one of the captains) so that one is near impossible to vote for. Meanwhile sportsmanlike is just masssively I'll-defined and usually just goes to someone with pretty low PIM which seems like a pretty boring thing to reward someone for.

I think it would be far more interesting to have something like the Jennings trophy (fewest goals against) since goalies only have 1 possible award right now (MVP awards aside obviously but it's still way less than players have). We could also have it as lowest GAA which isn't consistent with the NHL but it would result in the same player for our purposes (since all goalies play the same amount basically). Not sure who to name it after (With shaw and Kanou already) but still. I'd rather see that brought in and have the above 2 retired.

Edited by Beketov

4 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Top Leader and Most Sportsmanlike, IMO, both shouldn't exist. There's barely any tangible way to actually award them and a lot of times it just ends up being a crapshoot based on basically nothing.

Without being present in the locker rooms it's impossible to tell who's being a good leader (and a lot of times it isn't even one of the captains) so that one is near impossible to vote for. Meanwhile sportsmanlike is just masssively I'll-defined and usually just goes to someone with pretty low PIM which seems like a pretty boring thing to reward someone for.

I think it would be far more interesting to have something like the Jennings trophy (fewest goals against) since goalies only have 1 possible award right now. We could also have it as lowest GAA but if we wanted to keep it consistent with the NHL it would be fewest goals (having played a certain amount of games). Plus that way Kanou could have an award named after him. I'd rather see that brought in and have the above 2 retired.

The playoff MVP award is named after Kanou.

There has been some talk in the BOG about these two awards. I can't remember exactly where we've gotten to with it. Also splitting the top defenseman into offensive/defensive. No talk has been made of creating a secondary award for goalies.

• Commissioner
Just now, Streetlite said:

The playoff MVP award is named after Kanou.

There has been some talk in the BOG about these two awards. I can't remember exactly where we've gotten to with it. Also splitting the top defenseman into offensive/defensive. No talk has been made of creating a secondary award for goalies.

I remembered that and edited it. Wingate could be an option maybe, or one of the older goalies.

I would say if we want to keep the same amount of awards then it would be nice to have top defenseman split (plus it makes the voting more fair) and bring in a lowest GAA award. Forwards have at least 5 awards that they can get and goalies can't (6 if you count leadership since goalies are rarely allowed to be official captains) and yet goalies only have 1. Plus 3 of the player awards (goals, assists, points) can't be disputed so it would be nice to give goalies the same treatment in at least 1 category.

#Beke4BOG @Phil haha

Just now, TheLastOlympian07 said:

i couldnt believe i had votes. i almost had more votes than @Phil. like what is up with that

I voted for you in protest of the award.

But also with how much they've already won it, it took me very little thought to vote for you out of the four options that I had.

1 minute ago, Streetlite said:

I voted for you in protest of the award.

But also with how much they've already won it, it took me very little thought to vote for you out of the four options that I had.

how i feel the award is its just the phil or daad award. it is warranted because they are great guys on the boards and i totally see where it comes from but most people i think just vote for them without putting though into it but whatever ill take my votes and move on, my claim to fame, almost had more Grimm votes than Phil one season

2 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

how i feel the award is its just the phil or daad award. it is warranted because they are great guys on the boards and i totally see where it comes from but most people i think just vote for them without putting though into it but whatever ill take my votes and move on, my claim to fame, almost had more Grimm votes than Phil one season

If that's what the award is (which I totally agree, it is) then we should just scrap it (which I totally agree, we should).

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

I think it would be far more interesting to have something like the Jennings trophy (fewest goals against) since goalies only have 1 possible award right now (MVP awards aside obviously but it's still way less than players have). We could also have it as lowest GAA which isn't consistent with the NHL but it would result in the same player for our purposes (since all goalies play the same amount basically). Not sure who to name it after (With shaw and Kanou already) but still. I'd rather see that brought in and have the above 2 retired.

should name the award after a totally useless player, would fit GAA perfectly :P

Edited by The Bread Man

I never really understood it either. I mean, it basically goes to whoever is really active on the site and supporting their team, while posting in all the game threads for their team as well, I guess?

I always thought it was a Phil award basically. But then in the season where he didn't have a player, I finally won the award after losing whenever he was in. I guess I gained momentum from there, because him and I tied and shared the award, then sometimes I outright won.

I mean, obviously, I get it. I love getting the award because it shows the stuff I do is appreciated, but who knows what the train of thought is of every single person who votes? I'm guessing most of the time, people who vote from their team just vote for their captain, or whoever did the most in their LR that has a letter.

I always thought it should either go to Phil, ADwyer, or Ruutu. ADwyer and Ruutu deserve one for all the effort they put here and teamwork.

I know Seattle is thinking of giving me a letter so I can still be in the running for this, but it doesn't really matter to me. If they want to do that, then cool. I might still lose to ADwyer or Ruutu anyways. But if I'm not in the running then that's fine as well. Some of the predictions right now already have people auto predicting me for the award, even though I might not be in the running, which is funny.